General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

a/c not blowin air through vents??

Old 04-08-2009, 01:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a/c not blowin air through vents??

i wasnt sure where to post this thread so i hope this is the correct section...

my a/c does not blow air through the dash vents...but has been blowing cold air ONLY through the defrost and under the dash. what could be my problem?

thanks in advance for the help!!!
Old 04-08-2009, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I had to guess, it's probably your heater controls. How about with heat? Same thing - through the defrost & floor?

When those controllers go bad, they default to the defrost position.

It could also be a disconnected vacuum line under the hood; behind the IM, near the MAP sensor.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check the vacuum lines under the hood from behind the intake towards the passenger side.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:42 PM
TECH Regular

there is a check valve near the pcm right around the hood strut that tends to crack and when it does it does it causes a vacuum leak. the default position for the ac system is through the floor and defroster so when you lose vacuum thats where it goes. about a $2 part at any auto parts store.
The following users liked this post:
98SSLS3 (04-20-2021)
Old 04-08-2009, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

+1 for the vacuum line on the back of the intake.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok guys i just checked...and found (behind intake) the rubber vacuum piece right under where the sensor connects open...what line goes there? i ask because i reached a lil further down and found a thin hard plastic line with a long rubber end snapped in half!!! this piece comes out of a thick wire-loomed harness on passenger side...could this be my problem???

looks like it leads down to a split connector that sends one line back toward the firewall and the other down into a harness that circles around the front of the car...

Last edited by Midnite_LS1; 04-15-2009 at 02:07 AM.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ha was just about to post this same thing. Happened on my 94 3.4L. I'll have to look for these vacuum lines.
The following users liked this post:
ls1ow (03-26-2023)
Old 04-12-2009, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Midnite_LS1
ok guys i just checked...and found (behind intake) the rubber piece right under where the sensor connects open...what line goes there? i ask because i reached a lil further down and found a thin hard plastic line with a long rubber end snapped in half!!! this piece comes out of a thick wire-loomed harness on passenger side...could this be my problem???

looks like it leads down to a split connector that sends one line back toward the firewall and the other down into a harness that circles around the front of the car...

The line you found is the one that goes to that vacuum port if you haven't figured that out already. Sounds like you found your problem
Old 04-12-2009, 03:39 PM
12 Second Club

That sounds like the problem, you can splice it with some rubber vacuum hose.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok guys...finally got my internet running again!

so i used some shrink rubber tubing to re-attach the vacuum line and connected it back to the port behind the intake...i was only able to get the rubber slightly over the notch on the intake port, hope that was far enough..BUT the a/c air still isnt blowing out the vents, but is blowing stronger out of the dash and floorboard! where else could i check for more leaks?
Old 04-27-2009, 10:12 PM
Teching In

I finally corrected my AC vent problems tonight.
The 3 way vacum connector (located next to the PCM) was split/dry rotted down the middle. Not to mention two ends broke off when I disconnected the vacum lines. Replaced the 3 way with a non OEM version, and used some small flexible vacum line lengths to connect everything.

Also traced the one vacum line that runs from the 3 way, down beside the battery and through the port in front of the battery. Had to carefully cut away some of the factory wiring harness tape to get to it, but the vacum line was broken were it passed through the port in front of the battery. Used the same rubber vacum hose to bridge the break in the line. Have no idea why it was broken there, looked like maybe battery acid got to it, but all the wiring looked good....
Old 04-28-2009, 11:46 AM
Launching!

Hey guys I am also having no cold air out of any if my vents and all the hoses seem to be leak free. The silver thingy by the battery (condenser I think) no longer has condensation on it and is hott instead of cold. Does this mean that the condenser went out. If so how much can I get one for and were?
Old 07-05-2009, 07:55 PM
Staging Lane

mine was doing the same thing, turned out to be the vacuum hose directly behind the intake
Old 07-06-2009, 11:51 AM
Staging Lane

I just fixed the same issue on my 95 V6... There was a vacuum hose coming from a 3 point check valve on the passenger side... The hose was torn to shreds. Went to autozone and bought some small vacuum hose and ran another one and reattached it to where the old one goes. Works just fine now ...

Its the host coming out of this that goes through the firewall >

Auzone Part number: 47150
Old 07-31-2017, 08:23 PM

Default AC only blowing to floor and defrost

2-way check valve by pcm was my culprit. Started there because it was the easiest place to get to for a change

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: a/c not blowin air through vents??