PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

truck LS tuning ?

Old 03-30-2009, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default truck LS tuning ?

my 06 silverado 5.3L is as we all know still an LS series motor, so im coming here for answers because truck forums arent as easy to obtain them from. lol (performance knowledge is more concentrated in this area) i know its there for the vehicles general wellbeing and longevity but i want nothing to do with this torque management system on my truck. Whats the point of 305hp if it almost always feels like 105?? how much effort is required to rid me of it and retune the computer. are we talking a haldheld programmer, a tuning program, or a trip to a shop with dynos and tuning computer equptment/knowledge??
Old 03-31-2009, 12:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Torque management mainly happens between shifts on automatics, this is because the 4L60E can't handle instant shifts as factory built, nor does it like high rpm shifts. So if you feel your 305hp feels like 105hp, then you have other issues. You will feel the shifts kind of lagging for a split second, that is torque management. You do not want to copmpletely elliminate it on a stock trans, you will be on barrowed time.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:47 PM
Staging Lane

Any reasonably knowledgeable tuner should be able to take the torque management out for you. I don't think most handhelds completely eliminate it. You should have the tuner max your line pressure out at 75% to WOT and reduce the desired shift time to prevent slippage that might develope from the added abuse the tranny will be seeing. I would recommend upgrading to billet servos and a good shift kit (I like the transgo HD-2). These will give you more apply and holding force than stock.

You can also see a lot of improvment by adjusting the timing tables, but if you get too aggressive you will be dedicated to running 91 octane all the time.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:42 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE]Torque management mainly happens between shifts on automatics, this is because the 4L60E can't handle instant shifts as factory built, nor does it like high rpm shifts. So if you feel your 305hp feels like 105hp, then you have other issues. You will feel the shifts kind of lagging for a split second, that is torque management. You do not want to copmpletely elliminate it on a stock trans, you will be on barrowed time./QUOTE]

yea as far as it feeling weak im just reffering to the "off the line" torque management kicks in when u go from idle to WOT to eliminate wheels spin like a un-shut-off-able traction control lol at least thats the little i know about it
Old 04-01-2009, 11:58 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can tune that out for you. It would be a drive, but we could even strap it to the roles if you would like.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your torque management is probably not the big issue. It
hits primarily during shift events and then goes away.

Trucks do have some pretty stupid things "built into the
tune" though. I would suggest you look first at burst knock
thresholds, this was too sensitive on the trucks I've been
into and would lay down spark retard just on the RPM
rate-of-change in normal (spirited) driving. Then check out
how they hold off PE and use a silly low spark advance (and
burst knock) to live with it. Going to a car-style fueling is
going to give better performance; the truck situation is an
attempt to get towing fuel economy and a car setup might
have you towing with fat fuel (say hello to 8MPG).

If you fix these two areas then you will be able to decide
whether TM really bugs you that much. Even there, you
might find it tolerable to leave it in (maybe reduced) if you
got the trans shifting more smartly (so TM duration is cut).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: truck LS tuning ?