Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

9 inch noisy!!!!!! >:d

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 01:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 9 inch noisy!!!!!! >:d

I bought a moser 9 inch from bob over at epp in november, i had just enough time before the winter to put 500 miles on it for the break in period, it had a tiny bit of gear noise but the 9 inch came with a slight gear noise warning on paper loll so it was not bad. i flushed it and then put the car away for the winter...... i put the car back on the road a month ago and the rear is really REALLY noisy! its the noisiest at feathering/light throttle inbetween 55-75 mph cruising, my question is how much noise is expected from the 9 inches????? my 9 inch consists of the aluminum center section, 3:50 gear , trutrac diff , 31 spline axles, thanks in advance for any help on what i should do....
Old 04-10-2009, 01:12 PM
Restricted User

god dammit!!! this is the third thread i've seen on noisy Moser 9" rears. guess what i bought last night? a Moser 9"!!!!! man i hope mine comes in flaw free. i suggest getting your gears reshimmed.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Expect the noise.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

i can live with the noise if i have to BUT its not gonna blow up on me is it?????
Old 04-10-2009, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Join the club.

It will be fine.... It is not going to blow up on you. These things are undestructable.

Enjoy your rear-end. Is this your DD? If so, I would suggest thinking about getting a beater. It is down hill from here (check sig).

BTW => This is not a "flaw" in the rear end. The gear noise is a due to less than ideal installation.... It will not affect performance or longevity, but it will cause a whine at certain cruising speeds.

My advice... turn up the radio or get a daily driver. Not once have i regretted my choice on the moser 9". An excellent rear end for drag racing.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:47 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Regardless of the install, which I will say having both, that a good local shop is better then Moser or Strange, is alot of it has to due to with the meterial used in the ring and pinion, Strength is more important then noise.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is the bottom line on gears.
I have set gears that showed a great pattern and were quiet. I have set gears that showed a great pattern and were noisy. My current gears were quiet at first but after a hundred miles or so they started screaming. Had to go back in and reset them, again, and they are now very very quiet.

When I set up a 9" it takes me over two hours to do it right. I find the best pattern then move things far plus and minus to ensure the pattern is right. I photograph things and compare the images side by side. I spend more time trying diffeent combos than most would. That is why my gears are quiet.

The only near sure fire way to get quiet gears is to learn how to read the patterns, install or reset them yourself. It is not uncommon to have to do them two and three times to get them quiet. Thank god the 9" is so easy to do compared to everything else.

Noisy gears suck period end of story.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah i do have a daily driver thank god LOL i had TTPerformance in new jersey install the rear so i'll go back and see if they think i should reset the gears other than that i can deal with the noise
Old 04-10-2009, 04:00 PM
11 Second Club

2k miles on mine over the last 2 years and alot of 6k clutch dumps....barely any whine....bout as quiet as 4.11s can be, theres a point where you cant have you cake and eat it too....maybe taste it, but not eat it
Old 04-10-2009, 04:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

hopefully bob over at epp chimes in so i can get his opinion on wheather or not i should just leave it alone or get the gears reset... they were installed as they came from moser.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:45 AM
On The Tree

I know what your thinking, is this noise a sign that it's gonna blow up. I hate gear noise because in the past when I start to hear it I only have a few thousand miles till the gears come apart....this is with 7.5 inch 10 bolt rearends though, from what I've read 9 inch rearends are usally noisy with strong gears, but they are just that, strong
Old 04-11-2009, 04:43 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by underpressureWs6
hopefully bob over at epp chimes in so i can get his opinion on wheather or not i should just leave it alone or get the gears reset... they were installed as they came from moser.
I highly doubt that anything can be done now to quiet the gear noise, as a wear pattern has been worn into them since you have 500 miles on it. I'm not saying you did anything wrong, it's just that once gears have miles on them, normally there isn't much that can be done. One thing I would do is to make sure that the torque arm bracket and the torque arm itself are not rubbing the body sheetmetal anywhere. It is very common to have to shove a prybar up there to push in the sheetmetal in a few areas. If it is contacting the floor, any noise from the rear is greatly amplified. Since it wasn't as bad until it went into Winter storage, the suspension may have settled to where you now have some sheetmetal contact. Bob

Last edited by Exotic Performance Plus; 04-11-2009 at 04:52 AM.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:27 AM
Restricted User

wow great point! i hope mine isnt a noisy guy but if it is then i'll just re-shim the set. a 24 hour trip isnt the best time to hear a crappy whine.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

i'll give that a shot, thanks a lot bob!
Old 04-12-2009, 06:39 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by underpressureWs6
i'll give that a shot, thanks a lot bob!
You're welcome. Bob
Old 04-12-2009, 08:51 AM
TECH Resident

GLAD i didn't get a moser 9...pry bar? Whining? No thanks.
Took mine to the track, made 5 passes leaving hard, drove home...didn't pick up ANY noise.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:25 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Chris05ssTruck
GLAD i didn't get a moser 9...pry bar? Whining? No thanks.
Took mine to the track, made 5 passes leaving hard, drove home...didn't pick up ANY noise.
The Moser M9 clears just fine as well, no pry bars are needed with it either. The standard nine inch with the large torque arm mount can cause some interference.

My Moser M9 is still quiet, and it has been through a lot! Bob
Old 04-12-2009, 08:05 PM
TECH Resident

Not saying all do....but it's NO secret they have been putting out a lot of rears as of late that whine....not all but a good bit.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:32 PM

Alot of times gear companies will cut there gears different then the way the factory cuts there gears and therefore are more prone to be a little noisy. Richmond is notorious for this, i have had some quiet and some noisy as hell, and the all have excellent wear patterns and hold up well, just don't get fooled by a pinion nut backing off and tearing your gears up, you can usually wiggle the yoke if this does happen.

Quick Reply: 9 inch noisy!!!!!! >:d