11 Second Club Snake eyes are a good thing

LS1 Guru's, I need your help

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 Guru's, I need your help

OK guys, I have a rough idea of what I want to do with the new toy I plan on getting next year... I just need a little help with the fine details.

My Plan:
I am looking at buying another 00-02 Trans Am.
I am looking to make a Low 11 second or faster car... not too hard but here are the stipulations.
1) Needs to make at least low 11 Second passes consistantly.
2) Engine compartment needs to look like your averave bolt on car
3) Going for sleeper so can't be overly obnoxious
4) No Power Adders

I already know that the 4l60e trans is decent, but can't stand up to any real power, so I plan on having a local trans guy I know build it up for me. I know that there are all kinds of guys here that are gonna tell me to go manual... well as it stands right now, I really don't want to, but maybe my mind will change with a little advice from some people on the board. Of course I am going to do all the major bolt-ons (lid, LT's, Intake, throttle body, etc..) but I also am planning on pulling the motor and having some machine work done. Here is where I need the help... What machine work to have done? how should I put the motor back together? Forged bottom end? Girdle?

Any suggestions that are made will be taken into consideration. I really appreciate your help here guys, thanx

Last edited by ryle; 02-26-2008 at 09:45 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ryle
OK guys, I have a rough idea of what I want to do with the new toy I plan on getting next year... I just need a little help with the fine details.

My Plan:
I am looking at buying another 00-02 Trans Am.
I am looking to make a Low 11 second or faster car... not too hard but here are the stipulations.
1) Needs to make at least low 11 Second passes consistantly.
2) Engine compartment needs to look like your averave bolt on car
3) Going for sleeper so can't be overly obnoxious
4) No Power Adders

I already know that the 4l60e trans is decent, but can't stand up to any real power, so I plan on having a local trans guy I know build it up for me. I know that there are all kinds of guys here that are gonna tell me to go manual... well as it stands right now, I really don't want to, but maybe my mind will change with a little advice from some people on the board. Of course I am going to do all the major bolt-ons (lid, LT's, Intake, throttle body, etc..) but I also am planning on pulling the motor and having some machine work done. Here is where I need the major help... What machine work to have done? how should I put the motor back together? Forged bottom end? Girdle?
Any suggestions that are made will be taken into consideration. I really appreciate your help here guys, thanx

Aer these your questions??

I would run the thing tell it blows up, then buy a forged short/long block fom a vendor and call it a day..
Old 02-26-2008, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, but there's no fun in buying the thing all assembled.. I want to build the damn thing
Old 02-26-2008, 09:47 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Ported heads, sleeper cam, big stall, bolt-ons, gear, tire, suspension and weight reduction.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:48 PM
10 Second Club

I leave that to the pros. Too much specs and tolerances that have to be in check.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I see where you're coming from... as far as the machine work itself is concerned, I don't mind leaving it to the pros, but I've done a few rebuilds before myself, and never had a problem. Granted I have never actually built up a motor for power, but Can it really be that much different?

As long as I get the right parts, actual assembly I wouldn't think would be that bad, Correct me if I'm wrong
Old 02-26-2008, 10:11 PM
9 Second Club

get the boltons longtubes, lid etc.

go with a medium sized cam 230's or so and some mild milled heads

3600-400 stall and some good tires and there you go! lol

and y would people tell you to go manual? lol
Old 02-26-2008, 11:34 PM
Launching!

manuals are fun, but autos are more consistent. good luck with the build.