Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Replacement LED for Interior Door Panel

Old 09-19-2008, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Replacement LED for Interior Door Panel

Does anyone know where to get a replacement LED for the interior light by the door handle. The stock bulb lights up red, but I would like to change it to a blue led. This is for a 94 Trans Am.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:03 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stock bulb is actually a small standard filament type bulb. It lights up red because there is red plastic inside the bulb mount filtering the light. To change this you'd have to remove the red plastic by maybe drilling it out. I've seen several small colored (red, blue, green, etc.) LED 3 bulb kits at places like Pep Boys and Advance Auto for cheap. You could use one of these kits to replace the standard bulb in the door handle. The kits have the correct resisiter built into them and must be used for the LED to operate properly. I was going to use a red one to replace mine but haven't done it yet.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

#74 is the size bulb
Old 09-20-2008, 11:41 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys!
Old 09-20-2008, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I also changed out the door control light. I removed the stock filament bulbs. Spliced in LEDs. And then drilled a hole from the top of the bulb mount (at the same angle that the hole from the light shines through, and then inserted the LEDs and hot glued them in place. Looks 1000 times better.

Old 09-20-2008, 12:16 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen that done before and I have to agree that looks very good compared to the dull stock lighting. Nicely done!!
Old 09-21-2008, 08:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
The stock bulb is actually a small standard filament type bulb. It lights up red because there is red plastic inside the bulb mount filtering the light. To change this you'd have to remove the red plastic by maybe drilling it out. I've seen several small colored (red, blue, green, etc.) LED 3 bulb kits at places like Pep Boys and Advance Auto for cheap. You could use one of these kits to replace the standard bulb in the door handle. The kits have the correct resisiter built into them and must be used for the LED to operate properly. I was going to use a red one to replace mine but haven't done it yet.
Do these kits from pep boys plug right in, or do you need to splice wires?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacement LED for Interior Door Panel