Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How well do exhaust Butt Joints seal? Lap joints? V-bands?

Old 02-16-2009, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How well do exhaust Butt Joints seal? Lap joints? V-bands?

Butt joints look like the easiest way to tighten two tubes together... almost too easy. This is where you butt two equal OD pipes up against each other and put a band clamp around them to seal them together. How well do they work?

One alternative is the lap joint... which I think is pretty much a slip joint (where one pipe goes inside the other pipe) and is tighened down by a big U-bolt clamp or a band clamp. Are these that much better? Do they really come apart easy?

The last alternative is the V-band, but they look heavy and are expensive... and I don't know how well they seal, either.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Butt joints come apart easiest. I have those on my ORY so it can basically drop right out. They don't leak, I used some copper rtv, which I think is not necessary, but a thin smear works well.

A slip joint is a pain in the *** to seperate once clamped down on. If you put U bolts on slip joints, don't expect to get that joint apart. Band clamps on slip joints work but it still make it a pain to seperate them.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, if for some reason you hate yourself and go with a slip joint, lube it up with some anti-seize before you put it together. Also, don't over tighten the u-clamp.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:57 PM
TECH Addict

Okay cool. It's been years since I did any exhaust work (I really hate all that rust and other crap falling in your eyes) but I do remember slip joints going on very easy but not wanting to come off.

So Butt Joint vs. V-Band

The V-band costs about 4x more than the butt joint band clamps, plus it involves more welding, etc.

I want to put two joints about 1 foot off the exhaust manifolds, and two more before the pipes jump over the rear axle. This will make it much easier to drop that long section that runs the length of my driveshaft. (See the attachment for a drawing.)

The Butt Joints looks really easy... almost too easy. Is there a catch? They look easy to quickly take on and off... but do they seal? The copper RTV is a really good idea. I am not so worried about them pulling apart... won't the exhaust hangers prevent a lot of stree on those joints?

Do the Butt Joints seal as well as the V-Bands?
Attached Thumbnails How well do exhaust Butt Joints seal? Lap joints? V-bands?-exhaust-joint-diagram.jpg  
Old 02-16-2009, 05:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
A slip joint is a pain in the *** to seperate once clamped down on. If you put U bolts on slip joints, don't expect to get that joint apart.
boy you aint lying there.....
Old 02-16-2009, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

but who uses U clamps anymore?
Old 02-16-2009, 06:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FastKat
The Butt Joints looks really easy... almost too easy. Is there a catch? They look easy to quickly take on and off... but do they seal? The copper RTV is a really good idea. I am not so worried about them pulling apart... won't the exhaust hangers prevent a lot of stree on those joints?

Do the Butt Joints seal as well as the V-Bands?
This one seals like a ****:
http://www.verociousmotorsports.com/...nt-Connections

Though it is expensive, it was perfect to connect my ARH Y to my Corsa. It clamps on both ends of the pipes.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those clamps that Weezer posted are some heavy duty ****'s. But, if you don't want to weld the joint, v-band it or ball and socket it. The other options work, but aren't as easy to take apart and will leak quicker IMO.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:48 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

v bands bar none....i can have it off and back on in 5 min...by myself.

Name:  100_0657.jpg
Views: 10763
Size:  89.1 KB
Old 02-16-2009, 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^Beautiful and Handy^^^
Old 02-16-2009, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

Are the OBX V-Band clamp kits any good?

Great looking setub BTW.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How well do exhaust Butt Joints seal? Lap joints? V-bands?