Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 or 6.0 swap

Old 11-28-2009, 09:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5.3 or 6.0 swap

Well im just getting my plans together for my lsx swap into my 06 colorado ready. I have a few questions that i hope you guys can help with.

Ok so in 09 gm came out with the 5.3 in the colorado. My plans are going to be a basic budget turboed 5.3 or 6.0 build with a built 4l60e or possibly 4l80e if i can get it to fit without alot of fabrication to the tunnel.

With the 5.3 in the colorado i now think it will make this swap alot easier, such as motor mounts, possibly harness/computer if necessary. One of my major questions are when adapting or modifying a factory harness from another car and i dont need something, is it just i pull the wiring from the harness and out of the computer connector.

ALso on the motor, what would be a decent budget combo for the 5.3 and 6.0(lq4 or lq9) what evers the best deal at the time is what i plan to get.

On the 5.3 i was thinking freshen up bottom end with some 241's, and ls6 intake....
Old 11-28-2009, 09:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

If you went with a 6.0L, make it the LQ4 as the LQ9 has higher compression. I'd personally go LQ4 vs 5.3. I found a 08 LY6 for the same and cheaper than some LQ4s.

If you really want to go CHEAP, I've seen complete 5.3s like #350.00-$650.00 on LKQ sites. This cheap, they are basically a throw away motor. Blow it, throw it away. LOL.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

lol, good point. What compression does the lq4 have. And is there any type of headgasket that would lower the compression alittle more? And what about the ly6?

My plans are to get it up and running good, drive it till it blows, then forge the bottom end and add mroe boost. im hoping for somewere around the 475-500rwhp.

Im new to the lsz based motors, i recently purchased a 98z28 to help my learning and knowledge base on the motors....and i like them hahaha. So much easier to make power with these than the for i have
Old 11-28-2009, 10:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

I beleive the LQ4s have a cr of 9.4:1 OR 9.6:1. The LY6s run 9.6:1 from what I've read.

When I looked for LQ4/9s, they were like $1100.00 120,000miles (OMG) to $2000.00 for 20,000Miles.
I found several LY6s ( LQ4 replacement) from $1400.00 w/30,000M , 2@$1600.00 w/20,-30,000Miles and 1 @ $2,200.00 with like 8,000Miles. Remember these LY6s have VVT and the desirable L92/LS3 heads. You can always ditch the VVT fairly cheaply. and still have a LS3 headed 6.0L. I plan on keeping the VVT. Just my .02
Old 11-28-2009, 11:38 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one for sale I am trying to sell it as complete as possible. It is in the for sale section. Where are you located?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts...iring-pcm.html
Old 11-28-2009, 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Sorry, kinda long...

For my money... I would buy a 5.3. These engines are much more common (like 2:1 compared to all other displacements) and thus much cheaper. In stock form they don't make much less power and in a boosted application displacement isn't nearly as important as N/A. 5.3's can be acquired for under $700 with everything except a flywheel if you go to the right place. Getting one in good shape is like picking fruit at eye level from a tree while standing on the ground. Since you saved money on the engine that could save money on the overall build cost or allow you to put more $$ in the swap, turbo setup, tuning or other drivetrain parts you may need. I just can't justify the increased cost of a 6.0. Unless you have specific unmentioned needs the 5.3 won't meet, those engines are very hard to beat.

If you have the item deleted in the PCM like EGR, second O2's, etc. you can just remove the offending wires. I like to make the engine run on it's own before getting too crazy with the wiring harness. This lets me know all is well while allowing me to plan for computer placement and adjust things accordingly while everything is apart.

4L60E transmissions are plenty stout if properly built and maintained. 60's don't suffer from the fitment issues of the 4L80E's differently shaped and slightly larger case.

The car to truck intake swap requires a matching set of fuel rails and injectors. Truck injectors / rails won't fit the car intake without modification. Most times the car intake won't clear the truck belt rout without some modification, etc. It CAN be done - just letting you know doesn't just fall on.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:53 PM
Launching!

2 X for what ^^ gofast said, i got a low mileage Lq9 for cheap,(basically given to me) but i cant convince the rest of my b-body cousins that 5.3's are sufficient and cost effective ... because i have "the high compression 6.0". For my money i'd buy a 5.3 FIRST time out... swapping.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by matt1976
I have one for sale I am trying to sell it as complete as possible. It is in the for sale section. Where are you located?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts...iring-pcm.html
I seen that in the sale section and its very tempting, but im not ready to buy yet srry...
Old 11-28-2009, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
For my money... I would buy a 5.3. These engines are much more common (like 2:1 compared to all other displacements) and thus much cheaper. In stock form they don't make much less power and in a boosted application displacement isn't nearly as important as N/A. 5.3's can be acquired for under $700 with everything except a flywheel if you go to the right place. Getting one in good shape is like picking fruit at eye level from a tree while standing on the ground. Since you saved money on the engine that could save money on the overall build cost or allow you to put more $$ in the swap, turbo setup, tuning or other drivetrain parts you may need. I just can't justify the increased cost of a 6.0. Unless you have specific unmentioned needs the 5.3 won't meet, those engines are very hard to beat.

If you have the item deleted in the PCM like EGR, second O2's, etc. you can just remove the offending wires. I like to make the engine run on it's own before getting too crazy with the wiring harness. This lets me know all is well while allowing me to plan for computer placement and adjust things accordingly while everything is apart.

4L60E transmissions are plenty stout if properly built and maintained. 60's don't suffer from the fitment issues of the 4L80E's differently shaped and slightly larger case.

The car to truck intake swap requires a matching set of fuel rails and injectors. Truck injectors / rails won't fit the car intake without modification. Most times the car intake won't clear the truck belt rout without some modification, etc. It CAN be done - just letting you know doesn't just fall on.
Thats some good points and suggestions. The trans from the colorado is the 4l60e but what some say has a shorter input shft or something. It can be used with a simple input swap. Also the internals are a bit weaker or something, but it would get me buy and rolling till i could send it off to get bulletproofed.

What would it take to get the 5.3 o 475-500rwhp? This is going to be a fun project, im just trying to get as much info on a basic FIlsx swap as possible. The truck is wire tb driven, would it be easier to convert to cable?
Old 11-28-2009, 07:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problem 06colorado! I understand budget constraints. I have bought and parted out three wrecked chevy pickups to be able to fund my 5.3 '69 camaro project.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

http://www.355nation.net/forum/engin...ks-videos.html
Old 11-28-2009, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by matt1976
No problem 06colorado! I understand budget constraints. I have bought and parted out three wrecked chevy pickups to be able to fund my 5.3 '69 camaro project.
Nice id like to see that!!! Yeah i agreed to the wife i wouldnt start another project till we buy a house lol. Hopefully it will be by this summer,That way ill finally have my own garage to work in

Jones'n, 355nation is a great source for some info for the collies. Iv been a member for awhile, thanks though!!! But it doesnt have any info oin straight lsx swaps fo them, and they all bashed me when i asked for info in the setup. Guess they didnt believe that im going to do it, idk
Old 11-29-2009, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

So what all will i need to so the swap?

Im going to go with a cable drive tb.

My list consist of motor,trans, harness....what all of the harness do i need. Is there a seperate harness for the trans that i must get?
Old 11-30-2009, 10:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 06colorado
So what all will i need to so the swap?

Im going to go with a cable drive tb.

My list consist of motor,trans, harness....what all of the harness do i need. Is there a seperate harness for the trans that i must get?
If I was on a budget I would use the harness that came with the donor engine and mod it accordingly. If you aren't comfortable with that task you could buy a stand alone harness. Auto trans cars / trucks have the trans wiring built in the engine harness and it is all controlled by the engine computer.

I'm not sure what bell housing is on the trans is in your truck but if it has the GM 90* (V8) bolt pattern it is already in place so you don't need to swap that - for now. If it is a 60* V6 pattern the trans is new enough to be a separate bell housing model so a bell housing swap and the adapter ring for the crank snout would get you rolling.

For a better idea of what is required, you may want to check out the sticky on budget swaps by MeanYellowZ. Granted this is generic swap info but it will give you a better idea of the parts count and cost requirements.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

Im comfortable to do the modification myself, so im going to try and save money there. My plans are to use the ls6 intake. So im going to get a harness from a 2000-2002 ls1 a4 car for the fact of the injector plugs for the cars injectors. When i get to a wire on the harness i dont need, say the egr or something, can i just take that wire out form the computer connector?

The 4l60 in the colorados require the v8bellhousing and input shaft to mate with the ls motor. Now that im really reading deep into the project my plans have a curve in it for now. Im going to do the budget build with my trans and the 5.3 and get everything workign accordingly. Then Im going to save my money and forge the bottom end and do a single turbo system. This way im not jumping into to deep of waters..lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.3 or 6.0 swap