Are parts only titles worthless?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Are parts only titles worthless?

i found a nice ride ls1 but it has a non repairable or parts only title . is there a way around it to get a salvage title for it.? i need an answer asap before i buy it.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

swap vin's or make it a track only car.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:39 PM
Teching In

Nice and non repairable don't seem like a good combo when describing a LS1 car.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:42 PM
Banned

Is it a pink title?
Old 05-23-2009, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They are not a waste, but they are a pain in the *** to get a rebuilt title for. There are two states in the union that will do it. Kentucky and Main. Real pain in the *** though. I have done it. I used KY because I have family there. You have to have an address and proof of insurance in the state of KY. Then you have to submit before and after pics and have it inspected,but still doesn't mean they will title it. Mine passed, but I would hate to see you end up with something you can't drive on the road. Or you could track only it like said above.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by vandejr
i found a nice ride ls1 but it has a non repairable or parts only title . is there a way around it to get a salvage title for it.? i need an answer asap before i buy it.
dont be a dumbass
Old 05-23-2009, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

wtf has to happen for it to be a parts only title?!?!?
Old 05-23-2009, 09:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by candyblueta
wtf has to happen for it to be a parts only title?!?!?
It has to be a pile of ****
Old 05-23-2009, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CobraKiller02
It has to be a pile of ****
Incorrect. As stated by the OP it can also be a nice pile of ****.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if u plan on driving the car on the streets the car must pass a dps visual inspection, once it passes that u will be given a legal vin number, take that VIN number to the dmv and get it registered. Hope this helps.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:46 AM
12 Second Club

I believe thats only on a repairable (salvage) title. On a non-repairable title I am not sure. Many of the flood cars from IKE were labeled as non-repairable and many of these cars had little wrong with them. Reason being is that the insurance companies did not want to fool with thousands of cars and labeling each one salvageable or not, so they just said to hell with all of them.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

its a parts car. it was stolen and insurance gave it a non repairable because it has alot of pieces missing . alot. i have a rollover i can use to rebuild. there is no body damage to it and not in a flood. so if i rebuild it and just drive it to the dps or dmv they will visually inspect it? is this for tx? also i got family in KY so i can maybe do that too.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

to make sure go to the dmv and dps and ask them. I would do what they say, and make sure u get there card or name and number for ur protection.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:17 AM
Teching In

Ike flooded out my Galveston trailer home by Jamaica beach. The insurance company didn't even come look at the damage. They cut us a nice check and sent a non-repairable orange colored title. I ignorantly placed it for sale as a salvage title, but then noticed it was a non-repairable title. After careful research, I found that a non-repairable vehicle can never be registered, at least in Texas. I only did research for Texas. I listed the trailer for sale as a non-repairable title trailer for parts only. You can transfer the name of a non-repairable title to anyone, but my research concluded that you can not register a non-repairable vehicle in Texas. The guy who bought the trailer seemed to know about titles and said he would be able to get it registered. I made him sign a contract explaining the type of title so I would not get sued later.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:27 AM
Teching In

I forgot to mention that during my research, I found that a salvage title or non-repairable title has to do with money. It was explained somewhere on the insurance forms, but I did not understand. If a vehicle is totaled, it is totaled. There was some sort of dollar amount listed to describe whether or not it would be a salvage or non-repairable title. In the end, this is all futile because the insurance agent simply checks off a box at the top for either salvage or non-repairable title. Both boxes are there, so you never actually know the reason for the title. Once this simple form is sent to the Texas DPS, it is locked in stone. We called the DPS and gave them our VIN number, and it was in the computer as non-repairable title. That was the only title we could have sent to our home so we could sell the trailer. There was nothing we could do even though we did not agree that the trailer was a non-repairable trailer. We got our insurace check, so we did not care, but I learned a good deal of information from this ordeal.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:23 PM
Staging Lane

Since it was a theft, it is branded a parts only title so the car could not be retained, and possibly have all of the parts put back on (such as someone stripping their own car, getting paid, and reassembling it). If you are going to assemble one, and have a title (salvage or not) to the rollover, you should be able to get a rebuilt title, provided you have a good bill of sale for the parts car too.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:01 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SETc6
swap vin's

That sounds legal.

Quick Reply: Are parts only titles worthless?