New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cost to rebuild my ls1

Old 11-01-2008, 01:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking cost to rebuild my ls1

hi i just bought an 02 camaro with 80k miles for 9,000 from a dealership z28 of course i was just wondering if anyone knew how much it would cost to rebuild the engine and tranny and stroke it to a 383 just a rough estimate it dosent need it she runs perfect but while i got the money i might as well................. and also has anyone replaced the whole window motor and regulator for a passanger side window? if so could u help me out on mine telling me how you did it? thats the only thing wrong with gthe car thanks for all your support
Old 11-01-2008, 01:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by desalator089
hi i just bought an 02 camaro with 80k miles for 9,000 from a dealership z28 of course i was just wondering if anyone knew how much it would cost to rebuild the engine and tranny and stroke it to a 383 just a rough estimate it dosent need it she runs perfect but while i got the money i might as well................. and also has anyone replaced the whole window motor and regulator for a passanger side window? if so could u help me out on mine telling me how you did it? thats the only thing wrong with gthe car thanks for all your support
Hmm the rebuild im not shure about

but after you take off your door panel and lower your plastic (dont take it all the way off!!!) you have to take out the window from the motor and track.

then get someone to hold it up why you unbolt un plug the power connectors

slide the old motor out trough the sheet metal in the side panel (a bitch to do)

put in a new one and bolt it back in and re hook everything lower the window down slowly and get it back onto the tracks then test it out.

Also make shure its solid like shake the window a bit before you test it out and make shure it dosent go anywhere

I did the driver side with my dad helping me but it should be the same thing.

I cant give you a full walk trough to it i did it a very long time ago.
Old 11-01-2008, 01:15 AM
On The Tree

Also if you think your going to **** it up some shops will do it for you you just gotta pick up a motor from auto zone they will do the labor for like 60$ or so
Old 11-01-2008, 02:45 AM
Staging Lane

thanks for the info the only problem is yea i need to replace the whole regulator too and the motor came with it so it should be the same im guessing just a few extra rivets to drill out and replace
Old 11-01-2008, 05:25 AM
Launching!

A complete Lunati 383 stroker kit is about 4000. I was looking at the same thing and then noticed a brand new LS2 403 forged shortblock from Xtremehorsepower was in the same price range I just went with that.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:45 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well you have a few options on the rebuild. If your doing the work yourself and having the block machined locally you can save money. You can get a rotating assembly from 1900-4000 so there is a broad range of choices.
I'll pm you with some pricing on the kits that I sell and you should look around at the others as well.

If you aren't doing the assembly yourself chances are you can find a short-block from a vendor like myself or one of the others for a very competitive price to what you can have done locally. BUT experience is the key, how many ls1/2 engines has that local shop built. It's not the same as a sbc.

You have a good short block so you could sell it to offset some of the costs. The difference between a LQ9 408 and a 383 might not be as big as you think and selling your short-block it brings it very close to the same. But your talking an iron block as well, only 75 lbs more but to some thats to much.

Thats another option to be looked at if the money is close why not go with the bigger cubes. Some kick themselves when they get done and don't have 500rwhp450tq or have to rev it to the moon to get to the power band so thats just something to think about. A 383 is no slouch with the right heads don't get me wrong. But a 408 will offer more LOL

So whats your budget, thats really the determining factor in what you can and want to do. Some guys are very happy with a 383, others want a 408 and yet other want to go even bigger but thats pushing the money beyond being close.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:14 AM
Staging Lane

yea a local shop probaly in denver is the best place to find one cause im in the army and live on base so i dont got a garage are anything like and im still trying to learn all the kinks of an ls1 and stuff so as much as i want to do it myself im in a bind with that that my budget is around 4-7k and the other thing is i need it to be a daily driver cause i drive alot id go with a 408 if its within budget but damn thats alot of torque gives me an excuse to get a new rear end to then dont it............
Old 11-01-2008, 10:18 AM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up also......

see i dont know if i should rebuild the rear end instead i got an a4 so maybe 4.10 gears i hear go good with it im keeping it auto im gonna buy a firebird in the near future hopefully with an lt1 im gonna get that a m6 so ill have the best of both worlds but whats your opinion on that? should i just rebuild the suspension and the whole rear end and put off on a rebuild for the engine? are just get that over with from the start?
Old 11-01-2008, 11:10 AM
Banned

Well my 408 short-block is only $4474 and you can use all your current ls1 parts on it.
That leaves you $2526 if you were looking at $7000. I can save you $200 on the short block by using Eagle instead of Callie's as well.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Well my 408 short-block is only $4474 and you can use all your current ls1 parts on it.
That leaves you $2526 if you were looking at $7000. I can save you $200 on the short block by using Eagle instead of Callie's as well.
and when u mean current ls1 parts u mean as in heads also? camshaft?
Old 11-02-2008, 01:02 AM
Banned

Yes

heads cam, intake, covers, its a direct swap over
Old 11-02-2008, 01:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Yes

heads cam, intake, covers, its a direct swap over
oh wow thats good to know...
Old 11-02-2008, 01:39 AM
Staging Lane

what would the peformance gains be from all that? and would upgrades be the same n everything im gonna do cams n heads n stuff at a later time and would it be daily street driveable you think? sry im a newb to the ls1 stuff :p
Old 11-02-2008, 02:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't run the stock heads on a 408, atleast pick up some decent used ones. Keep in mind you need the supporting mods too. Trust me it adds up allot quicker than ever anticipated. N/A is nothing compared to FI either. You will need an exhaust system to really make it shine, its a must really. Any way you look at it, that will cost atleast 1000 bucks. Than a CIA or a lid at the least. Than you need fuel upgrades to feed the pig. Injectors, pump and really should do a return style to but could get away with the crappy returnless style since it won't be FI or a crazy N/A setup. Than there is always other smaller things too. Like plugs, wires, misc, etc. It adds up and keep this in mind. A 408 will murder your stock A4 trans in no time and to really wake things up you will need a nice torque converter too. So remember that a nicely built trans and verter will be close to the price of an engine. Than eventually your rear will go, especially if you are racing and hooking up allot. Unless you run pizza cutters and spin all the time you should be ok. Just like I was always told, do the KISS method. KEEP IT STOCK STUPID! I know, its no fun though. I never learn after dumping a bunch of money into a ride to shine it all up inside and out eventually getting bored of it. Selling it and losing allot of money and getting the next money pit ot start all over again, hahaha Its a vicious circle ain't it
Old 11-02-2008, 02:41 AM
Staging Lane

haha agreed this is my first car im modding so im starting my cycle but hey some people lose money in other ways at least ill get to see the finished product but yea i wanna try to keep the ls1 and rebuild it from the ground up and the tranny then the rear then whatever else breaks im thinking i might just rebuild the whole rear end for now and the suspension cause the engine is good the tranny is alright does tremec make automatic tranny's does anyone know and how much one might run me?
Old 11-02-2008, 03:54 AM
Launching!

Thats the ticket my friend....Never set a rocksolid budget or your build will never get done. You will always run into things you dont anticipate. Few things here and there add up in the end. Do what I did...put all of your receipts in different locations around the house, you will never want to find them all in one place and start adding them together. You could have a heart attack before you get to drive your car again.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by desalator089
what would the peformance gains be from all that? and would upgrades be the same n everything im gonna do cams n heads n stuff at a later time and would it be daily street driveable you think? sry im a newb to the ls1 stuff :p

You gain Hp and tq by the increase in displacement. Exellent low and mid range numbers. You wont hit a massive peak number but power under the curve will be plentiful. More cubes wants more air and your stock heads will keep up just fine until you get into the upper rpms where it will want more air than the heads are moving.

Most people can't afford to drop 8k on a long block all at once. SO you build you dream engine in stages. Like a house you start with the foundation or in this case a short block. Then you add to it as budget permits.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

dont "rebuild" your rear end, putting money into a ten bolt is a waste of money, nothing you can do will make it impervious to blowing up. scrap it and get a 12 bolt, or 9 inch.

edit: also if your looking for power, dont do a rebuild, just get a heads/cam package, that can be good for 100+ hp, easy. bolt ons are your friend. I know several people with bolt ons making 350+ at the wheels. and a cam to that mix, and your over 400 with the right combination. couple people making 450 or so with the right heads/cam package.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cost to rebuild my ls1