Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Could you use your fog lights instead of headlights?

Old 10-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could you use your fog lights instead of headlights?

Might have been covered before, if so direct me to the thread. I am sick of my pop up headlights on my 98 Trans Am. Its always something, stripped gear, not poping up you name it. I don't like the fixed headlight kits at all. So could you put different light in for your fog lights and use those instead of the pop ups? I am sure there is a lot to it. Thanks for your imput.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

dont know if its legal or not but i have done it a few times since i've had my car. can it be done? YES...as long as you can see good still. should it be done? thats for you to decide. get a HID kit so you have a really good source of light if you plan on doing this permanently. i still use my headlights, the only reason i didnt for those few time was because i had the housing and bulbs all disassembled while i was getting everything repainted.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

It's not legal, but you can. I know a TA owner who only drives with HID's in his foglights at night and he says the cops have never harassed him about it. When my headlights were shorting out due to an aftermarket alarm module malfunction, I had to drive around with my aftermarket H3 55w (non-HID) driving lights (mounted where the stock Formula foglights go). I drove right past several cops and they didn't do anything.

One thing to know is that HIDs will melt the stock 93-02 TA foglight housings over time since they are just plastic. A potential solution would be to get 93-97 TA foglights since they have glass lenses.

Last edited by ZexGX; 10-19-2009 at 11:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
wannafbody (07-22-2022)
Old 10-19-2009, 07:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't drive around with the stock 35w fogs, those things aren't very bright at all.

I'm working on my fog lights, I'm mounting up some KC Lites that have 100w bulbs. I've already switched out the stock bulbs for some HIDs. Once I'm 100% done I will write a how to thread.

Here's a teaser pic.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:28 PM
11 Second Club

Legally, no. Your headlights are required to be so many inches/feet off of the ground, and the fogs are too low.

But who cares really.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Not really legal to do, but.... if you can find some projector fogs that fit openings, definitely do it!. Nice sharp cutoff and don't think you'd have to worry too much unless the cop was looking to bust your *****. You may be able to find another housing other than a projector, but not sure on the cutoff. I had 2 diff aftermarket housings on my Firehawk and neither had a good cutoff compared to my Bosche H4 headlight housings.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by xXxSilveradoxXx
I wouldn't drive around with the stock 35w fogs, those things aren't very bright at all.

I'm working on my fog lights, I'm mounting up some KC Lites that have 100w bulbs. I've already switched out the stock bulbs for some HIDs. Once I'm 100% done I will write a how to thread.
cant wait to see the finished product. im definitely interested.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:53 PM
TECH Addict

Hell, if I can find a good tint shop in the Bay Area I'll show you the lights in person!
Old 10-19-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Hell, if I can find a good tint shop in the Bay Area I'll show you the lights in person!
come check out the shop that did mine. if you want good service and the darkest tint, they're perfect. the tint in my pics isnt even the darkest they have.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
come check out the shop that did mine. if you want good service and the darkest tint, they're perfect. the tint in my pics isnt even the darkest they have.
Do you think they would they black out my drivers side and passenger side windows? I know it's not legal but whenever I drive my windows are always down. They are only up when it's parked and when I'm getting pictures.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Do you think they would they black out my drivers side and passenger side windows? I know it's not legal but whenever I drive my windows are always down. They are only up when it's parked and when I'm getting pictures.
yea they'll do it, just make sure you bring cash, and they dont give receipts for front window tints. just so that they dont get into any trouble,

sorry op
Old 10-20-2009, 01:30 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
yea they'll do it, just make sure you bring cash, and they dont give receipts for front window tints. just so that they dont get into any trouble,

sorry op
Cool, I'll give them a call after I'm done with rice harvest. I'll PM you when I come down so you can show me the tint shop, I can show you the lights and probably get pictures of the cars...... if mine is worthy!

Don't apologize to the OP, I'll send him a link to my write-up and his problem will be solved!
Old 10-20-2009, 04:00 AM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Cool, I'll give them a call after I'm done with rice harvest. I'll PM you when I come down so you can show me the tint shop, I can show you the lights and probably get pictures of the cars...... if mine is worthy!

Don't apologize to the OP, I'll send him a link to my write-up and his problem will be solved!
Don't be so cocky. Those KC lenses already blind oncoming traffic with the 100w bulbs. Put HIDs in there and you'll be a cop magnet, or just blinding oncoming traffic. HIDs need some sort of cutoff point and those lenses have none... The guy I mentioned earlier who runs HIDs in his fogs also blinds oncoming traffic...
Old 10-20-2009, 04:16 AM
TECH Addict

I don't think I'm necessarily cocky, I can always aim the lights down or modify the lenses to keep from blinding oncoming traffic. I'm not gonna install them and say to hell with everyone else.
Old 03-29-2022, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

safety expert Trooper Steve Montiero answers viewer questions and shares tips about the rules of the road, helping Central Florida residents become better drivers by being better educated.

Trooper Steve was recently asked, “Can I use my fog lights in substitute of my headlights?”

Trooper Steve said everything on our vehicles has an individual purpose.

“Not one thing is designed to replace another thing,” he said. “Your fog lights are designed to assist you when you’re dealing with inclement weather, especially fog. They are not designed to illuminate a roadway with the distance that your headlights are designed for.''

Although not all vehicles are made with fog lights, all vehicles do have headlights.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Could you use your fog lights instead of headlights?