LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Summit Fully Welded Mufflers

Old 04-30-2009, 03:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Summit Fully Welded Mufflers

Hey guys. I was just wondering if any one has installed these instead of going the more expensive route like Borla, Flowmaster, or Magnaflow. I've searched here and couldn't find anything about them. Some one on MonteCarloForum supposedly picked up a set, but hasn't reported back about what his thoughts were. So I've come over here to see if any body has had any experience with these and how they compare to the brand name mufflers.

LINK
Price: $33.95
Brand: Summit
Product Line: Summit® Fully Welded Mufflers
Part Type: Mufflers
Part Number: SUM-633221
Case Shape: Oval
Inlet Diameter (in): 2.250 in.
Inlet Quantity: Single
Inlet Location: Offset
Outlet Diameter (in): 2.250 in.
Outlet Quantity: Single
Outlet Location: Center
Internal Construction: Chambered
Muffler Material: Steel
Muffler Finish: Aluminized
Case Length (in): 13.500 in.
Overall Length (in): 17.000 in.
Thickness (in): 4.000 in.
Width (in): 10.000 in.
Outlet Style: Standard, without tip
Quantity: Sold individually.
Notes: Muffler is reversible.
Muffler, Welded, 2 1/4 in. Inlet/2 1/4 in. Outlet, Steel, Aluminized, Each

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2009, 05:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

never saw them as an option, but i might add them to my magnaflow set up lol
Old 05-01-2009, 11:58 AM
TECH Resident

This is rather disappointing. I was hoping for more opinions. I guess every one is sticking to name brands.
I wanted to try to save some cash, and achieve a louder toned exhaust. Maybe I will have to be the guinea pig on this one.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Exhaust

Classic Chambered mufflers isn't as name brand as everyone else and there is maybe a few people using it like me. You could get rid of your mufflers and save a couple lbs. and mount one where your resonator is and sound like this. People constantly ask me what I have or why I'm so loud. Even the cops talk about how nice my car sounds.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the tip!
Old 05-01-2009, 03:38 PM
Launching!

Sounds good. I'm taking off my flowmasters and going with Magnaflows. I'll post sound clips of both of them once the Magnaflows get here.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:59 PM
TECH Resident

Cool.

No help on the Summit mufflers though, huh?

I just asked Professor Overdrive at Summit Racing the following question:

"I'm debating between two Summit brand mufflers, the Fully Welded (part #: SUM-633221) or the Race Mufflers (part #: SUM-638221). I was hoping that you could clarify the differences between the two types. I'm looking more toward the sound differences than performance ones, however I hope you will be able to tell me that as well. Thank you for your help and I look forward to hearing back from you!"

I will post his response once I receive it.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:08 PM
TECH Resident

To add... Here's information on the other Summit muffler model I'm considering. For those interested.

LINK
Price: $ 28.95
Brand: Summit
Product Line: Summit® Race Mufflers
Part Type: Mufflers
Part Number: SUM-638221
Case Shape: Oval
Inlet Diameter (in): 2.250 in.
Inlet Quantity: Single
Inlet Location: Offset
Outlet Diameter (in): 2.250 in.
Outlet Quantity: Single
Outlet Location: Center
Internal Construction: Chambered
Muffler Material: Steel
Muffler Finish: Aluminized
Case Length (in): 13.000 in.
Overall Length (in): 19.000 in.
Thickness (in): 4.000 in.
Width (in): 10.000 in.
Outlet Style: Standard, without tip
Quantity: Sold individually.
Muffler, Chambered, 2.25 in. Inlet, 2.25 in. Outlet, Offset Inlet, Center Outlet, Steel, Aluminized, Each

More flow equals more horsepower.
These Summit® race mufflers will give your vehicle a deep aggressive tone. Constructed from steel with an aluminized finish they are perfect for your next street/strip project. Available in multiple sizes and configurations to suit your high performance needs.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by beznich
Sounds good. I'm taking off my flowmasters and going with Magnaflows. I'll post sound clips of both of them once the Magnaflows get here.
Here's what my Magnaflows sound like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atts_kSMd5o
Old 05-01-2009, 04:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RickAKATed10
This is rather disappointing. I was hoping for more opinions. I guess every one is sticking to name brands.
I wanted to try to save some cash, and achieve a louder toned exhaust. Maybe I will have to be the guinea pig on this one.
By the looks of your car you don't spare cost on what looks good, By the way nice ride. So why go on the cheap with your exhaust mufflers. Yea there's extra cost you get the Stainless Steel Magnaflows but they do stand behind there products and they LAST. Just my two cents.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

I put 2 summit welded mufflers on my z71, it has headers, no cats, duals with an h pipe dumped at the axle. I was very disapointed in the sound and quality of the muffler. I was hoping for a flowmaster type sound but instead it had an odd ugly sound kind of like a turbo muffler that had a baffle loose at higher rpms. And to top it off after about 3 weeks of driving the mufflers actually ripped in a few spots. The muffler shop welding 2 hangers on each muffler and where the hangers were attached, the cases just ripped apart. This was not due to poor hanger placement or bad welding. It was due to the mufflers having very thin poor quality metal housing IMO...
Old 05-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Launching!

just get straight pipes..that will sound way louder/ballsier than anything else except for cutouts
Old 05-01-2009, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

hell just get a cutout
Old 05-04-2009, 10:51 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by zaner
I put 2 summit welded mufflers on my z71, it has headers, no cats, duals with an h pipe dumped at the axle. I was very disapointed in the sound and quality of the muffler. I was hoping for a flowmaster type sound but instead it had an odd ugly sound kind of like a turbo muffler that had a baffle loose at higher rpms. And to top it off after about 3 weeks of driving the mufflers actually ripped in a few spots. The muffler shop welding 2 hangers on each muffler and where the hangers were attached, the cases just ripped apart. This was not due to poor hanger placement or bad welding. It was due to the mufflers having very thin poor quality metal housing IMO...
Thank you. I appreciate your input. I will have to keep this in mind. I definitely do not want this to happen.

I really do not want it that loud. Obviously louder than stock, but I don't want to **** off the neighbors and wake their new born baby. I'm going with just a muffler replacement. The $600 for the Magnaflow cat-back is just way too much in my opinion. I understand that it's an extremely good quality product, by I do try to save money here and there without sacrificing quality.
Thanks again for your review Zaner.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:44 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BEN2007SS
Here's what my Magnaflows sound like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atts_kSMd5o
dude your magna flows sound sick,still checkin prices around town for mine...cant ait 2 post when i get them!!!
Old 05-04-2009, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RickAKATed10
Thank you. I appreciate your input. I will have to keep this in mind. I definitely do not want this to happen.

I really do not want it that loud. Obviously louder than stock, but I don't want to **** off the neighbors and wake their new born baby. I'm going with just a muffler replacement. The $600 for the Magnaflow cat-back is just way too much in my opinion. I understand that it's an extremely good quality product, by I do try to save money here and there without sacrificing quality.
Thanks again for your review Zaner.
Just buy a cut out. I left my resonator in place so mine is not all that loud. Sounds more like a big blck almost lol. FOr cheap 25 bucks from summit, pay someone 20-40 to weld it in place, and few but for some high temp paint to prevent rust. WAY cheaper than anything. Hell one tip that i like is around $100 a peice
Old 05-04-2009, 02:10 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, the tips I want are more expensive than the mufflers I'm looking at.

The guy who usually works on our family's cars told me he wouldn't be able to weld everything up for me because he doesn't have stainless welding materials. He mentioned using exhaust clamps for the mufflers and tips though. Would this work OK or should I stick to having a shop weld everything together? Pros and cons? Thanks guys!
Old 05-04-2009, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have mine clamped no problems to report. I already have the magnaflow and think it was overpriced too. what if you replaced your resonator with one from a slp loudmouth and then pull the mufflers off completely and just run pipe outback? think it would sound like a ls1 camaro? i would do it but already paid a ton for the magnaflow. they have used loudmouths in the sale section on here
Old 05-04-2009, 02:36 PM
TECH Resident

I honestly don't want it that loud... Definitely looking for louder than stock with a nice, deep aggressive tone without breaking the bank.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

cut out is the way to go. U can make it quiet if you want. Say LONG road trip.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Summit Fully Welded Mufflers