Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

MAF code on the Yukon

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAF code on the Yukon

Ever since I installed a CAI on our Yukon I get an intermittent Check Engine light. Scanning the code, I get a P0101 code for Mass Air Flow (MAF) Circuit Range/Performance Problem

I'm just wondering if the larger volume of air from the CAI is screwing with the MAF. Is the system THAT sensitive to changes? Truck doesn't run any different - the light just comes on and off. Sometimes it will stay on for days, other times it will come on, then go off, etc.

I've tried to find specific things that may make the light come on, and the only thing I've seen consistent to make the light come on is when giving it just enough throttle to put the engine under load, but not quite enough to make the trans downshift.

Example: We drove to Phoenix for vacation a couple weeks ago. Stopped at a rest area near Flagstaff, truck was doing just fine w/ no light on. Started it up and got on the highway, and as the truck was accelerating (I kept just enough throttle on to accelerate fairly rapidly without going WOT) the light came on. It stayed on for 2 days after that, then went away.

Only theory I can come up with is the combination of living/driving at high altitude and the CAI kit I put on the truck.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:58 AM
On The Tree

you sure you don't have the MAF on backwards?
Old 09-12-2008, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Heh, good idea. I'll go take a look later today, although I'm pretty sure I re-installed it correctly.

I almost hope I did install it backwards - easy fix!
Old 09-20-2008, 08:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I checked, and the MAF is oriented properly.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:20 AM
FormerVendor

Stick the GM CAI back on and see if the problem goes away, if it does then the diagnostic can be edited to fix the issue.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:26 PM
On The Tree

Is it a K&N? One of our techs has mentioned problems with those being over-oiled, the oil gets sucked onto the MAF wires and throws codes.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I bought an AiRaid kit. Yes, I've cleaned the wires on the MAF too.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Somebody just PM'd me today asking if I ever got the problem fixed....

Since it's been a while, has anyone else seen this problem before and figured out what the fix is?

I wish I could say I fixed it. I took the Yukon to a dealer about a year ago; low and behold the dang light went out on the way to the dealer. I figured since the light was on for an extended period of time the PCM would store it as a hard fault. Nope, didn't show up anything at the dealer. I was a little pissed. Not their fault, but still cost me $80 for the "diagnosis" since "nothing" to fix isn't covered under the warranty.

I still have yet to truly find anything specific that would trigger the light to come on/off. Extreme cold or hot weather doesn't matter, driving it hard or easy doesn't do anything either. I've actually been contemplating taking it back to the dealer again - hopefully the light will stay on long enough for them to get the code.

I even took the cold air kit off to rule that out but that didn't change anything either.

I really need to get this fixed before we trade this thing in, as the dealer or whomever will have a heyday with that code if they see it, i.e., "you know, this could cost a thousand dollars to fix so we can't offer you any more than $XXXX.xx dollars for your vehicle."

Quick Reply: MAF code on the Yukon