Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Lets Build a MONSTER TRUCK engine....

Old 12-25-2008, 03:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets Build a MONSTER TRUCK engine....

Well, I wont go into details but I work in the monster truck industry. If I dont get a ride soon, I am going to build my own truck... Im only going to be young for so long lol.

Well, I am going about things very differently with this truck... one of the things I would like to avoid is the BBC/Roots/Mechanical fuel injection that we run. I think is ridiculous with today's technology. We are only trying to make 1500 crank HP but our redundant rules, keep up in the stone age when it comes to power adders and the engines we have running these days are basically ticking time bombs because of the 10% blower OD rule, and the fact that we can only run roots blowers.

Im setting out to turn some heads here and show what can be done with modern technology. I would like input on if this is feasible, practical/reliable, and if It could be done within a reasonable budget... more emphasis on the first two as I that it takes money to make HP, but if you're not nuking an engine every year then it works out cheaper in the long run anyways.

Here are the requirements for the engine I want to build:
-1200FWH/1200FWTQ(more TQ the better!)
-Broad power range
-Methanol(or possibly e85, I think a "pump gas" monster would be funny)
-LSX based...(if it could be done with an aluminum block I would be stoked)
-No intercooler or small Air/Air, Not opposed to spraying meth to cool charge.
-Turbo, ZERO lag or as close to Zero as I could get. Not opposed to DBB Twins or any other exotic combination.

We run Alternators, Hydraulic steering pumps, and I would run an electric water pump... Would also run a mechanical fuel pump more than likely.

The KEY here is turn key "daily driver" reliability... IM not your run of the mill redneck, so I have no issue with tuning it based on altitude/weather but for the most part I would like to have something that's going to last me all year and start every time.

Things to consider:
I WILL ONLY run Alochol (ethanol/methanol) so compressions ratios can be pretty insane.... that will definitely help with spool/Low end.
my truck will be roughly 75-8500lbs and that is MUCH lighter than most of the trucks running so I can get away with less HP.

Also, what engine management/Fuel system would be be suited for this project?

Nice thing: I have as much room to work with as I need... it's a tube frame!

IM not going for overkill here, but reliability/drivability is KEY!

So what do you guys think!?
Old 12-25-2008, 03:50 PM
8 Second Club

A2A probably wouldn't be too effective in this application, but alcohol will solve that. Big stuff 3 with possible 16 injector control with alcohol sounds good to me. 11.1 to 12.1 + CR, twin 88's, alcohol would provide a nice setup. 6-bolt heads and block, 2000 hp should be pretty easy and fairly reliable.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

427 lsx with 9.5:1 CR + a roots type blower with twin turbos feeding the blower. i am sure this will solve any turbo lag that you are worried about.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by elias_799
427 lsx with 9.5:1 CR + a roots type blower with twin turbos feeding the blower. i am sure this will solve any turbo lag that you are worried about.
454lsx +kenne bell +twin 88's = insane torque
Old 12-25-2008, 07:29 PM
Launching!

Eh Im not really looking to do a twin charged setup... tuning one is a nightmare from what I have seen so far. Remember we can go pretty high on the CR since methanol is VERY stable... I want to say it has the octane equivalent of somewhere around 120ish. Getting enough fuel is the fun part! I could more than likely hit my goals with a big KB or Whipple too, but Im shooting to be different with the turbo's.

Im slightly worried about the amount of stroke on the 454, but it looks like there is one guy on here doing very well with turbo 454 mustang.

One more thing to remember with Methanol... I will be pushing twice the volume of fuel through the engine per unit of air meaning that in theory a turbo should spool quicker on methanol Vs. an equal gas engine.

Been reading up on BS3, I really like the idea of staged injectors! Im going to call them on monday and see if they have had much luck with Methanol and if they have any methanol tuning gurus.

Last edited by Adam Connell; 12-25-2008 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:38 PM
8 Second Club

That is why I recommended the BigStuff3, they have the option of staged 16 injector control, with a belt driven fuel pump, you will be able to deliver plenty of fuel. Spool will be pretty fast with high compression, alcohol and twin 88's.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:41 PM
8 Second Club

Try to get John Meany himself on the phone when you call. They have plenty of methanol experience. Mike Moran of Moran Motorsports would be able to help tune the beast, you can even purchase the BS3 system through him, then he will give you all sorts of help.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

twin 88s and bottom end torque? 2 turbos + blower and reliability? are you guys joking? LOL why use enough turbo for 3000hp when you want roughly half that and a **** ton of torque?

Iron block is a must, aluminum walks all over the place when you put the kind of cylinder pressure on them you are talking about. I'd say, an LSX Iron block, 4.125" bore and stroke (441ci) 6 bolt heads, twin 72ish forced inductions turbos, they make some sweet BB and billet wheel units. don't F with headers, make some adapters and use c6 or truck manifolds with the snails hanging off of them, wrap em up to hold as much heat as possible. 10:1+ compression. monstrous fuel system. A2W IC setup and you're there. Ditto on the BS3, definately need something to control 16 injectors.

What kind of trans are you planning on running?
Old 12-25-2008, 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BadAction
twin 88s and bottom end torque? 2 turbos + blower and reliability? are you guys joking? LOL why use enough turbo for 3000hp when you want roughly half that and a **** ton of torque?

Iron block is a must, aluminum walks all over the place when you put the kind of cylinder pressure on them you are talking about. I'd say, an LSX Iron block, 4.125" bore and stroke (441ci) 6 bolt heads, twin 72ish forced inductions turbos, they make some sweet BB and billet wheel units. don't F with headers, make some adapters and use c6 or truck manifolds with the snails hanging off of them, wrap em up to hold as much heat as possible. 10:1+ compression. monstrous fuel system. A2W IC setup and you're there. Ditto on the BS3, definately need something to control 16 injectors.

What kind of trans are you planning on running?
he doesnt want tt, big cubes + huge single is what hes after with lots of meth

y not look into the new WORLD SBC/LS hybrid block, uses sbc internals and sbc oiling system with ls heads, or some canted valve or other 6 bolt heads such as the supposed to be released gm bolts with a 6 bolt block. with a super victor intake.
sounds like a start to me.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:38 PM
TECH Regular

ok running Stait meth as fuel is key here!!!! 13 to 1 at the min for comp. twin t70-76's will get you an easy 1200hp goal with instant spool.. lots of torque!!! and no I/C needed with meth you will be lucky if you need a radiator LOL..
I wanted to build my setup for strait meth but seeing i drive on the street was out of the ?? but i run E85 with high comp. and get a s88 t6 1.32 spooling to 13psi by 3300 in a little 346!!!!!!!
Old 12-25-2008, 08:49 PM
TECH Regular

Default combo

If its Alchol only...... Why not just a LSX with 6 bolt heads and and F2 or F3 procharger?.... Think will make crazy power.....With a Big (420"+) and BS3 i would not hesitate to run a Large single 98+mm turbo.....
Old 12-25-2008, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

With Methanol and your setup you'll need 16x160s. Skip the IC at all. Go with twin GT47-80s and make 1600 pretty easily and spin them pretty well too. A tall deck motor to get the pin down so you can get a decent spacing on the rings would help. Who the heck would wanna build a converter for a 8500lb turbo vehicle though!?!
Old 12-25-2008, 09:05 PM
Launching!

Arent twin 88's way overkill for 1200 flywheel HP?
Old 12-25-2008, 10:02 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, a single 88 should be able to hit, or come close to 1200 flywheel hp.

Chris
Old 12-25-2008, 11:31 PM
Launching!

Yes remember Im not going "fast", I just need usable power. I will more than likely call precision and see what they recommend. I have used their turbo's on my GN and have one of the new 6262 Dual BB Billet wheels on order! I run the Gn on e85 and love it.

Basically Im thinking truck/C6 manifolds or VERY heavy grade stainless log style manifolds.

Also remember Im stopping at around 1200 Flywheel HP, and I highly doubt I will upgrade much. Heck if I can find a single that will do what I want I would even go with a single, We will see what precision says.

I spent a good portion of the day online researching fuel systems and it's looking like they are starting to make 210lb injectors, and there are also some custom ones out there starting around 345ish.

Pretty much a monster truck requires a "streetable" engine without regards to fuel mileage if that makes any sense. Thats why I figured I would ask here!

Thanks for the great info so far guys!
Old 12-25-2008, 11:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With methanol I dont see the goals being that hard to meet. Run a bolt drive fuel pump, 16x160's, no intercooler, 13-1 ish compression, 400 cubic inch LSX engine with 6 bolt heads, and a single t6 88. I'm not a methanol expert but i assume this would spool super fast and make the power needed.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:54 AM
12 Second Club

This sounds like a kick *** idea... cant wait to see it happen.

Using turbos will be interesting....

Good luck!
Old 12-26-2008, 08:31 AM
8 Second Club

this could sound a bit off topic , but why not a 8100 engine ( the ones on suburbans)?
i know a local here who has it on his monster truck ( read real monster truck) with just a cam and a sheetmetal intake and has been doing fine . he does three shows a day 5 days in a row , and does that about 6 times every year and has not gone through his enfine yet. i'll try to dig up some info and post it up here.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Adam, I have CAD drawings for all the flanges, heads to manifolds, manifold to Y pipe- both the left and right of the trucks and the C6 style, multiple other DIY type stuff also. Add me to your friend list or whatever and shoot me a PM when you need them, I can send them in DWG, DXF, or inventor IPT. I've been using schedule 40 2-1/2" 304SS pipe. its 3" OD and like .20" wall thickness, seems just as durable as a cast manifold, if not more durable.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:11 PM
On The Tree

man i'm sorry but a turbo in a monster truck is not ganna be ideal. you need instant throttle response to be a able to control and drive the truck. u need somethin with a blower on it...either a big whipple or a big f-2 or f-3 procharger. i would recommend an f-3 this way u have room to grow up in hp if need to. also u won't be spinnin the blower as hard this should help with durability and help it last longer. these blowers set ups with also give you monster torque numbers at lower rpms in the ranges that u need the torque with the truck. with a turbo u will be down 2-400 ft lbs in the lower rpms ranges. sorry but that a lot of power to leave on the table. i agree with using the big stuff 3 system though. you may have to use a 16 injector set up if u want the easability of a street car. will take some time to tune up but once tune up is done its done. also using this syetm u won't have to even think about makin changes for elevation and so forth it should do it for u.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lets Build a MONSTER TRUCK engine....