Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 to LS3 accessories?

Old 11-09-2008, 05:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 to LS3 accessories?

Sorry for the repost, but I am putting this one on the Gen IV list also...
I am in the middle of an LS3 install in a 1972 Chevelle. I have a donor engine from a 1999 WS6 (used for mock up, fab, T56 and accessories, etc) and have a new LS3 376/480 in the car. When I went to bolt up the F-body accessory drive (which I assumed would work) the belts do not line up with the crank pully or the water pump pulley (the LS3 stuff is about 1/4" closer to the engine). So now I either have to get an LS3 accessory drive or bolt on the LS1 water pump and pulley to get my F-body parts to work.
Question - since my assumptions are not quite batting 1000 lately, is there any reason the F-body LS1 water pump will not work with the new LS3? Am I better off getting a new accessory drive? All the accessories seemed to work off the donor car - so I don't necessarily want to replace them yet - but I really wanted to keep the brand new LS3 water pump. Any suggestions?

TJR
Old 11-09-2008, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sell the LS3 water pump, and buy an LS1 water pump. You might have to use the LS1 crank pulley too...don't remember for sure though.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:31 PM
Staging Lane

I just found an old post that mentioned all that needs to be done is to pull the pulley out about 3/8" to have it line up. This, combined with an LS1 crank pulley should do the trick. Anyone know how to pull the pulley out without screwing something up?
TJR
Old 11-09-2008, 10:53 PM
Staging Lane

Gotta add - I have a complete F-body accessory drive, minus the water pump. If the pulley will pull out about 3/8", and I put my F-body crank pulley on, everything will line up. I just want to hear from someone that has pulled their water pump pulley out a bit to line it up with other accessories with some tips on how to do it, and if it is even possible (previous posts have said so without any directions).
TJR
Old 11-13-2008, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

Fast is right. If you already have the complete F body accessories, it will probably be cheaper to sell the Ls3 waterpump, rather than change everything over to Ls3. I am at the same point. I have an L92, with the L92 accessories but I'm going to change them out for LS3/L76 waterpump, alt and crank pulley. On a side note, if you decide to sell the LS3 waterpump, I'm interested.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:08 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry, I must not have been clear.
I have an LS3 and I am putting an F-body LS1 accessory drive on it. I have the entire accessory drive already, ready to go (most of it is still attached to the donor/mock up engine). I have everything figured out except the water pump pulley. I would rather not go through the pain of selling the LS3 water pump and getting an LS1 style water pump becuase I don't want this project to drag out that long, and I like the idea of being able to switch out theromstats once and awhile without it costing me a small fortune (I am in the military. Every 2 or 3 years I find myself in a new climate). I know the LS1 water pump will solve my problem, I would just prefer to use the LS2/LS3 water pump that is already on the engine, and pull out the pulley about 1/2" to line up with the LS1 accessories.
TJR
Old 11-14-2008, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

are the LS3 thermostats really expensive or something?
Old 11-15-2008, 12:25 AM
Launching!

I bought an f body water pump, and had a truck lq4 water pump, with truck accessory set. I wanted to use the front facing outlet instead of the top outlet that the truck water pumps uses. I pulled the pulley off the truck water pump and had it pressed onto the f body water pump. Prehaps you can do the same, swap the f body pulley onto your LS3 water pump.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:31 AM
Staging Lane

The LS1 thermostats are about $50-$60 because they are integrated into the part that feeds the radiator (you have to replace them both every time). The LS2/LS3 thermostats are about $10 from what I hear.
TJR
Old 11-15-2008, 03:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last edition of GMHightech has a LS3 swap in process right now. Lots of info for ya there.

Good luck
Old 11-16-2008, 02:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rinkys
Gotta add - I have a complete F-body accessory drive, minus the water pump. If the pulley will pull out about 3/8", and I put my F-body crank pulley on, everything will line up. I just want to hear from someone that has pulled their water pump pulley out a bit to line it up with other accessories with some tips on how to do it, and if it is even possible (previous posts have said so without any directions).
TJR
A member on here name of Oscar Will (among others) has done what you are talking about and has described it in several of his posts. I would think it would be easy to do a search or better yet, just PM or e-mail him. I have seen him answer other posts to help others with problems. By the way, you can also use spacers, available from Wegner Motorsports. They will make them whatever thickness you want. I used 1/2" when I was putting late pump on my LS2, which came with crank pulley with same back spacing as the F-body. I was also building an accessory drive, but, regardless of that the belt then works on the two properly and you also gain quite a bit more room in front for your fan. Here is a pic that shows the spacer on passenger side and where the belt will run on the waterpump.
Attached Thumbnails LS1 to LS3 accessories?-cp61.jpg  
Old 11-18-2008, 03:29 PM
Staging Lane

Yea, I looked at all my options and just bought an LS1 style pump. Screw it. I should have the entire thing finished this weekend.
TJR
Old 11-18-2008, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

You wanna sell me that Ls3 WP?
Old 11-12-2011, 09:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you can buy a different neck that uses the old SBC thermostates.

I know my electic water pump uses a SBC piece and has a aftermarket neck
Old 11-13-2011, 08:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In 5 days, this post will celebrate it's 3rd anniversary...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS1 to LS3 accessories?