General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Why Won't my A/C Take a Charge? Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Why Won't my A/C Take a Charge? Please Help

Ok after getting my motor put in a 2000 TA ,I Tried to Charge my A/C and It won't take Refrigerant? A/C on Max Fans going full blast(Blowing Hot air in the car).I noticed that my Compressor wasn't kicking on,I checked all the fuses..Does this have to do with no Refrigerant in it?I let can set upside down for 15 min or so and it won't take it.Yes this is plugged into the low side.Thanks
Old 07-15-2009, 10:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

it will take refrigerant without the compressor on. The system has a low pressure switch that shuts it down if the pressure is low. When the compressor cuts on that means you are getting somewhere. Are you sure you pierced the can? you have to pierce it then unscrew the pin out of the way to let the freon by.
The following users liked this post:
99Silver6.0 (08-17-2020)
Old 07-15-2009, 10:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if there is no refrigerant in the the system and the compressor is not kicking on its not going to suck the freeon . You need to evacuate the system vacuum it and then recharge it .
Old 07-15-2009, 11:21 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

/\ - Agreed.

Evac the system, and recharge. Re oil also. It should kick on after that.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:31 PM
Staging Lane

Recharging through the cans that you can get at wal-mart is a big no no. Take it somewhere have them recover - deep vac - and then charge the HIGH SIDE. like the two posts above me said.

Mike
Old 07-16-2009, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blackws6ta
Recharging through the cans that you can get at wal-mart is a big no no. Take it somewhere have them recover - deep vac - and then charge the HIGH SIDE. like the two posts above me said.

Mike
Sure they're not ideal, but they do work just fine.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Jurgen
if there is no refrigerant in the the system and the compressor is not kicking on its not going to suck the freeon . You need to evacuate the system vacuum it and then recharge it .
if the system has zero/low pressure and the can has high/higher pressure then they will equalize themselves by simple laws of physics. Ask me how i know, i have serviced vehicles with low freon. After you get the low pressure sensor to power the compressor up, the compressor will come on...How would this happen if it wasn't taking freon?
Old 07-16-2009, 06:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
if the system has zero/low pressure and the can has high/higher pressure then they will equalize themselves by simple laws of physics. Ask me how i know, i have serviced vehicles with low freon. After you get the low pressure sensor to power the compressor up, the compressor will come on...How would this happen if it wasn't taking freon?
he can get it to work but if he doest have gauges to check the pressures he doest know how much he put in the system . And trust me i know because i service vehicles everyday i just dont use cans .
Old 07-16-2009, 06:56 PM
Teching In

Mike
Listen to this man. He knows what he is talking about. Without a PPO unit and reclaim setup you cannot do A/C properly. I'll back you up Mike!

Universal CFC/HCFC refrigerant certified since March 2004!
Old 07-16-2009, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

the system will not work correctly if moist air was exposed to the inside of the system. you really need to have it evacuated, maybe even change the drier.

if i remember right it takes 1.5 lbs of refrigerant. I usually just charge by superheat.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:47 AM
Staging Lane

I see more people at my shop that overcharge or contaminate the a/c system because they want to save some cash and use the cans at an autoparts store. Funny thing about us is that we spend a lot of money to make our cars nicer the right way, but will try to take a cheap way out on maintenance areas. With a/c you are better and safer to just take it to someone who has the machine to do it right the first time. It should be charged on the high side which is impossible to do with the cans. Also the system needs to cleared out and deep vacuumed for a minimum of ten min, and then hold -30 on the vacuum gauge for a minimum of 30 min. with the pump off. After that you recharge, and with the system being in a vacuum, then freon runs right in with in a matter of a couple of seconds.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:56 AM
Teching In

Also the refrigerant work without certification and/or the release of r134a outside de minimus requirements is in violation of EPA regs if caught/found out it is a very hefty fine at a minimum!
Old 07-17-2009, 01:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you need to fill via the low side port, you may
have to jumper the low pressure switch to get the
compressor to run. A one-hose Wal-Mart kit will
only give you a low side compatible fitting. A set
of manifold gauges is relatively cheap (like $49
or so at Harbor Freight) and you can judge the
fill by when low side pressure starts to come up
off the "floor" when running max cool, mid throttle
(where low charge would let it pump it all to the
high side). All you really need is enough that you
don't continually cycle the compressor from
underpressure; more helps none (other than,
some increased time-to-next-fill if you leak).
Old 08-17-2020, 12:34 PM

Mike
High side out of all mechanics and information I've read online says DO NOT CHARGE THE HIGH SIDE ALWAYS LOW SIDE/PORT.
Old 08-17-2020, 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,349 Posts

Originally Posted by Miah Harper Scranton
High side out of all mechanics and information I've read online says DO NOT CHARGE THE HIGH SIDE ALWAYS LOW SIDE/PORT.
You are replying to a guy who hasn't been here in over 10 years...
Old 11-09-2022, 01:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see more people at my shop that overcharge or contaminate the a/c system because they want to save some cash and use the cans at an autoparts store. Funny thing about us is that we spend a lot of money to make our cars nicer the right way, but will try to take a cheap way out on maintenance areas. With a/c you are better and safer to just take it to someone who has the machine to do it right the first time. It should be charged on the high side which is impossible to do with the cans. Also the system needs to cleared out and deep vacuumed for a minimum of ten min, and then hold -30 on the vacuum gauge for a minimum of 30 min. with the pump off. After that you recharge, and with the system being in a vacuum, then freon runs right in with in a matter of a couple of seconds.
That's because when u pay to make the car nicer you actually get to see what u paid for so u can trust the price you pay. However when going to the shop for a fix everyone knows you can't trust a mechanic. They charge way too much and will cut corners every chance they get so u rarely get what u paid for. That is why people resort to try DIY. If mechanics were reasonable and trustworthy they would take it in every time. Unfortunately that is not the case.
The following users liked this post:
JLadd007 (06-27-2023)

Quick Reply: Why Won't my A/C Take a Charge? Please Help