Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

lost my tool box key

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lost my tool box key

well my mac utility cart/tool box came today and somehow i lost the key to it. i had all the parts to it layed out in the car port and i carried it in 2 loads into the house. i've retraced all my steps and turned the house upside down but i got nuthin. does anybody know how i could go about getting a new key for it? there aren't any numbers on the outside of the box so i don't know what i could tell mac if i called them. thanks for any help!
Old 12-10-2008, 08:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont think you can?? I lost the keys to my snap on box and had to drill out the lock to open it, then replace it. I hate it when that crap happens. I personally have taken my g/f's truck to work a few times only to remember my box keys are on my keychain.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

First thing I do when I get a new tool chest is bend the lock
tang out of the way, pull the drop-dongle hinge pins and chuck
all that crap in the trash can including the keys. Just so I don't
end up losing them and being stuck like this. Of course this is
all home garage stuff, you'd probably lose tools in an open bay
doing that. But I've got 7 4-8 drawer chests and they are all
stripped of the locks.

No, I won't tell you where I live.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:58 PM
TECH Resident

I locked the keys in my Snap on Box on a cross country move.... I had new keys ordered using the lock number... I got impatient and used a long screwdriver some 312 TIG rod and eventually got it open.... Call Mac or a local dealer the keys arent all that complex.... theres not to many versions of them
Old 12-10-2008, 11:00 PM
Staging Lane

there isn't any serial number on the back of the box or underneath it is there. if there is just call them and tell them that serial number. also is this a new one? when i just bought my matco box this summer it hade a card to keep somewhere with the key code numbers to get a replacement, so if it is new look at all that stuff you might find the code. hope it helps. but i would just call mac or talk to your mac guy.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:51 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I did the same thing with my Hammerhead box. Luckily I was the original owner, and bought it straight from a Hammerhead dealer so one phone call got me another set of keys made and sent to the door. They told me if I wasn't the original owner I'd have been fucked.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:55 PM
12 Second Club

My Mac Tool Workstation has a 4 digit number on each lock cylinder. My Snap On KRL1022 roll cab has a 3 digit number. If you have that number, you can write it down and contact your Mac Dealer. Pick up a few spares while your at it!
Old 12-11-2008, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

well it's all good now. it turns out somebody picked it up and brought it inside and i didn't know about it. i'm definately going to write that number down just in case. thanks a lot.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

picking it isnt all too hard if you know what youre doing.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:46 AM
Teching In

Call the company or your tool guy and he can get you one same thing happened to me.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:53 PM
10 Second Club

our local mac dealer can cut keys on the truck... i would check with your local dealer....
Old 01-22-2009, 02:08 AM
Staging Lane

My Matco box opens my buddies box at work also. doesnt help if u like to start ****. I threw a tennis ball across the shop and hit him in the head, next thing i know i come into work and all my tools are in the bottom 2 drawers of my box. Then i Ziptied his to a lift. then put anti sieze on the drawer lips of my box for the next time he phuqed with it. Alwayss look for it on ur own box but not the one ur messing with. and it goes on and on. So i ordered a different number lock for mine so i can still open his but he cant open mine
Old 05-21-2009, 09:53 PM

I know it has been many months since you posted this problem, but the infomation I learned today could be useful to you or others in the future, although others my know this already.

I was given a toolbox by a friend. He never kept it locked and so he never used the keys. When he gave it to me, he had no clue where they were and never found them. So I go by Autozone and talk with them and they call Duralast, my toolbox maker, and they gave a website for a group who makes keys. They do cost a few dollars but it is very easy.

http://shopdawsbetterbuilt.com/

Just go to keys and find the code on the front of the lock itself. Mine was BB10 so I did BB series and... well yall can figure it out. They're $10 and a lot easier than picking the lock and replacing it.

As for as I know these could be any company's toolbox codes or just Duralast. Just thought I'd spread the wealth of information. I ain't spreading my personal wealth.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:08 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are normally a few number on the lock cylinder on the out side where you stick your key in. My MAC tool box is a a letter and four numbers. Tell the MAC man and he will send you new keys. For example B9802 is stamped in the lock cylinder itself. I have done this in the past take a few day to get them tho.
Old 11-16-2019, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by ForcedInduction
I dont think you can?? I lost the keys to my snap on box and had to drill out the lock to open it, then replace it. I hate it when that crap happens. I personally have taken my g/f's truck to work a few times only to remember my box keys are on my keychain.
​​​​​​The Mac tool box I have has three horizontal lock rails running from top to the very bottom. This is a security flaw. An 1\8" flat bar can be slid under the bottom drawer and push on the angle lock rail. You will feel the light spring pressure as the rail is pushed toward the back of the box. The narrow drawer s have one rail and the wider drawers have two rails. Once you have pressure on the single or double rail the drawers will open. Remove the lower drawer and you can hold the lock rail back by hand, or jam a small block in to hold all three in the unlocked position. Now the top drawer can be opened. Reach up under and you can feel the spring fork that holds the lock cylinder in, remove it. After pulling the cylinder forward you can spin the cam shaft 180 reg. To hold the lock rails in the unlocked position. Slide the cylinder back into place and insert the spring fork to secure it? Retrieve your key.

Quick Reply: lost my tool box key