PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

jet Dynamic Spectrum Tuners

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jet Dynamic Spectrum Tuners

After spending $500 each time to have my car dyno tuned, Ive been reading about doing the tuning myself. this site has alot of info and it seems to be something I could do myself, and maybe something to make money with in the future.....

IM looking for a pc based tuner that will work on my 99 ls1 and my 96 lt4.
I need to "cut off" emissions, ie: egr,rear o2s and AIR. and do a preformance tune.. last year I had my firehawk tuned at a local shop with HPtuners. and it was like night and day. How well does the JET Dynamic spectrum tuner stand up to hptuners?

Another question, Im sure i could search and find this answer but I will ask anyway.. you get 8 credits with hp tuners/jet, ok lets say I used 2 credits on my 99 camaro, 2 yrs down the road, I deside I want to put in a larger cam, or ls6 or etc would I need to use 2 more credits? Or can I go back and retune it anytime?

the jet tuner is much cheaper at $350 from jegs for 2 cars or 459.99 for 4 cars.
I just want to make sure it will do what I want it to.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:25 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For two credits you can tune that 99 camaro an unlimited amount of times, once you've licensed it you'll never need to license it again.

I won't go into comparing systems but I will say we offer a top of the line scanner at no extra charge with our vcm suite package, custom operating systems, free software updates for life & our supported vehicles list is constantly expanding.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For your 96 LT4, Jet or LT1Edit are your only options. Jet will do both your 96 and 99 but does not include a scanner, LT1Edit will do your 96 but does not include a scanner. HP Tuners will do your 99 and includes a scanner. The scanner is not really designed for the 96 but will function well enough to use it on it.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

by scanner, do you meen a code scaner? to display trouble codes stored in the ecm? If thats the case I dont need it, I have an autoxray odbI and odb II scaner.

HPtuners does not do 96-97 lt1/lt4?

EDIT: just looked on hptuners website, and it does not list anything for the lt1..... have they ever doen lt1? Ive been lied to, last year I took my firehawk to a local shop, and I was told they used hptuners to dyno tune it. I wonder what they realy used? thats strange....
Old 03-12-2009, 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Scanner meaning real time data logging while the engine is running monitoring various sensors and PIDs. It will also read DTC trouble codes. The HP Tuners tuning suite has never supported OBD2 LT1s. Their scanner will datalog some LT1 OBD2 paramaters.

Also, the tuner sold by Jet is the original Tunercat OBD2 Tuner with a different licensing scheme. TC sold the rights to sell and market it to Jet.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really need two (or three) applications. For the LSx, both HPTuners and EFILive will work for both scanning and writing. Both are supported by sponsors and are decent apps.
For the orphan OBDII 96-97 LT1, you have only two options: LT1Edit (which sux) or Jet (which did not used to be so expensive). Scanning software is also limited. I use AutoTap, which is crude, unsupported, but works.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

The scanning software is the most important part. You can't tune **** without knowing what is going on.

Quick Reply: jet Dynamic Spectrum Tuners