11 Second Club Snake eyes are a good thing

Hit 11s but disappointed...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 02:33 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Hit 11s but disappointed...

So I got my huron speed turbo kit with 76mm on the car and mad a few passes. First of all I had to drive forever in 92* heat sitting in traffic. The car had no cool down time. I hit 11.6 @ 120 with a 1.9 60'. My IAT was 142 on that pass and my ECT got to 243. Obviously my cooling system is insufficient and I need to install my griffin vertical radiator.

I have commanded 15* of timing in boost but it was pulling 6* so I made that pass on 9* timing. I believe the car should be a lot faster when I get these issues fixed.

Mods:

JY 5.3
Ls6 cam
Ls6 intake
Huron speed turbo kit
76mm turbo @ 9psi.

Last edited by bwolfZ28; 05-13-2013 at 10:36 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That hot weather was a major factor. The blessed thing is you drove it home and it was'nt on the back of a flatbed! Once you get the issues addressed you will go faster. Not to many cars gone go that fast in 92 degree weather.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:50 PM
9 Second Club

Very true. My charge pipe was very hot to the touch. Anyone have any ideas on how to get the IATs down aside from methanol? Has anyone ever heat wrapped their charge pipes?
Old 05-13-2013, 01:08 AM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

Does your track have a water hose you can use to cool the car with? I know too late now, but thats always an option when everything is that heat soaked.
Living in Reno, I assume it's going to be like this until Oct?
Why no intercooler? Meth injection?
Probably a good thing the IAT table is in use.

Ron
Old 05-13-2013, 11:27 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Does your track have a water hose you can use to cool the car with? I know too late now, but thats always an option when everything is that heat soaked.
Living in Reno, I assume it's going to be like this until Oct?
Why no intercooler? Meth injection?
Probably a good thing the IAT table is in use.

Ron
I have an intercooler on the car. It's probably a 26x12x4" intercooler. I didn't check for a hose. The track is down in Sacramento. I'm getting ready to put a snow stage 2 in the car. The car was just heat soaked running for 6 hours prior to hitting the track with no real cool down time.

My IAT sensor is about 5-6" back from the TB, do people usually spray the meth before the IAT ?
Old 05-13-2013, 04:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bwolfZ28
I have an intercooler on the car. It's probably a 26x12x4" intercooler. I didn't check for a hose. The track is down in Sacramento. I'm getting ready to put a snow stage 2 in the car. The car was just heat soaked running for 6 hours prior to hitting the track with no real cool down time.

My IAT sensor is about 5-6" back from the TB, do people usually spray the meth before the IAT ?
Spray meth before the IAT. Was your timing in boost set at 15 and the IAT was pulling 6 more? 9* is not a lot of timing at all, but 142* is a pretty high iat.

You have to let it cool down. The track wasn't working very well either and everyone was slow. That car would easily go bottom 11s if you can get that 60 down though. Lose about 3-4 tenths and you'd be 11.0~11.2 possibly has a 10 in it on a better day.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:41 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by PICNIC_GEORGE
Spray meth before the IAT. Was your timing in boost set at 15 and the IAT was pulling 6 more? 9* is not a lot of timing at all, but 142* is a pretty high iat.

You have to let it cool down. The track wasn't working very well either and everyone was slow. That car would easily go bottom 11s if you can get that 60 down though. Lose about 3-4 tenths and you'd be 11.0~11.2 possibly has a 10 in it on a better day.
yeah my plan was to get there at 4 and let it sit until 6pm...but my friend in his termi insisted on changing his blower pulley and we used my car to drive to find parts all day in sac in the hot *** heat. And after all that mess he didnt even run the car...WTF. I also found out today my thermostat was stuck....I put a 160t stat in it and flushed the entire system. I let it sit and idle for a long time and it would stay around 190 so its definitely running cooler.

My timing in full boost is 15* but my IAT and ECT spark correction tables were pulling 6 degrees due to the high IAT and ECT temperatures.

I need to tweak my suspension as well. I didnt have my front struts set on full loose which wouldve helped my launch as well. I tried launching a little harder the next time and it blew the tires off. I need to drop the psi down in them some more and that should help. I'm running 315/35 ET street radials.

Anyways, It was ok for what it was. I know the car has more in it on the same boost level but maybe next time I can get the times down.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

For next track day, ice and/or nitrous is your friend. If you need any help or pointers let me know.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:18 PM
9 Second Club

Yeah I will definitely have some ice handy. I plan to install a snow stage 2 kit before the next track day so I can imagine that will help a lot. I'm trying to figure out the best way to launch the car where the turbo spools the quickest. Slipping the clutch a little bit seems to work the best since it loads the engine and creates boost.

I know a launch controller will work the best...but i'm looking for ideas without that for now. Methanol is the first thing on my list and then a 2 step launch controller.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:21 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by PICNIC_GEORGE
For next track day, ice and/or nitrous is your friend. If you need any help or pointers let me know.
Let me borrow that 9" until I get mine...LOL
Old 05-14-2013, 11:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BODUKE
That hot weather was a major factor. The blessed thing is you drove it home and it was'nt on the back of a flatbed! Once you get the issues addressed you will go faster. Not to many cars gone go that fast in 92 degree weather.
I agree
Old 05-23-2013, 11:21 PM
9 Second Club

What does it take to get my thing changed from "on the tree" to "11 second club"? I sent the request a while ago.

Quick Reply: Hit 11s but disappointed...