Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Whats reasonable cost for painting hood?

Old 10-21-2009, 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Whats reasonable cost for painting hood?

hey guys, i just got a ram air hood for my car. Its red and i need it painted to match my car, what is a reasonable price for that to be done?
Thanks zack
Old 10-21-2009, 10:18 PM
Teching In

hello! not many responses on this .. i know around here in oklahoma you can get it done right for no more than 500.00 do some shopping around and if the shops are a bit slow maybe a bit less.. and a good shop can match it with no problem.. let us know what estimates turn out to be in your area.. good luck!!!
Old 10-21-2009, 11:20 PM
TECH Addict

$300-$500
Old 10-24-2009, 07:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

just got mine paint to match a few weeks back. $450
Old 10-25-2009, 01:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

not to hijack but, would that cost include fitting the hood as well?
Old 10-25-2009, 02:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i was quoted $580, but i got it done for $250 with no paint matching
Old 10-25-2009, 09:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pheer
not to hijack but, would that cost include fitting the hood as well?
the $450 i payed included install/fitting/paint
Old 10-26-2009, 08:28 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well this is what I will say, after paying for this job......

There are a few factors that goes into a quote for the job, and that its not going to be the same across the nation as the price can vary depending on shop, supplies, labor, and skill of the person doing the work.

I break it down these factors when looking at it

Hood- What type of hood is it, OEM?, Aftermarket? if so what brand?

Previous Work- It's been painted, so it needs to be scuffed, if not stripped.

Fittment- Can vary depending on the hood. I have seen cars need to be fucked with and fucked with to get it look "okay" well thats hours of shop time, which you might be able to do yourself, maybe not.

Paint Supplies- What supplies are being used, how many coats

Labor- For fitment and also, are they going to blend it into the car? Some base colors
like black, white, red may not need this. ANY Metallic paint Requires this.

Other parts- Going off my prev example, since he has a metallic style paint, to make it look right, will need to respray the bumper, fenders, hood lamps, and into the doors to make it look honestly right.

Now granted even OEM needs to be messed with but its better then 99% of all Aftermarket hoods out there. I bought a used, unpainted US Exotic WS.9 hood for like 450$ which is cheap. It was already off the car so I could not see how it fit. I def saw a rub mark where the brake resivor was rubbing badly.

I tossed the hood on last year for a race and it was lighter but to me nothing extraordinary, but still looked killer. A buddy and I got it on there, and got the hood the close. The gaps were all fucked up. we ended up hogging out the driver side hood hinge. The problem is the hood was not level even with the stops removed, the driver side corner tipped down, the passanger side was up. THEN looking top down, imagine turning the hood clock wise about 5 degrees, and that was another issue. BUT it closed so I did not care.

As a Xmas present from my father-in-law who is a meticulius person, sent it to the shop to have the hood properly fitted, prepped, painted, and do the bumper, hood lamps, and blend in. This was all on Navy Blue Metallic paint which is probably one of the hardest of OEM paints to match as its dark and again, metallic. Unless your nose, fenders and hood lamps are perfect match is still tough. Mine had chips and bug stains so it all got done.

My Father-in-law did not tell me at first but I did find out. It came to about $1,200 which did not include the hood.

At first I was puzzled but after doing the research I am showing here, it makes sense. Most of the cost was in the Labor to get the hood right. They actually had to remove the bumper and fenders to get it all to fight right.

To be honest, the people I have shown they have said, looks exactly like stock which can be tough as shops will make the paint look too perfect so it wont blend correctly.

Here are the before and after, feel free to look at the Album.....

Before

*Note: Hood is unpainted, went sorta grey with the gel coat wearing off, no pics of fitment but it sucked*

After
https://ls1tech.com/forums/album.php?albumid=551
Old 10-26-2009, 08:42 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ultimate it depends on how cheap you want it, certainly there are guys out there who can prep and squirt a hood, the question is how is it going to look, how will it look on the car and will it fit right. If your not the type of guy who can do that kind of work, then leave it to a professional.

Your situation, and if it was OEM stock and the body was nearly as mint as well, i would expect to still pay 600-800 dollars as it is a metallic paint and ultimately to have it look correct and good, your going to have to blend. Which will be the extra cost over a monotone color.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Whats reasonable cost for painting hood?