11 Second Club Snake eyes are a good thing

Joined the club today at LVD

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 09:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thumbs up Joined the club today at LVD

Anyone who knows about my car knows I've had transmission and clutch issues ever since I got it almost two years ago, but I was finally able to sort them out over this winter/early spring and have been itching to get back to the track. My previous best run was a 12.4 with a 1.78 60' at 112. Since that run last year, I put a shorter geared tranny in it, got it retuned, and bought some ET Streets on 16" wheels (previously running Nittos on 17s).

So we went to a track rental today at Lebanon Valley and I had two goals for the car:

a) an 11 second run (first and foremost)
b) a 1.6 sixty foot

I got 11 runs in, only missing one shift because the tree came down before I expected it to and I got flustered. The tires were hooking well, especially considering they were brand new (didn't even drive them to the track), and the car was shifting well. We had a constant 8-15 mph headwind the entire day that was killing everyone's trap, but the car still felt strong and I was determined as hell.

I started off the day with a weak burnout but still pulled out a 12.30 at 115 with a 1.86 60'. This was to be my slowest run of the day and was followed by quite a few 12.1-12.0 passes at 114-115 with a lot of 1.7X 60's. Then about halfway through the day, I lined up with my brother in his 02 Z28 (also a low-12 to high-11 second car) and we duked it out twice. The first run I beat him all around with a 12.03 at 115 to his 12.24 at 116. The second run he took the "win" by treeing me bad and running a 12.1 at 115, but I couldn't have cared less because my half of the slip showed the following:

60' - 1.691
1/8 - 7.711
1/8 - 90.70
1/4 - 11.994
1/4 mph - 116.01

DA - 1483 on that slip

In this one run, which I ironically lost due to a horrible tree, I achieved both of my goals and made my day. I also stole my brother's family title because his previous best was an 11.997, but he was destined to take it back 30 minutes later with an 11.98, and then an 11.96, which I could not beat today.

A very pleasant unexpected surprise was that my little brother came up to me after some of the low 1.7 60' passes and said he was pretty sure I was pulling the left front tire off the ground. Not so quick to believe, my older brother (who I was racing) and another friend watched my next two runs from the barrier and confirmed that I was without question pulling some decent height with that wheel (they couldn't see the other wheel from where they were). I'm hoping someone got a good picture or video of it so I can frame it for now. Not bad considering they were stock 16" wheels all around with snow tires on the front.

I am very happy right now.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The real news is that a GT500 vert only beat me by .07 seconds and less than 2 mph even though he made 130+ rwhp more than me on his best run of the day...oh wait, no one is suprised that a GT500 would be under achieving...lol

Good job Joe! Now we gotta get that car back up there on a cold day without any wind!

Quick Reply: Joined the club today at LVD