Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help wiring LS alternator!

Old 05-23-2009, 11:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help wiring LS alternator!

I have a 1969 Chevelle. I put an LS2 engine in it and am using the front drive accessories for a Corvette (GMPP kit #19155067). I am also using the GMPP LS2 ECM and wiring kit (DBW) #19166568. I am trying to connect the alternator up. I have removed my old voltage regulator (BLUE, WHITE, BROWN & ORANGE wires) from the car. According to the wiring diagram for the car the BROWN wire goes to the GEN light inside the car. The wiring harness for the ECM has a plug marked "GEN" for generator that goes to the alternator. There is only one ORANGE wire in this plug. I've traced it back to the wiring harness' fuse box and it shows to be a constant 12V. When I purchased the front drive accessories I also bought an adapter plug for the alternator. This plug has four GRAY wires. Can anyone tell me how to hook up the alternator? Do I need to use the single wire from the ECM harness? Or, do I need to use the 4 wire adapter and wire it in? How do I wire this new alternator into the car's existing electrical system having removed the old voltage regulator? If anyone has a detailed diagram taht would sure help! I was trying to get this thing finished up this weekend. Thanks for your help!
Old 05-23-2009, 11:51 PM
Launching!

Try to search "finally figured out alternator wiring". When I did mine I used the diagram from that thread. My alt only has a two wire connector green and brown I think, it was from a truck set up. One gets 12v constant and the other I had to solder a 470 ohm resistor in to get it to work, fried the first alt trying the bulb in the line method but that didn't work out for me. I think the 4 wire connector is the same, only uses center two wire, though I'm not sure. I think there are some threads in the FAQ's at the top of the page you might try.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hope this is an 06 or later 58X LS2.....
Old 05-24-2009, 11:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rsz288
Hope this is an 06 or later 58X LS2.....
Yes...it's for 06 LS2 with 58X reluctor. Any suggestions?
Old 05-24-2009, 04:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1969 CON
Yes...it's for 06 LS2 with 58X reluctor. Any suggestions?
Sorry cant help with the alternator. We only use the 2 wire units. They plug in and go.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1969 CON
I have a 1969 Chevelle. I put an LS2 engine in it and am using the front drive accessories for a Corvette (GMPP kit #19155067). I am also using the GMPP LS2 ECM and wiring kit (DBW) #19166568. I am trying to connect the alternator up. I have removed my old voltage regulator (BLUE, WHITE, BROWN & ORANGE wires) from the car. According to the wiring diagram for the car the BROWN wire goes to the GEN light inside the car. The wiring harness for the ECM has a plug marked "GEN" for generator that goes to the alternator. There is only one ORANGE wire in this plug. I've traced it back to the wiring harness' fuse box and it shows to be a constant 12V. When I purchased the front drive accessories I also bought an adapter plug for the alternator. This plug has four GRAY wires. Can anyone tell me how to hook up the alternator? Do I need to use the single wire from the ECM harness? Or, do I need to use the 4 wire adapter and wire it in? How do I wire this new alternator into the car's existing electrical system having removed the old voltage regulator? If anyone has a detailed diagram taht would sure help! I was trying to get this thing finished up this weekend. Thanks for your help!
If your new harness has just one wire, that's all the ECM requires to keep the alt. charging. That wire needs to go to pin "F" which is the second pin away from the engine, and this will need to be a "key-on" 12V, not fulltime battery voltage.

Sounds like your car has an idiot light. If want to keep it, you will need to wire the car harness's brown lamp wire to pin "L" which is the third one from the engine. That wire requires the resistance of the lamp to keep from frying the alternator.

Either of these two wires (independently) will charge the alt., I'm not really sure if running them both together will hurt anything or not. My guess is you'll be OK with both...

HTH,

Russ
Old 10-30-2019, 09:19 AM
Teching In

did you ever get it figured out how to keep the original gen light to work with the ls? i am currently ls swapping my 69 chevelle and am also curious on how to do the same thing
Old 10-30-2019, 10:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,348 Posts

Originally Posted by 69lsxchevelle
did you ever get it figured out how to keep the original gen light to work with the ls? i am currently ls swapping my 69 chevelle and am also curious on how to do the same thing
You are replying to a 10-year old thread whose participants are long gone. Check your dates next time.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:29 AM
Teching In

i wasn't aware if they were still here or not, was just trying to see if i could find answers for it. my apologies
Old 10-30-2019, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 96 Likes on 67 Posts

To answer your question, if you connect your alternator "L" terminal to your original dash alternator light wire, it will regulate and function as the original alternator, only better. The "L' terminal is very faintly embossed near the back of the alternator connector.
The following users liked this post:
69lsxchevelle (10-30-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 03:21 PM
Teching In

I have to look but would it be the same location if my alternator connector is labeled ABCD opposed to PLFS. Basically the B would be the one I'd use?
Old 10-30-2019, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 96 Likes on 67 Posts

L is for lamp and so yes, use the B terminal.

Last edited by aknovaman; 10-31-2019 at 05:12 AM.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
You are replying to a 10-year old thread whose participants are long gone. Check your dates next time.
You sure like to beat the ***** off people responding to old posts. Now perhaps it's content generators, or perhaps it's actually real people. Either way, why does it bother you? The mean group is on bullet ✓
67_ls1 (03-11-2020)
Old 10-30-2019, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,348 Posts

Originally Posted by rpturbo
You sure like to beat the ***** off people responding to old posts. Now perhaps it's content generators, or perhaps it's actually real people. Either way, why does it bother you? The mean group is on bullet ✓
I don't do it to beat any *****.
You'll notice I'm not rude or crude, just honest.
Mainly it's so they won't expect a reply from anyone they are replying to, as they are usually long gone.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
I love this comment. If he would of asked a question would you of said "do a search" in reality you also replied to a ten year old thread. Anyway looks like his question was answered so a ten year old thread can't be all that bad.
67_ls1 (03-11-2020)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help wiring LS alternator!