10 Second Club Now you are haulin! 10s are sweet

Anyone else ever feel like they ruined their car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone else ever feel like they ruined their car?

I am not sure where to post this but I just have to rant for a second:

I have a 2002 Camaro Z28 M6. (pictured below). I bought the car with a blown motor and decided that I wanted a fun 10s street car that I could daily. And ever since then I feel like I have done everything wrong to get to that point.

I have a 408, viking DA's, then I put a PST driveshaft in, and then I put a 9" in, then I went to a drag package wheel setup, then I decided to be legal at the track I should put a roll bar in, then I decided while I was doing that I should put minitubs in because the rear I bought second hand was narrowed funky and I couldn't fit any tire larger than a 275.

As the car sits it makes 460whp/440wtq, runs 11.78 @ 123.7 and is relatively street friendly as long as I stay out of the rain.

But I just broke the detroit tru trac in the rear and due to budget constraints I can really only afford to put a spool in it, which is likely going to tip the car into barely streetable.

And then theres a guy at my local track with a 408, stock DS, stock rear, no roll bar, no mini tubs, running 10.9 @ 123.

I just sometimes feel that I did everything wrong, and knowing what I know now I would do literally everything different.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm sure that guy is an automatic now. I never once seen what tires you're running, or if you haven't suspension. If you're on radials then you'll likely never get into the 10's on motor if you keep the six speed. Also if you have 28" tires out back you won't really notice the spool. I've had a spool in my car since 07' and it's like it's not even back there.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

I am nowhere as deep into it as you are but for this very reason I already told myself.....
- I will NEVER cage my car
- I will always run some sort of 275 radial
- Little to no weight reduction

If I need to give up a few tenths at the track in order for my car to still be fun to drive on the street then so be it.

I'm glad you made this post for its exactly what I'm trying to avoid in the future.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Well your car sits nice and runs a decent time. Don't be hung up on what somebody else has. So some guy is running quicker? Someone will ALWAYS be quicker. He has a stock rear? So what, your rear makes the car more reliable and gives you less to worry about so you can feel confident beating on it. The blown diff is a little off putting but S happens.

Save up for a nitrous system and put that big n little combo to work.

I would do whatever you can to NOT put a spool in it. - But I may not know what I'm talking about.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blk00ss
I'm sure that guy is an automatic now. I never once seen what tires you're running, or if you haven't suspension. If you're on radials then you'll likely never get into the 10's on motor if you keep the six speed. Also if you have 28" tires out back you won't really notice the spool. I've had a spool in my car since 07' and it's like it's not even back there.
MT ET Street R 325/50/15 (28" tall). Moser 9" MWC torque arm, spohn lCA and panhard. Viking DA shocks and adjustable coils in the back, and Viking DA coilovers on the front.

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
I am nowhere as deep into it as you are but for this very reason I already told myself.....
- I will NEVER cage my car
- I will always run some sort of 275 radial
- Little to no weight reduction

If I need to give up a few tenths at the track in order for my car to still be fun to drive on the street then so be it.

I'm glad you made this post for its exactly what I'm trying to avoid in the future.
The cage doesnt really bother me, its really the minitubs. I feel like I put alot of work into that and they turned out good, but I feel like it was a waste of time.

I mean all and all, its still a full interior, AC car. I just think once the spool is in among the other things its going to kill the streetability. And I really do love driving it, that's why I got the M6 in the first place. More fun on the street.

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Well your car sits nice and runs a decent time. Don't be hung up on what somebody else has. So some guy is running quicker? Someone will ALWAYS be quicker. He has a stock rear? So what, your rear makes the car more reliable and gives you less to worry about so you can feel confident beating on it. The blown diff is a little off putting but S happens.

Save up for a nitrous system and put that big n little combo to work.

I would do whatever you can to NOT put a spool in it. - But I may not know what I'm talking about.
Thanks man, the plan is to go to a big shot of nitrous, (mostly to help justify all the mods I did now that I didn't need. However I can't get the power I have to the ground, especially not on this radial tire. So nitrous isnt gonna do a whole lot for me.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You need some 28" stiff wall slicks. Bottom line.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blk00ss
You need some 28" stiff wall slicks. Bottom line.
I've seen people get their radial M6 cars to do 1.4 60' so its not impossible. I know a slick would be easier but I really wanted a radial for street-ability.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:12 PM
Launching!

I literally felt like this after the 9" went in. Then after i gutted the rear seats I definitely felt it, and now want a bone stock one just to get that feeling back.

Whatever. It's fast. **** it!
Old 08-29-2016, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

Got pics of the rear hatch and tubs?
Old 08-29-2016, 03:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KingPin1094
And I really do love driving it, that's why I got the M6 in the first place. More fun on the street.

You kind of answered your own question. If you still enjoy the car the answer is no. I have never driven a spool on the street but I think that would put it over the edge. Wait until you can afford to put the right parts in the car and keep enjoying it like you have been.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive my spool on the street, don't really notice it unless backing in a tight spot. Even then a little more gas and it gets moving. I do have an auto though.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

uuuuck...reading that makes me cringe. BIND BIND BIND
Old 08-29-2016, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Got pics of the rear hatch and tubs?
I didnt feel like making an album, so sorry you have to scroll through the thread.

They also uploaded in reverse order

Old 08-30-2016, 08:02 AM
TECH Addict

A tad rough but it doesn't look too bad. Lord knows I would butcher those interior pieces myself. I think tubs are badass personally.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:01 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As i surf around this forum I keep having the debate as too how far do i go with a daily driver.

Good to see I am not the only one that second guesses their self. I think a spool is drivable. I drove my big 4x4 with a locker daily and after you get used to it, you dont even notice. But saying that...I do not think i want a spool in my car right now either. Tough spot with the finances it sounds like.

Good Luck
Old 08-31-2016, 06:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

Good job ruining your car like that. You should fly over here and tub mine

And nothing wrong at all with a full spool on the street if your axles are up to the task, other than more tire wear.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have ran a spool on the street before in everyday conditions, it is not bad at all. Some folks really over exaggerate it. THE ONLY time you will actually notice it is at very low speeds while you are turning. And I mean like less than 5 mph or so. Up to speed going around turns you will never know the difference.

Mwc 9", 325/50 Hoosier radials, 6 speed. Cut high 1.5 60's. My car is a bolt on car only.
Old 09-02-2016, 04:24 AM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

With a stick, use a stiff-wall slick. Much easier on parts (Drag radials are brutal on parts), easier to predict, works on mediocre tracks, you name it. They're absolutely the way to fly.

Changing tires at the track doesn't really kill streetability. And you'll see your ET drop which is always a good thing.

As for the spool, I've got one in my 3rd gen T56/LS car. It's not bad at all, much to my surprise. And after busting 2 posi units, its spool all the way from here.

Quick Reply: Anyone else ever feel like they ruined their car?