Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

what is the biggest cam you can put in a stock 454?

Old 07-28-2009, 10:47 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what is the biggest cam you can put in a stock 454?

So i have a 79ish model 454 that my dad and i are going to put in my 94 formula and for the time being we are just wanting throw a nasty cam and intake on it and see what it will run before i go crazy and bore and stroke it. so what is the biggest cam i can put in there without having to do anything to the heads or any other internal stuff besides lifters and pushrods? thanks in advance!
Old 07-28-2009, 10:58 AM
6 & 8 Second Club

The biggest cam won't work. Stock pistons & low compression will run like crap.
Just tell a good cam company what you really have & they will set you up.
I had a .575 in a stock ish 454", but the heads were cleaned up & the springs were replaced.
Same with intake, don't expect much with some huge single plane. It won't like it.
Trust me, it's a total combination, not just throwing huge stuff at it.

Good luck.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

You should do this with the thought in mind that an engine isn't just a bunch of parts strung together. It's a system, not a discrete component. Anything you do in one area can have large effects elsewhere, and this is probably most notable in cam selection.
Just throwing a huge *** cam at it will probably make it run slower than if it was stock, and make the car really undriveable and just a PITA generally, especially if nothing has been done to the rest of the engine to utilize that cam.

With an otherwise stock engine, moderation is a virtue.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:02 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mrdragster1970

The biggest cam won't work. Stock pistons & low compression will run like crap.
Just tell a good cam company what you really have & they will set you up.
I had a .575 in a stock ish 454", but the heads were cleaned up & the springs were replaced.
Same with intake, don't expect much with some huge single plane. It won't like it.
Trust me, it's a total combination, not just throwing huge stuff at it.

Good luck.

oh ok thanks for the advice!
and on the intake would a vic jr be to much? or would that depend on the cam as well?
Old 07-28-2009, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

A Vic Jr. on a stock motor is a waste of time. Again, the whole thing is a system.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:07 AM
TECH Regular

ok then what would be your suggestions for a BBC newb? cam, lifters, intake, head work? i would like to keep it on the low end of spending for the fact that im going to be putting alot of money into the engine later. I'm mainly doing this now to get some base numbers from the car. It will be a track car and thats it nothing else. i plan on running a powerglide and 9" with the engine so any suggestions would be helpful. thanks
Old 07-28-2009, 11:07 AM
TECH Addict

One of the things to ask yourself is what RPM range are you looking for? Once that is decided, start looking for things that will work within that range. Bear in mind that with a stock bottom end, I wouldn't really push it much past the 6000 RPM mark.

Also, what's the ultimate goal? Huge horsepower? If so, do you have the cubic dollar budget to support the goal?
Old 07-28-2009, 11:11 AM
TECH Regular

for the hp goal at the moment i would say an easy 4-500 at the wheels would be sufficient. i just want to see how much i can do to the stock engine now and try to stay away from having to do a whole lot of internal stuff besides the cam and when i have a better job and less commitments i will go all out.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:17 AM
TECH Addict

OK, we have a starting point.

1. Headers
2. intake - geared to the capabilities of your cam selection. You'll have to change it later as the engine gets more radical. I'd give Comp Cams a call, and get a recommendation from them. Phone calls are cheap, cams aren't. Neither are mistakes made in learning.
3. Suspension - front and rear. The BBC is a heavier engine, you'll need more spring/shock up front. You'll also need need to remove some sheet metal to make it fit.
4. Rear end - 9" is good, but not cheap. $2500 or so just for this.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:21 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
OK, we have a starting point.

1. Headers
2. intake - geared to the capabilities of your cam selection. You'll have to change it later as the engine gets more radical. I'd give Comp Cams a call, and get a recommendation from them. Phone calls are cheap, cams aren't. Neither are mistakes made in learning.
3. Suspension - front and rear. The BBC is a heavier engine, you'll need more spring/shock up front. You'll also need need to remove some sheet metal to make it fit.
4. Rear end - 9" is good, but not cheap. $2500 or so just for this.
yea i'll give comp a call and see what they recommend then!

and i know the rears are expensive and i think thats one of the only things besides the tranny thats im going to be spending a load of money on at this present moment.

what kind of spring rate would work well with my setup for launching at the track and keeping the front from sagging?
Old 07-28-2009, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

Can't give a recommendation for the springs. See if Google turns anything up.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Regular

ok thanks for all the other help!!
Old 07-28-2009, 11:31 AM
6 & 8 Second Club

My 2 cents. A base is a waste of time & money. It's not going to teach you jack.
If you're going, just go. Put the car on the jig, stands, blocks, whatever and just start the project.
Do the rear, trans & motor fitment now & have your real engine built. If you just want to make pass'.
Take the money you were going to waste on cam, intake and race the car as is a few times
before starting the project.

Don't forget, every project takes twice as long & twice the money. It's not a w/e deal to get a BBC to just drop in & go.
Look at my 2 cars, plus 2 more you can't see. I know a little about this. Decide what you really want & do it once.
Please don't try the little bit at a time. Get the drive train to fit with what you have. Put the money into the rear,
trans & getting everything to fit. Instead of half assing this & that as you go along?? Just something to think about.
Good luck.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:36 AM
11 Second Club

BBC+4th Gen Fbody= Awesome. But are you only wanting to get 4-500whp? or is this a small goal, that will lead to another? Just wondering, because i imagine that 4-500 LT1 would little less expensive, then a BBC swap and everything to go with it? Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:41 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by strokin93z
BBC+4th Gen Fbody= Awesome. But are you only wanting to get 4-500whp? or is this a small goal, that will lead to another? Just wondering, because i imagine that 4-500 LT1 would little less expensive, then a BBC swap and everything to go with it? Just my 2 cents.
that was just a small goal for the time being but after reading what mrdragster1970 wrote, im thinking that goal is out the window and i'll be just working on the car as a whole and building the engine the way i want to in the end. i'm shooting for about 800 NA maybe a little more. stroking it out to a 496 or so and shooting for 8's. its going to be a very long and costly project but i'm not in a huge hurry to get it done, i just want something to take to the track so i dont end up taking my 2001 WS6 out there and breaking something on it.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mrdragster1970
Don't forget, every project takes twice as long & twice the money. It's not a w/e deal to get a BBC to just drop in & go.
Ain't that the truth!!! And not just with cars...
Old 07-28-2009, 11:46 AM
TECH Regular

i have to agree with the above statements. my dad and i rebuilt an 85 gmc LWB truck and ended up putting about 17 grand into it and it took almost a year and a half to build. so i have been there and experienced that and know that these things take time, money, patience, and lots of research.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:57 AM
6 & 8 Second Club

Good, glad I could help make you think. Another tip. Try to sell all the stuff you have & get a big bore block.
You will run quicker, block is stronger & you will find a million crate or used combinations already dialed in.
A 509" will make a lot more power with the exact same everything than a 496-505" based engine.
The bigger bore & shorter stroke will make the head better, & pick up some free HP.
Plus a 540" is damn near the exact same price as a 509". A mild 540" will put you in the 8's very reliably.
Instead of running a smaller engine much harder. Plus 500 inchers are every where now a days.

I wish you were closer. I've done all this before & made more mistakes than I care to admit.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:02 PM
TECH Regular

QUOTE=mrdragster1970;11979734]

Good, glad I could help make you think. Another tip. Try to sell all the stuff you have & get a big bore block.
You will run quicker, block is stronger & you will find a million crate or used combinations already dialed in.
A 509" will make a lot more power with the exact same everything than a 496-505" based engine.
The bigger bore & shorter stroke will make the head better, & pick up some free HP.
Plus a 540" is damn near the exact same price as a 509". A mild 540" will put you in the 8's very reliably.
Instead of running a smaller engine much harder. Plus 500 inchers are every where now a days.

I wish you were closer. I've done all this before & made more mistakes than I care to admit.

[/QUOTE]

oh ok is there any place or site you would suggest looking for these blocks? im always on the computer so any websites would be great.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.amazon.com/Build-High-Per...8799916&sr=1-2

i recommend this book for starters, I have it and for < $20 it's a very good read.

one other, just search camshaft on amazon books,
http://www.amazon.com/Choose-Camshaf...8800062&sr=1-1

http://www.corvettefever.com/techart...ing/index.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what is the biggest cam you can put in a stock 454?