10 Second Club Now you are haulin! 10s are sweet

10.3 pass with 404 stroker transam

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 04:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10.3 pass with 404 stroker transam

I managed to get a 10.3 at 130 out of my transam this weekend in Shreveport on a 150 shot. The nitrous was only working half decent as this pass should have been around 134+ at around 10.0. I ran an 11.05 with a 121.78 mph trap on motor a few minutes later. My car is full interior, full weight, full exhaust (no cutout) and only has weld draglites for weight reduction. It has an iron block and strange 12bolt for added weight The DA was 2500ft at about 82 degrees for this pass. My 11.05 pass corrected to 10.71 at 125ish mph. Anyway......... here's a video.

Anyone else having lackluster gains from a 150 shot? It seems that the 100 hp jets in the NX kit do just as good or better than the 150s in my car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNDa5fkgJzU
Old 10-27-2010, 03:53 PM
Staging Lane

Awaiting approval for a "10 Second Club" Title.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:19 AM
10 Second Club

Nice pass. What trans are you running?
Old 10-31-2010, 09:57 PM
10 Second Club

Congrats on the 10 second pass. Feels good huh!
Hope you get them 9's here soon. Your close!
Old 10-31-2010, 10:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

wow thats a good pass. Whats your set up?
Old 11-01-2010, 10:35 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys!

My setup is: trick flow 225cc heads ported by TEA, yella terra roller rockers, custom pat g cam 242/246 at around 607 lift, texas speed 1 7/8" headers through a magnaflow full exhaust (no cutout yet), fast 102/102, tci underdrive pulley, double roller timing set, ls7 lifters, arp head bolts and main studs, ...... that about covers it.

I went 10.9 on motor but just discovered an issue with super high IATs due to a custom "hot air" kit I had fabricated lol. I should be 10.7 capable on motor in the best air when I get it dialed in.

The car is full weight plus with an iron block lq4 and the strange 12 bolt. Probably over 3800 lb race weight with me in it.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:50 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by madden
Thanks guys!

My setup is: trick flow 225cc heads ported by TEA, yella terra roller rockers, custom pat g cam 242/246 at around 607 lift, texas speed 1 7/8" headers through a magnaflow full exhaust (no cutout yet), fast 102/102, tci underdrive pulley, double roller timing set, ls7 lifters, arp head bolts and main studs, ...... that about covers it.

I went 10.9 on motor but just discovered an issue with super high IATs due to a custom "hot air" kit I had fabricated lol. I should be 10.7 capable on motor in the best air when I get it dialed in.

The car is full weight plus with an iron block lq4 and the strange 12 bolt. Probably over 3800 lb race weight with me in it.
Yeah those IATs looked pretty warm for last friday night. I got to looking at my all motor logs and the highest my IATs got were 55*
Old 11-03-2010, 09:18 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by StreetSilverado
Yeah those IATs looked pretty warm for last friday night. I got to looking at my all motor logs and the highest my IATs got were 55*
Blaine,

When I originally fabricated the "hot air intake" that was on my car, I had estimated that any heat issues would be minor and that I would get a greater volume of air..... but, I was unsure of how well it was going to work. I had kind of forgotten about the potential hot air issues as the car was running pretty good (only about .05 seconds behind you on that Sunday and you are running very good). Then.... when the air was awesome last Friday, I was .2 seconds slower than you. When you pointed out my high IATs, I realized that it made sense. In fact, the first pass I made off of the trailer was pretty good even with my corvette wheels and had the trap speed to run a 10.9 but the track was slick and it didn't hook. After the first pass I switched to the weld draglites and didn't get any faster due to the fact that I had heat soaked my engine bay and was sucking hot air. My car was running like it was 85 degrees outside while we had 45 degree air. I have since converted back to a factory air lid style and moved the IAT forward a few inches. The IATs fell into line and I'm ready to test her again! I think that I may have less cfm air flow through the intake tube but I'm betting she's faster now. Thanks for your help the other night!
Old 11-03-2010, 09:36 AM
9 Second Club

Blaine,

When I originally fabricated the "hot air intake" that was on my car, I had estimated that any heat issues would be minor and that I would get a greater volume of air..... but, I was unsure of how well it was going to work. I had kind of forgotten about the potential hot air issues as the car was running pretty good (only about .05 seconds behind you on that Sunday and you are running very good). Then.... when the air was awesome last Friday, I was .2 seconds slower than you. When you pointed out my high IATs, I realized that it made sense. In fact, the first pass I made off of the trailer was pretty good even with my corvette wheels and had the trap speed to run a 10.9 but the track was slick and it didn't hook. After the first pass I switched to the weld draglites and didn't get any faster due to the fact that I had heat soaked my engine bay and was sucking hot air. My car was running like it was 85 degrees outside while we had 45 degree air. I have since converted back to a factory air lid style and moved the IAT forward a few inches. The IATs fell into line and I'm ready to test her again! I think that I may have less cfm air flow through the intake tube but I'm betting she's faster now. Thanks for your help the other night!
In fact I actually did pretty much the exact same thing you did on the "hot air intake"

I had went to oreilly's and bought a small filter and sat it straight on top of my throttle body and the IATs were pegging out the IAT gauge on HPT at 160 and pulling 5 degrees of timing. The car had also slowed down from a 7.08 to a 7.24 and from 98MPH to 95MPH.

The car was really moving out the other night though, especially for the weight of it. I'm sure that thing is upwards of 3700-3800lbs.

I put mine on the scales yesterday and forgot about having all the weight in the trunk and it was showing 3,458 without me in it:

Figured that out sat in the car and it tipped the scales at 3,460 with me and the bottle in it. So right at 3,400 with me and without the bottle.

Also, you don't know of anyone that has a decent black lid do you? My 104mm FTP has warped all to crap. I've never had a LID warp, looks like it just got to hot under my hood
Old 11-03-2010, 11:02 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by StreetSilverado
In fact I actually did pretty much the exact same thing you did on the "hot air intake"

I had went to oreilly's and bought a small filter and sat it straight on top of my throttle body and the IATs were pegging out the IAT gauge on HPT at 160 and pulling 5 degrees of timing. The car had also slowed down from a 7.08 to a 7.24 and from 98MPH to 95MPH.

The car was really moving out the other night though, especially for the weight of it. I'm sure that thing is upwards of 3700-3800lbs.

I put mine on the scales yesterday and forgot about having all the weight in the trunk and it was showing 3,458 without me in it:

Figured that out sat in the car and it tipped the scales at 3,460 with me and the bottle in it. So right at 3,400 with me and without the bottle.

Also, you don't know of anyone that has a decent black lid do you? My 104mm FTP has warped all to crap. I've never had a LID warp, looks like it just got to hot under my hood

I don't have any extra lids laying around. In fact, I just bought an SLP lid for my camaro.

I'm glad you told me that about your IATs. My tune kept the car from pulling timing due to the IAT (I had it locked out for the bracket race the other night) I think it was simply the actual air temp that was coming into the motor from under the hood that caused my issue. I bet I was still down 15 rwhp just from the hot air though. The fact that my 60' never improved in that air is a testament to the fact that the hot air under the hood was holding me back. As I traveled down the track, some of the good air was getting things cooled down under the hood; however, the 1/4 mile was over by then.

My best 60' in 85 degree air was 1.51 and I expected a 1.47 to 149 in the good DA.

I almost called you yesterday to discuss this. I'm planning to go back again for the bracket race a week from Saturday to test my new intake setup. Will you be there?
Old 11-03-2010, 11:20 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WHPLASH
Nice pass. What trans are you running?
Just noticed that I didn't answer this..... I have a Level 2 Performabuilt 4L60 that has worked great so far.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:36 PM
9 Second Club

I don't have any extra lids laying around. In fact, I just bought an SLP lid for my camaro.

I'm glad you told me that about your IATs. My tune kept the car from pulling timing due to the IAT (I had it locked out for the bracket race the other night) I think it was simply the actual air temp that was coming into the motor from under the hood that caused my issue. I bet I was still down 15 rwhp just from the hot air though. The fact that my 60' never improved in that air is a testament to the fact that the hot air under the hood was holding me back. As I traveled down the track, some of the good air was getting things cooled down under the hood; however, the 1/4 mile was over by then.

My best 60' in 85 degree air was 1.51 and I expected a 1.47 to 149 in the good DA.

I almost called you yesterday to discuss this. I'm planning to go back again for the bracket race a week from Saturday to test my new intake setup. Will you be there?
Glad you "hopefully" found the problem. Yeah, the track still wasn't all that great though for the drag radial guys anyway.

Are you talking about the bottom bulb race they're having on the 14th I think? If so I'll be there. I'll just take the box out .

Glad to help you out anyway I can even if it's not much of anything lol

Someone with a WS6 made a killer looking looking ram air setup. Tek or JL? I can't remember, but it was sweet looking.

I'll see if I can find the link.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:39 PM
9 Second Club

Found it, you might want to check it out.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...check-out.html
Old 11-14-2010, 08:06 AM
10 Second Club

Just noticed that I didn't answer this..... I have a Level 2 Performabuilt 4L60 that has worked great so far.
I had one of those too. Mine kaboomed in 350 miles and then again after another hundred. That trans was nothing but trouble. I found a good local place that I've been having some good luck with. I was hoping you had something different than the 4l60e. I'd like to swap it out.

Again, great run!!!
Old 11-22-2010, 01:38 AM
Staging Lane

Update:

Did a bit of tweaking to the tune and the air intake setup and managed a 10.89 at 124 spinning this weekend. I also dead hooked and ran a 6.90 1/8 mile pass with a 1.47 60'. but never dead hooked on a 1/4 mile pass. I tried one spay pass and had traction problems and nitrous problems I'll have to wait till next year for a 9 second pass.

Now it's time to install a cutout, 11 lb battery, a better air induction setup, and delete a bit of weight. I also need to tweak the suspension some.

Eventually, I'll add a forced induction setup but not until I optimize the current setup.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:58 PM
TECH Resident

What kinda power do you put down on motor and on spray?
Old 11-25-2010, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any dyno numbers with that 404 setup? Congrates on the pass!!
Old 11-26-2010, 03:17 PM
Staging Lane

No dyno numbers. I tuned the car myself and utilized the track results to dial it in.

Here's the complete setup:

225cc TFS Heads ported by Total Engine Airflow
Yella Terra 1.6 non adjustable Roller Rockers
Custom Pat G. Cam 242/246 .607 lift
LQ4 Iron Block
Eagle Crank and Rods
Wiseco -2cc Forged Pistons
Comp Double Roller Timing Set
ARP Bolts throughout
Texas Speed 1 7/8” Long Tubes
TCI Underdrive Pulley
FAST 102/102
Ford 42lb injectors
Performabuilt Level 2 4L60
TCI 3500 Stall
Strange 4 channel 12 Bolt with 3.73 Gears

I feel that it performs well for the setup and has potential for mid to low tens on motor with some suspension tweaks, exhaust cutout, and minor weight reduction. The cam and stall are very street friendly and leave some on the table as well.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd like to see this car with a ss4000 converter.......
Old 11-29-2010, 07:18 PM
MASS seller approved

Originally Posted by silverz28camaro
I'd like to see this car with a ss4000 converter.......
+cut out,chris1313 ram air and maybe a ported fast if N/A times are important

congrats on the times

Quick Reply: 10.3 pass with 404 stroker transam