General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car won't blow heat.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't blow heat.

My heater doesn't seem to work, even after the car is completely warmed up it just blows cool air, or maybe outside temp. air. There is absolutely no heat at all no matter how long its driven. It was first bought in Texas, anything to do with that? Thanks!
Old 10-07-2009, 04:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

head gasket or possible heater core gone bad.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

head gasket ? ! ? !

having no idea what the car has been through, i would first check the hoses going to the heater core which is real easy. when engine and coolant is hot and with heater on full blast, feel both the in and out hoses from the heater core. you can also squeeze them with your hand and get a feel for the coolant flowing through them. If the out hose from heater core is soft but the in hose is firm then that points to a heater core blockage. And the in hose going to the heater core should be hot, if not then that may also mean heater core blockage but also mean problem upstream back near the thermostat outlet. If both the in and out hoses to the heater core are hot, and it feels like coolant is flowing through them then the problems are either with the hvac unit in the dash, with the temperature mixing door which I think is buried under the dash, or could be with the temperature cable from the hvac unit to the temperature door.
There are also a whole other set of diagnostic steps, but i'm assuming everything else works such as when it's on vent only you get air out of only the vents, a lot of the hvac functions rely on vacuum from the engine and vacuum hoses, but if it's strictly a no hot air issue then i think you can rule the vacuum side of everything out because temperature is controlled by a cable from the temp **** to the mixing door. Worst case and this happened on an old ford truck i had, the mixing door is all plastic and it's a creased plastic hinge, after so many operations the plastic door hinge just breaks and you get cold air all the time, which means replacing that whole mixing box.

oh, and the other thing is make sure the cooling system is completely full and that the overflow reservoir is full on its dipstick, otherwise you may have air in the system which is all collected in the heater core which will cause no hot air. check this first, then check to see if the heater core is blocked.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

check your hvac doors are opening and closing to give u the desired temp of air. not sure if there electronic or vacuum. if vacuum check to make sur line is connected and the vac diaphrams that move the doors arent ripped. if electronic make sure yuor getting pwr ground and a signal from the bcm. also check that your thermostate aint stuck.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Good advice here. I would swap heater cores anyway just for good measure.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:43 PM
TECH Regular

Is there a write up somewhere on how to do this?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car won't blow heat.