General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car starts but dies shortly after... Help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 06:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car starts but dies shortly after... Help please

Got in my car this morning and started it. Idles for about 5 seconds then dies. Dies even quicker after I give it some gas. I dont beat on it at all and I take care of it really well with changing fluids. Could this be the TPS sensor? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 05-22-2009, 10:15 PM
Teching In

It could be a V.A.T.S issue. I had the same problem with my car. Look up VATS Bypass and it will tell you what to do.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Would it be the VATS issue if it starts up but dies a little after? It just sounds like the car isn't getting fuel or something. Best way to describe it as a lopey cam but then dies. I've never had any problems with the security light coming on or anything in that matter and I drove it the night before and nothing unusual happened. If it's not the VATS, could it be something like bad fuel? I did just put in some Isoheet but still didnt work. 2 codes came up when it was scanned - Mass airflow and Throttle position sensor BUT could these have come on because earlier in the day before it was scanned, my friend disconnected those two wires as well as the IAC? They were reconnected before I scanned it though...
Old 05-23-2009, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

Anyone else? I am about to go out and buy the TPS, MAF and IAC sensors as well as the resistor so hopefully one of those will work...
Old 05-23-2009, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

Well problem is fixed. It turned out to be the throttle position sensor. I put a new one in, started it up and it still died but took longer. Tried it a few more times with it lasting longer each try until finally it started up and stayed running. I'm very relieved to know it wasn't something like the fuel pump or anything expensive like that...

Quick Reply: Car starts but dies shortly after... Help please