Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Pump outlet & heater fitting mods?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 11:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Pump outlet & heater fitting mods?

the water pump outlet and heater hose fittings "appear" to be stainless and pressed into the aluminum water pumps. i need all three of these fittings to go in different directions than stock. has anyone modified these before? can you heat the housing up and turn the the outlet fitting?

i guess my only other option is to cut them off and weld aluminum fittings to the housing.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BryanD
the water pump outlet and heater hose fittings "appear" to be stainless and pressed into the aluminum water pumps. i need all three of these fittings to go in different directions than stock. has anyone modified these before? can you heat the housing up and turn the the outlet fitting?

i guess my only other option is to cut them off and weld aluminum fittings to the housing.
The heater hoses we just remove the insert and tap for 3/8 npt and 1/2 npt. That way we can use a 90 degree fitting on them. The upper you may need to weld something on. Once it is moved it may never lock in as tight as before.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanD

You can buy heater hoses with molded 90* turns at O'reillys Auto Parts and probably others, that you can install turned however you want for the heater outlets. You can buy the lower radiator hose outlet,(thermostat housing), from Street & Performance. They come in various configurations and angles. Sorry, I re-read your post and saw you were talking about the upper waterpump hose. You can also buy molded hoses with sharp bends to change direction on these.

Last edited by rojs234; 01-12-2009 at 12:14 PM. Reason: re-read original post
Old 01-12-2009, 01:06 PM
Staging Lane

thanks guys, those are good ideas. this application is VERY TIGHT, i don't think the molded hoses are even tight enough. i did think about removing the heater hose fittings and tapping like suggested, but is there enough room to thread in 90 degree fittings? those fittings are pretty close together.

i will be droppin' the coin for the "street & performance" swivel thermostat housing. that seems to be the only vendor for a swivel housing. i gotta get this stuff together by tommarow for welding.

i think i'm going to get a piece of 1-1/2 aluminum tube and weld it on in the direction i need for the outlet. i'm running a rear radiator, so it maybe helpful to incorporate an air bleed fitting into as well to get all the coolant in with out an air lock.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

First of, yes, you can get 2 90 degree elbows on the heater hose. I've removed the old ones and tapped them. I bought the 90s from Summit.
I bought the CSR strait inlet for the bottom hose.
You have 4 options for the top inlet.

Forward passenger side (F body)
Upward (truck)
Forward, drivers side (LS9)
About 30 degrees up and sideways, pasenger side (new escalade)

The upper fiting and hole are odd size to tap. If you go that route, you'll have to redrill it after removing the fitting.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:16 PM
Banned

You could always put straight AN or SAE fittings in it and use 90 degree metal hose fittings
Old 01-12-2009, 03:35 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

the C3 corvette guys have to take those fittings out altogether and plug them and then tap the water pump up higher. There are a lot of people who have done it in this thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...-their-c3.html

I know- its a HUGE thread, but you should be able to scroll thru the first few pages pretty quickly till you find pics of the water pump.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:48 AM
On The Tree

I'm removing the heater hoses and moving them to the bottom to hide them, just to clean it all up. For the lower hose neck, you can just cut it off at the flange and clock it correctly then reweld it, that's what I'm doing.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

With the way the Water Pump is shaped internally, do you have that much room to move them Heater Hose Fittings around..?
Old 01-14-2009, 11:04 PM
Staging Lane

here is what i ended up doing.

the outlet points back because my vehicle has a rear mounted radiator. i guess i could have went with the threaded 90 degree fittings for the heater hoses, but my buddy was already welding the outlet on, so i picked up some clampless type aluminum fittings (stripped the anodizing) and him weld them on for a clean look. this is in a tube chassis rock crawler, so all of this stuff is highly visable all the time.
Attached Thumbnails Water Pump outlet & heater fitting mods?-img_1542.jpg  
Old 01-15-2009, 05:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
the C3 corvette guys have to take those fittings out altogether and plug them and then tap the water pump up higher. There are a lot of people who have done it in this thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...-their-c3.html

I know- its a HUGE thread, but you should be able to scroll thru the first few pages pretty quickly till you find pics of the water pump.

Bottom of page 7 and top of page 8

Quick Reply: Water Pump outlet & heater fitting mods?