Sponsored by:

How many here keep the coils on valve cover

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 06:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How many here keep the coils on valve cover

Just wondering.
I like the cleaner look of not having the coils on the valve covers, and getting nicer valve covers.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

once I get to that point I plan to move them and paint the covers.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 96Z28SS
Just wondering.
I like the cleaner look of not having the coils on the valve covers, and getting nicer valve covers.
Me too, I put mine on the firewall...

Russ
Attached Thumbnails How many here keep the coils on valve cover-100_1014s.jpg  
Old 08-26-2009, 09:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The coil packs are pretty convenient on the valve covers - I left mine there. I painted the valve covers red with 2-part hi temp epoxy paint and put on new coil packs and new brackets. I like it because it's simple... however the look might not be for everyone.

The new valve covers and coil packs on the LS9 and the LSA engines look better than the previous setups. The coil packs bolt directly to the valve covers and gives a cleaner look.

-Dave
Old 08-26-2009, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FastKat
The coil packs are pretty convenient on the valve covers - I left mine there. I painted the valve covers red with 2-part hi temp epoxy paint and put on new coil packs and new brackets. I like it because it's simple... however the look might not be for everyone.

The new valve covers and coil packs on the LS9 and the LSA engines look better than the previous setups. The coil packs bolt directly to the valve covers and gives a cleaner look.

-Dave
three questions

1. will the upside down manifolds interefere with the plug wires? I heard they do, but would like to know for sure as that is the only reason why I would consider moving the coils

2. which manifolds are those?

3. does the manifold bolt upside down with no modifications?
Old 08-26-2009, 10:01 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I actually prefer the look of the coils on the valve covers (rather than relocated). I enjoy the mechanical look they convey. I've not seen any relocated coil set-ups that didn't appear cluttered to me.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

One of the reason I asked, is cause I make these and sell them on e-bay.
I think there are people that put these LS engines in older car and want the look of the valve cover.

Non-sponsor link and pic's removed

Last edited by John B; 09-24-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why introduce resistance into the ignition system. The short spark plug wires are great, coil on plug would be better but coil near plug is time proven and works great.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here is a very clean set up I saw last week-end. Coils are behind the firewall somewhere.

Pat
Old 08-27-2009, 08:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

I kept mine on the Valve Covers.. I have the stock circle Truck Coils.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stu Cool
Here is a very clean set up I saw last week-end. Coils are behind the firewall somewhere.

Pat
Wow, that's really nice...
Old 08-27-2009, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

Call me crazy, but I kinda like the coils on there. Makes the engine look more modern. Note that these are truck coils and the coil brackets were very slightly cut down so there's only (1) bolt hole each. They will be lined up with the intake runner angle when bolted down tight.

I used a 6mm piece of all-thread that is locktited into the head with a nut tightened down at the bottom to lock the stud in place. Then there is a nut on the valve cover, the coil bracket and a nut on top of it. I'll snake all the coils wires down below the valve covers above the headers. The valve covers are stock ones that have been smoothed and laminated with C/F and epoxied.

Oh, you might also notice the mechanical throttle linkage setup and lack of fuel rail mounting bosses on the intake.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:29 AM
TECH Resident

I kept mine but in my case I covered the entire engine.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

First 2 builds were left on the valve cover for a factory look. Next two are going to be hidden. I like the look of the valve cover and carb intake cause it is clean. A second thought on the brackets you show. There isn't much support fot the outer most coils. I would worry that they would vibrate and break off.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nashty
Call me crazy, but I kinda like the coils on there. Makes the engine look more modern. Note that these are truck coils and the coil brackets were very slightly cut down so there's only (1) bolt hole each. They will be lined up with the intake runner angle when bolted down tight.

I used a 6mm piece of all-thread that is locktited into the head with a nut tightened down at the bottom to lock the stud in place. Then there is a nut on the valve cover, the coil bracket and a nut on top of it. I'll snake all the coils wires down below the valve covers above the headers. The valve covers are stock ones that have been smoothed and laminated with C/F and epoxied.

Oh, you might also notice the mechanical throttle linkage setup and lack of fuel rail mounting bosses on the intake.

Thats actually kinda cool, I havent seen that before. I dig it. Although, Im not sure about the loctite in the heads tho, is there room for a jam nut and washer where the all thread goes into the head??
Old 08-27-2009, 01:20 PM
TECH Junkie

I plan on using the new Edelbrock coil covers without the edel logo and powdercoat them black and use some emblems from emblem pros. I just need to buy a new alt bracket that wont interfer like my vette bracket will.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i'm going to put mine in the stock location for now, but i'll eventually move 'em. i like the roloc kit you have.

@nashty - the first thing i noticed was your fuel injector delete mod. that's sick bro!

Last edited by hookemdevils22; 08-27-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jfg455
First 2 builds were left on the valve cover for a factory look. Next two are going to be hidden. I like the look of the valve cover and carb intake cause it is clean. A second thought on the brackets you show. There isn't much support fot the outer most coils. I would worry that they would vibrate and break off.
The way they are put together and welded, I'm confident that they won't break.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:27 PM
TECH Addict

I agree - some of the classics look better with relocated coils. It just depends on the application and your taste. If you're going for looks, it's all about personal preference.

Originally Posted by 96Z28SS
One of the reason I asked, is cause I make these and sell them on e-bay.
I think there are people that put these LS engines in older car and want the look of the valve cover.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

1. will the upside down manifolds interefere with the plug wires? I heard they do, but would like to know for sure as that is the only reason why I would consider moving the coils Yes, they interfere with the plug wires, but it's close. With a custom wire, you might be able to sneak them around the manifold.

2. which manifolds are those? Those are both truck manifolds. I have pictures of flipped CTS-V manifolds as well. They fit better and would allow for better turbo placement, but the plug wires still interfered. If you want the pics, send me an email and I will send them over to you. I might even have some pics of LS2 Corvette manifolds as well.

3. does the manifold bolt upside down with no modifications? Yes, they bolt up just fine with no mods.

Quick Reply: How many here keep the coils on valve cover