Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH350- Fluid Out The Vent Tube?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 01:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default TH350- Fluid Out The Vent Tube?

Wrapped everything up today on the car, filled the new trans with fluid, fired it up for 2 seconds and it managed to **** about 5 quarts of trans fluid out of the vent tube on the side of the trans, into my driveway. It's was rebuilt by a friend (that I can't get ahold of at the moment, go figure) and is susposed to be brand new. I never had any issues with it in the past, it's just a TH350 with good clutches and a TCI MRVB. Any ideas?
Old 05-21-2009, 01:20 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Well the vent tube is on top. But unless you really overfilled before you started I doubt you could pump 5 quarts out the vent. I would be looking at lines, accumulator cover. or a missing presure tap, modulator bracket missing?

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-21-2009, 02:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

def ck the cooling lines, their right below the vent, also that its not coming out the filler tube-unless you actually saw it coming out the vent tube-
a cross channel leakage in the pump can cause it, according to one trouble
shooting guide, pres. the vent area-or overfilling, or over heated
a little bit can look like a lot-dam stuffs messy, isnt it-good luck
Old 05-21-2009, 02:30 PM
11 Second Club

I just got the trans in the car. I mounted my Flex a lite cooler this morning, and ran -6 pushlock hose to and from the cooler, with Aeroquip pushlock fittings. I put the Lokar dipstick in it, and put 5 quarts in the trans, and figured I'd fire it up for a second to get some fluid in the lines and to the cooler, then fill the trans the rest of the way. However I started the car while it was still in the air, for a split second, and my father who was looking under the car immediatly told me to shut it off, so I jumped out and there the fluid was all over the ground. So I have no idea what that means. The trans is def not over filled, nor is the fluid coming out the dipstick tube.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

pushlock? they are not for that kind of pressure, more like low fuel pres.-might be your problem
Old 05-21-2009, 09:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by forcd ind
pushlock? they are not for that kind of pressure, more like low fuel pres.-might be your problem
The Aeroquip Socketless hose (Pushlock) is rated to 250 psi though? A friend used it with his trans and has not had any issues.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:19 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

You need to get the car in the air , Get under it preferably while it not hot and start it and watch and determine exactly where the fluid is coming from. Wear something you dont need to wear again just in case and some saftey goggles might be a good idea if the amount you are saying is coming out.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-21-2009, 09:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by performabuilt
You need to get the car in the air , Get under it preferably while it not hot and start it and watch and determine exactly where the fluid is coming from. Wear something you dont need to wear again just in case and some saftey goggles might be a good idea if the amount you are saying is coming out.

Did that today once we discovered the leak. Got under the car, had him fire it up and watched it just pour right out of the little vent tube on the drivers side of the trans. It's by no means a slow leak, it POURS right out. The only thing I have accomplished today is soaking my floor with 90 dollars of trans fluid
Old 05-21-2009, 10:00 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Ah using the high dollar stuff, I was never big on that. But thats users choice.
You have some issue with the pump or pump gaskets.
You will have to pull the trans to figure it out

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-31-2010, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to drag up such an old post but this sounds like the exact same problem I am having with my TH400. All gears operate correctly but I have a steady flow of atf out the vent tube. I just rebuilt it and installed a tci manual valvebody with compression braking. I pulled the tranny last night and took off the pump. I am not an expert by any means in regards to automatics but everything looked correct.

I was reading in a book reasons for leaks from the vent tube and one was improperly adjusted TV cable do you think my modulator valve could be sticking even thought the tci kit blocks off the vacuum modulator?
Old 04-01-2010, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any ideas? Wanted to get in back in and bolted up this weekend.

Quick Reply: TH350- Fluid Out The Vent Tube?