General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help! yellow gunk by radiator.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! yellow gunk by radiator.

I was driving my car and started to smell coolant. so i pulled over and popped the hood and found yellow gunk between the radiator and my battery. Now the first day the temp stayed normal but yesterday it sky rocketed way above wat it is supposed to be. almost up to 270 wouldve went higher if didnt shut the car off. When i turn it off it will cool off in a matter of minutes. and then when i start it back up it will get back there in a matter of seconds. what can cause this and wat it the yellow gunk i took some pics of it...

Old 03-18-2009, 01:38 PM
8 Second Club

Your car have a power steering cooler. Have you ever had to add to the power steering it the cooler my have a amall leak i had a leake that it would take over a month to make the resivoir low. the fluid will break down hoses and make them weep.look in your over flow or your stick and see if your coolant is oily are gunk in it. if so prolly the cooler.
Originally Posted by romansz28
I was driving my car and started to smell coolant. so i pulled over and popped the hood and found yellow gunk between the radiator and my battery. Now the first day the temp stayed normal but yesterday it sky rocketed way above wat it is supposed to be. almost up to 270 wouldve went higher if didnt shut the car off. When i turn it off it will cool off in a matter of minutes. and then when i start it back up it will get back there in a matter of seconds. what can cause this and wat it the yellow gunk i took some pics of it...

Old 03-18-2009, 01:46 PM
Staging Lane

over flow is normal. and this yellow gunk appeared in the matter of two days. cars coolant level is pretty full as well.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:18 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

over flow is normal. and this yellow gunk appeared in the matter of two days. cars coolant level is pretty full as well.
When your temp shot up was your engine actually hot to the touch? Like was the engine bay and everything hot as *****.

Take a picture of where that **** is near the battery?

Hows your tranny fluid level? I ask because I had a tranny line corrode over time and it started spraying tranny fluid all over the back of the radiator and towards my battery. Different color though. Turned out my battery was leaking and it corroded the metal line.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:25 PM
Staging Lane

the engine was hot to the touch. but the engine bay was fine no smoke and whn i tried to turn the heat on it wasnt blowing hot air. and note the car was running for at least 10 min. The first pic the thing on the left is battery so thats wat i was talking about it being in the middle bettween the radiator n battery. tranny fluid is normal.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:31 PM
Banned

the engine was hot to the touch. but the engine bay was fine no smoke and whn i tried to turn the heat on it wasnt blowing hot air. and note the car was running for at least 10 min. The first pic the thing on the left is battery so thats wat i was talking about it being in the middle bettween the radiator n battery. tranny fluid is normal.
The block will be hot no matter what. Could you put your hand on the intake and keep it there? Normally, you can laways put your hand on the intake and it'll just be warm. If you're really that hot, there's no way you can keep your hand on the intake for more than a second. The temp gauge jumping around or moving very fast sometimes is a bad coolant temp sensor. Not saying it bad.

That stuff looks like fresh acid leaking, mixed with grime. Sure its not coming from anywhere on the battery?
Old 03-18-2009, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

ya i did hold my hand on the intake for a long period of time. i would think about the battery but there is a strong smell of antifreeze that i can smell inside the car when im driving
Old 03-18-2009, 02:58 PM
Banned

ya i did hold my hand on the intake for a long period of time. i would think about the battery but there is a strong smell of antifreeze that i can smell inside the car when im driving
I can tell you this, if your temp gauge gets near red line there is no way you can touch anything in that engine compartment. When my serpentine belt broke and I looked down and saw my temp gauge almost in the red, I shut it off and rolled to a stop on the highway. I couldn;t touch my intake, my strut tower brace or anything. It was hot as all hell under there. Even my air lid was untouchable.

I think you need to check your heater core, make sure its not leaking. I believe it will leak onto your passenger side floor, front seat.

I don't what that grime stuff is though. Maybe nothing to do with the radiator coolant.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:08 PM
Staging Lane

checked for leaks everywhere nowhere else but in the spot as pictured above. i realy dont know wtf this could be.. as the temp shooting up and down im positive its a sensor but cause likke u sid it would be hot as hell, which it wasnt.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:41 PM
Staging Lane

anyone else have any guesses?
Old 03-23-2009, 03:15 AM
On The Tree

would be helpful if you could test the actual temp, if you had a scanner that said what its reading the sensor temp at vs sticking a thermometer into the coolant (does not have to be hot to see if its off)...if you engine doesnt feel like its actually getting HOT...could be sensor be off
Old 04-02-2009, 08:21 PM
Staging Lane

Just had the SAME PROBLEM happen to me today, except on a '00 Blazer with a 4.3.

Only difference is this **** is EVERYWHERE...the recovery tank is full of it...the radiator appears to be as well.

I also had the erratic cooling problems like you describe.

I wonder if this is a result of mixing DEX-COOL with green antifreeze?

Check the tank and radiator and make sure it doesn't look like diarrhea in there too, like mine does...

Old 04-02-2009, 10:13 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

See pbmax's post. How is the level of your power steering fluid? Is it low? Have you had to replace your PS fluid any time soon?

The PS cooler, which is wrapped in a jacket of antifreeze from your radiator, can leak. Coolant + PS Fluid = Alien Slime
Old 04-02-2009, 11:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whn i tried to turn the heat on it wasnt blowing hot air.
When you turn the car on, when you look in the radiator with the cap off, does the water in the radiator lower?

Yellow stuff just looks like normal condinsation to me, but don't take my word for it. Call a shop.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help! yellow gunk by radiator.