Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rubber fuel hose for injection?

Old 08-10-2009, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rubber fuel hose for injection?

I just put together my fuel system for my chevelle and used rubber fuel line for fuel injection. most of my fittings are barbed or have a big lip on them. My question is how much pressure is this designed for and is a single worm clamp on each fitting enough to hold the pressure. I am just worried about this line bursting and causing a fire. thanks
Old 08-10-2009, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the line should have a maximum psi written on it, as for the clamps and barbs i'm not sure, i'd at least double worm clamp them, but i'd still be worried, idle psi on stock ls1 is around 50-60 psi, that's alot in my book
good luck, i'd redo it with braided line and fittings but that's me
Old 08-10-2009, 03:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Did you use fuel injection hose...as in has the teflon liner? They make a smooth bore clamp for that line, that doesn't cut into the rubber......any auto parts should have them.....

IMO, you are taking a chance using standard line and clamps......as cooks7 said, you are looking at 50 to 60 psi, as opposed to a regular system of 10-15 psi...quite a difference.....

T,
Old 08-10-2009, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a short (14") piece of rubber fuel injection hose on the pressure side of mine. It runs from the pump to the regulator. I used good quality screw type clamps. No problem after about 3 years and 9k miles.

Pat
Old 08-10-2009, 04:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Walbro installation kit for their fuel pump comes with those barb fittings, so they must work.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As long as the both the hose and clamps are rated for the PSI that is being generated by the Pump. There should be no problem. yes, you want to be safe and have the warm and fuzzy feeling about it. If you look a almost all of the OEM pump/sender setups. they are using both rubber and teflon/plastic hose and screw clamp...

But in general, we all seem to like the overkill factor. I am sure that many of us and other applicaiton have used standard rubber hose and clamp with FI rated for years.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have my crap rigged uped.. im running a aluminum fuel line most off the way to the mtor from fuel cell. i acidently used heater hose, diidnt pay attetion.. line got a pin hole size leak in it.. i plan reduing it with stainlees steel line all the way to the motor and be done with it.. my return line is complety out of rubber line. with no clamps on them,, no pressure of course.. but yes rubber hose will work,, and the clamps will hold.. im running duel 255's. 68 psi..
Old 08-10-2009, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use EFI hose and "seamless pinch clamps". These clamps are used in a lot of OEM applications and are tried and tested for safety.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:56 PM
On The Tree

The hose I am using says fuel injection on it but there is no pressure rating on it so thats what made me wonder about it. I have seen the fuel injection hose with the liner but nobody seems to know what that is around here. I have a walbro pump going to a professional products adjustable regulator and that goes to a professional products fuel filter that has 1/4 inch NPT fittings on them. these all have the brass barbed fittings on them also. thanks for all the input so far guys. I will post more info on my build after I get more pictures.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:16 PM
TECH Resident

I'm using Aeroquip socketless (pusk-lock) rubber hose. Works great if you follow the instructions.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rubber fuel hose for injection?