10 Second Club Now you are haulin! 10s are sweet

10's for my bolt-on ls6!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is work under the valve covers considered a bolt on when valve-train geometry is affected due to a larger RR?

Honest question, never heard of anyone doing valve-train upgrades and calling it a bolt on.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 168 Likes on 119 Posts

I consider them a bolt on. I also run them on my bolt on ls6 setup.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Rollin out! That trap speed is insane!
Old 11-19-2014, 09:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

******* LS6's.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SLP IROC-Z
So now valve-train upgrades which are internal are considered bolt ONS? Last I checked anything that touched oil wasn't a bolt on.

I guess there are 100 meanings of everything from ever make/model to fit whatever classification they want to fall in but something that affects valve-train geometry is not a bolt on in my opinion and many others.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:11 PM
TECH Resident

You obviously have your own opinion so why did you even ask?
Old 11-20-2014, 05:32 PM
10 Second Club

it's maybe 8 hp anyway so who cares.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Well technically Rockers bolt on lol
Old 11-20-2014, 07:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

so dose a cam , or turbo?
Old 11-20-2014, 08:58 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by big hammer
The little **** that "doesn't really matter" adds up. Even with the extra power from the LS6 over the LS1, without the the roller-rockers, the aero stuff, etc., Doug's car would barely be any quicker than Nathan's car was. He was sitting at ~.5s quicker for a LONG time, with a ~75rwhp advantage. Just saying.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:09 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
The little **** that "doesn't really matter" adds up. Even with the extra power from the LS6 over the LS1, without the the roller-rockers, the aero stuff, etc., Doug's car would barely be any quicker than Nathan's car was. He was sitting at ~.5s quicker for a LONG time, with a ~75rwhp advantage. Just saying.

it was .9 quicker..
Old 11-21-2014, 01:52 AM
***Repost Police***

"was sitting." As in, before this recent outing, where after several years of perfecting techniques he got his 10s slip.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There is a lot more to a lightweight valve-train than just HP gains. Same with the lightweight drivetrain setup which most people overlook and don't understand.

There is no doubt his car is capable of running very quick but IMO calling it a bolt on car when mods are done to the valve-train (which touch oil) is a stretch. Without his drive-train and valve-train setup his car wouldn't be running anything better than other "bolt on" LS6 swapped cars running without belts at his race weight.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by blu1
Is work under the valve covers considered a bolt on when valve-train geometry is affected due to a larger RR?

Honest question, never heard of anyone doing valve-train upgrades and calling it a bolt on.
There are LT cars on the bolt-on list with rockers. Old school 5.0 fox guys used them for bolt-ons also.
Originally Posted by SLP IROC-Z
Ls6's like them.
Originally Posted by bluestreak98
Rollin out! That trap speed is insane!
Thanks man! I think part of it is due to the 3.89 gears and not running out of gear. It probably leaves a little et on the table vs 4.10's but on the street the 389/3.90 gear works better imo.
******* LS6's.

Here is what you inexperience don't see. I went straight for what I know works best on Nathan's car. The "years of perfecting" as you like to put it now lends me and others who read on here to go straight for the gusto.
it was .9 quicker..
And 13+mph. I went .4 quicker than Natan's car on my 18's.
"was sitting." As in, before this recent outing, where after several years of perfecting techniques he got his 10s slip.
Something else you and others fail to see in my "years of perfecting" is I did this the way I wanted it done. Which was no slicks, actually on a tire worthy of rain. No gutting, driving the car to and from with the spare and jack in it. Pump gas.

There is plenty left in it if one wanted to really set the suspension/gear/tire up for drag only. You can tell that from the vid. It's not like I'm leaving on a 2step with a slick at all.
There is a lot more to a lightweight valve-train than just HP gains. Same with the lightweight drivetrain setup which most people overlook and don't understand.

There is no doubt his car is capable of running very quick but IMO calling it a bolt on car when mods are done to the valve-train (which touch oil) is a stretch. Without his drive-train and valve-train setup his car wouldn't be running anything better than other "bolt on" LS6 swapped cars running without belts at his race weight.
Who's running w/o belts? Not me....I even had the jack and spare in the car.

I understand some think the rockers/springs are a no no. Fact is it is a minimal change. The car went 11.1 w/o rockers and on a ls6 intake I ported years ago. The biggest change has been in trap speed with all the stuff I have changed. Tinkering with intakes and rockers and tune has made the engine pick up 30-40wtq through the middle and mostly drove mph up. It seems to just never stop pulling now. Let's not forget everything else is stock......cam timing is stock and running on pump gas.

Now this leads me to question if you think the rockers are a big deal. What do you think about cam timing? Alot of cars these days have the ability to change that with a tune.......to a much more drastic improvement than what I seen with rockers. And the last time I checked the cams "touch oil"....so by your theory they should not be adjusted.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Who's running w/o belts? Not me....I even had the jack and spare in the car.

I understand some think the rockers/springs are a no no. Fact is it is a minimal change. The car went 11.1 w/o rockers and on a ls6 intake I ported years ago. The biggest change has been in trap speed with all the stuff I have changed. Tinkering with intakes and rockers and tune has made the engine pick up 30-40wtq through the middle and mostly drove mph up. It seems to just never stop pulling now. Let's not forget everything else is stock......cam timing is stock and running on pump gas.

Now this leads me to question if you think the rockers are a big deal. What do you think about cam timing? Alot of cars these days have the ability to change that with a tune.......to a much more drastic improvement than what I seen with rockers. And the last time I checked the cams "touch oil"....so by your theory they should not be adjusted.

I thought you were running without the accessories belt on your EWP? My bad for assuming that. I know why your car runs what it does and most people dismiss/overlook those items. I have never called BS on your runs as I know how much lightweight drive-train parts affect how the cars behave at the track, same with light valve-train parts.

I don't think rockers are a big deal, I just don't think they are a bolt on. My experience is anything that touches oil loses the "bolt on" classification. Can't really compare apples to oranges with new technology and tuning. A car can't lose the "bolt on" classification because of the tune no matter what is done in the tune. No parts were swapped out and its not 21st century technologies fault its possible to make big gains in tuning.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

I run all accessories. I do not run the belt around the pump or the tensioner.

Ya see to me changing cam timing is HUGE......via tune or not. It also allows those engines to turn upwards of 1000 more rpm than originally intended. Now i think that capability is great. But it shore stretches what a tune is these days.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:15 AM
TECH Resident

It doesnt really matter anyway, neither of us fit into the bolt on only ls1 class seeing were ls6s. So its not like were on some list somewhere competing against other people. I think Hio and myself are the only ones running ls6s f-bodys that really care about getting every last bit out of them.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:01 PM
10 Second Club

you think his rockers are lighter than stockers? i don't.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:16 PM
wbt
Teching In

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
I run all accessories. I do not run the belt around the pump or the tensioner.

Ya see to me changing cam timing is HUGE......via tune or not. It also allows those engines to turn upwards of 1000 more rpm than originally intended. Now i think that capability is great. But it shore stretches what a tune is these days.
So your argument is since you LS guys can't change your cam timing with a tune, cam and valvetrain upgrades should be considered bolt-on's. GTFO.

ANYTHING that requires a valve cover removal and is internal to the engine should not be considered a bolt on. It is an internal modification.

The mentality of some is baffling. Those who consider a cam swap and heads a bolt on should also consider every single car on the planet a bolt on. Everything from top fuel to Model A's. Everything "bolt's on" to those engines.

BTW - your signature is LOL. I didn't see a backup pass of your 10.7 run posted. I wouldn't claim it.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:50 PM
10 Second Club

there's no butt's that Hio's car hurts more than the 5.br0 loser crew lol

Quick Reply: 10's for my bolt-on ls6!!