My car is running sluggish... need some advice.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My car is running sluggish... need some advice.

My car is running poorly at low speeds/low idles. It dies sometimes(maybe once-twice a day), and every time I shift, it doesnt seem strong when in neutral. Last night I also noticed some smoke. I've noticed it before, but last night it seemed excessive. Its darker smoke. (EDIT: The smoking is coming out of my exhaust.) I recently got my fuel pump, filter, and pressure regulator changed. Not sure if its related to that though. I checked my oil yesterday and it was about half a quart below the "add area". I've never ran a car that low, I talked to Lawhorn last night and he said there shouldnt be a problem since the "low oil" light didnt come on, but I figured I'd ask some more opinions to get some peace of mine.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Patrick.

Last edited by Donohue96M6Z28; 07-12-2009 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

blue or black smoke? fuel comsumption seem normal or excessive? any ses lights on?
Old 07-12-2009, 01:35 PM
Staging Lane

Its the new wheels!!!! Your car is on strike for doing that to her.....
Old 07-12-2009, 02:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Do NOT rely on the Low Oil light or any other idiot light. People call them idiot lights for a reason.

There are a number of reasons why you could be smoking. Does the smoke smell more like gas or oil? Color?

Top off your oil!! This won't make it run rough unless you've done it a while and it's caused mechanical damage. Regardless, we need to know this to figure something out.
Check your spark plugs and see what they look like (take pictures).
Have you checked for current and stored codes?
Is your PCV system working?
Do you have a catch can?
Any other oil leaks?
Have you checked your coolant level and condition?
Is there coolant in your oil?
Oil in your coolant?
Have you checked ALL your grounds?
When were the plug wires changed?
When were the plugs changed last?
When were your O2s changed? What brand?
How many miles on the car?
Ever cleaned your injectors and intake?

The oil is going somewhere: it's being consumed, leaking, or both. My GUESS is you're getting oil into your intake tract and it's fouling your plugs. If that's even true, how it's getting there is another matter that needs to be sorted. But that is just a W.A.G.!

The only observations you've made are from the driver seat and a dipstick check, and that's barely a start. Bottom line is - We can't GUESS what your problem is, you need to provide some information by doing some work. We don't even have the full run down of symptoms to work with. Only once we have all of those and some other observations, can we even begin thinking about what's causing them.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:34 PM
Banned

It's not a problem if you ran it 1/2 or even a full quart low, just fill it up and check it every few weeks. If it's black smoke it probably needs a good retune. If it's grey/whitish smoke it's going to be a ring sealing problem or maybe even a headgasket or something like that? No water in the oil? If this only started happening after you did the fuel pump, filter etc. I bet you need to get the tune looked at.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmilz28
Do NOT rely on the Low Oil light or any other idiot light. People call them idiot lights for a reason.

There are a number of reasons why you could be smoking. Does the smoke smell more like gas or oil? Color?

Top off your oil!! This won't make it run rough unless you've done it a while and it's caused mechanical damage. Regardless, we need to know this to figure something out.
Check your spark plugs and see what they look like (take pictures).
Have you checked for current and stored codes?
Is your PCV system working?
Do you have a catch can?
Any other oil leaks?
Have you checked your coolant level and condition?
Is there coolant in your oil?
Oil in your coolant?
Have you checked ALL your grounds?
When were the plug wires changed?
When were the plugs changed last?
When were your O2s changed? What brand?
How many miles on the car?
Ever cleaned your injectors and intake?

The oil is going somewhere: it's being consumed, leaking, or both. My GUESS is you're getting oil into your intake tract and it's fouling your plugs. If that's even true, how it's getting there is another matter that needs to be sorted. But that is just a W.A.G.!

The only observations you've made are from the driver seat and a dipstick check, and that's barely a start. Bottom line is - We can't GUESS what your problem is, you need to provide some information by doing some work. We don't even have the full run down of symptoms to work with. Only once we have all of those and some other observations, can we even begin thinking about what's causing them.
x2. Do some work and let us know what you find. Its kinda like getting on here and saying " my check engine light is on, What could it be". Honestly, from what I have heard in the past it seems like you need to get a car that you can put gas in and drive and never have to work on it. A hot rod is either for someone that can work on cars, or really rich and can have someone else work on it. It sounds like you cant do either. If I offend you I am sorry, just making an observation of what I see. My guess the plugs are getting fouled somehow. Look at them figure out why, if thats not it, find out what else it could be.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:11 PM
Teching In

My car does the exact same thing. I was told that I need to change my plugs and wires then I needed to get a tune.If you are sitting at a light will it sometimes start jumping rpms or bog down while in low gears? I have noticed my car does it only in the summer time or when the car is running for a long time in the winter.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would be amazed how much it will help to clean your MAF.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:18 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm not rich, nor do I claim to be a mechanic. Neither of the 2 are required to own an fbody. This is my 5th fbody, and I've had a couple cars in between but always seem to come back to them. Although a car that needs no maintence would be nice, I enjoy my car and don't mind paying to get it fixed. But at the same time, when I noticed the excessive smoke, it was late Saturday night. Unfortunately Lethal Performance(the shop that works on my car). Is not open on Saturdays or Sundays, so the purpose of this thread wasn't to necessarily "guess" my problem. It was more or less, to give me some peace of mind about running low on oil(which I am obviously worrying about), and to see how common it is for fbodys to smoke (I've seen quite a few). I have had no time to check anything on the car, since noticing the problem. I had work Noon - 8 yesterday so I pretty much threw this thread up before getting read/ heading out. Either way, a buddy and I are going to do check the plugs today, and check out the MAF as well(Thanks Pwebb). I've already called Lethal this morning, and they said they'd call me back and let me know when I can get my car in.

To the others that asked... the smoke is black. Also, no SES lights are on. Fuel consumption "seems" about the same, but I havent actually calculated my MPG for a few weeks.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DeerHunter_Z28
It's not a problem if you ran it 1/2 or even a full quart low, just fill it up and check it every few weeks. If it's black smoke it probably needs a good retune. If it's grey/whitish smoke it's going to be a ring sealing problem or maybe even a headgasket or something like that? No water in the oil? If this only started happening after you did the fuel pump, filter etc. I bet you need to get the tune looked at.
I appreciate it man, I do think its running rich.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

You may not have intended people to guess, but based on how little information you gave - you unintentionally made sure that was all anyone could do.

I asked you/suggested you check 17 different things to get to your problem. So far, you have answered one. Let us know when you get the rest and I'll bet we can help you get to resolution pretty quickly. The more things you find out, the easier this gets to narrow down.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:30 PM
Teching In

my headlight wont come on - any ideas bahahahaha

People really should learn to do some research and narrow down the topic before asking a question that has numerous different conclusions....

And you still didn't say what color smoke it is...
Old 07-13-2009, 03:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by turbologics
my headlight wont come on - any ideas bahahahaha

People really should learn to do some research and narrow down the topic before asking a question that has numerous different conclusions....

And you still didn't say what color smoke it is...
I didnt?

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28

To the others that asked... the smoke is black. Also, no SES lights are on. Fuel consumption "seems" about the same, but I havent actually calculated my MPG for a few weeks.
Also, I did do some 'research' on here before posting, but like you said theres plenty of different conclusions. I was worrying mostly about the chances of damage being caused by running low on oil. (bc its something I screwed up on )

Last edited by Donohue96M6Z28; 07-13-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jmilz28
You may not have intended people to guess, but based on how little information you gave - you unintentionally made sure that was all anyone could do.

I asked you/suggested you check 17 different things to get to your problem. So far, you have answered one. Let us know when you get the rest and I'll bet we can help you get to resolution pretty quickly. The more things you find out, the easier this gets to narrow down.
Sounds good man, I will let you know when I find out the other 17 questions(If I don't get to Lethal beforehand, they never called me back , I'll holler at them again in the AM). I have literally not had time to do anything. I'm about to head out to work again.

Thanks for the help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My car is running sluggish... need some advice.