12 Second Club In the 12s yet? Come inside!

Englishtown first run

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 11:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Englishtown first run

hello this is my first time ever launching my car at the track. Actually i never practiced launching the car i have only raced with it on the highway. Need to say i really need to learn how to launch the car because thats whats killing me really bad. I think with the mods i have on my car i should easily be in the high 12s. Basically my first run i lined up and when i saw the lights i basically just dropped the clutch and took my foot barley onto the gas. So the car fell flat on its face real hard. then shifted to second and spun all of 2nd gear but held on. beleive it or not that was my FASTEST run hahaha with a 13.7 @ 105 with 2.3 60 foot time! Then each run got worse and worse as i botched the launch again. 2nd run was a 13.9 @ 105 with 2.5 60 foot time. Then finally was a 14.3 @ 105 with a 2.8 60 foot!!! seriously the car almost stalled cause i was trying to just get on the gas as fast as i could but the rpms wernt high so it dropped to like 200-300 and my head bounced hahahahahahha...... well it was still fun just need to practice my launch for october some tips would be appreciated... thanks
Old 09-14-2006, 02:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't mean to be negative or bash you, but I think hitting the 12's with your set-up on street tires is real optomistic. You will definately need some sticky tires and even then I'm not too sure you'll hit your mark unless your driving is dead on in good air.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:57 PM
12 Second Club

My tip would be to get yourself to Atco, even if it's much further than E-town. The launch pad/60' there is usually much better prepped, and the DA on the same day is usually slightly better than E-town. Also, there are usually A LOT LESS ricers there breaking and oiling down the track/clogging the staging lanes, etc. Therefore you get more runs for your money, and you can even "hot lap" if you get there early enough on a weekday (by 6:00 PM or so).
Besides that, in what kind of condition is your clutch?? Take out your; floor mats, jack & spare, ALL unnecessary crap (CDs/books, etc.). Run with a little more than a 1/4 to a 1/2 tank of fuel. Pump your fronts up to 45-50 psi, lower your rear tires a little, maybe down to 28-29 psi, NOT lower (assuming you're on street tires).
Most of all you need to practice launches/shifting. You should be slightly above (maybe 1500-1800 revs) idle and "walk" the clutch out (somewhere inbetween slipping it and dumping it).Others can add to/refute this as they feel necessary.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:26 PM
Staging Lane

clutch is a spec stage 3 with about 2-3k miles on it maybe not even? It grabs crazy good. I know my first run i didnt even heat the tires up thats why they spun so bad through all of 2nd. After the other runs i heated em up and they just chirped 2nd and 3rd. Tires are street radials with about the same milage as the clutch they have never been burned out with besides the track and have basically 95% tread on them. I know my biggest fault was the launch being that i really didnt know what to do when launching. Im just gonna give it some practice on the launch thats my main concern. I don't think a high 12 is at all out of the question with my mods and such though.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

stock gears? If so you coukd get away with raising your rev limiter and use 1-3rd gear. Your gonna need a real tire and a rear if you want to get the most out of your car