Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

"Street Racing Law" in Ohio, Please Read

Old 12-08-2009, 01:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default "Street Racing Law" in Ohio, Please Read

For those of you who are not aware there is a bill that has already passed in the Ohio House of Represenatives regarding street racing refered to as the Monica Durban Law. Many people feel that this bill provides too much power to police officers and that the propossed law is poorly written without specifics in order to charge someone with street racing. I feel that this is an invasion on everyone's rights and this bill needs to be rewritten.

Read the summary of the bill here.

http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/a...0191-i-128.htm

I have started a petition here for those of you who feel the way I do. I will be doing everything in my power to fight this, so please pass this along if you agree.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/aut...ica-durban-law

I would also recommend that you write to your senator, and anybody with any ideas that would help my cause they will be welcomed.

Thank you,
Scott Cordell

Last edited by ND2RACE; 12-08-2009 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ND2RACE
For those of you who are not aware there is a bill that has already passed in the Ohio House of Represenatives regarding street racing refered to as the Monica Durban Law. Many people feel that this bill provides too much power to police officers and that the propossed law is poorly written without specifics in order to charge someone with street racing. I feel that this is an invasion on everyone's rights and this bill needs to be rewritten.

Read the summary of the bill here.

http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/a...0191-i-128.htm

I have started a petition here for those of you who feel the way I do. I will be doing everything in my power to fight this, so please pass this along if you agree.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/aut...ica-durban-law

I would also recommend that you write to your senator, and anybody with any ideas that would help my cause they will be welcomed.

Thank you,
Scott Cordell
You have requested a page that does not exist on this site. Fix link please?
Old 12-08-2009, 02:05 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by xephona
You have requested a page that does not exist on this site. Fix link please?
Thank you, I lost the links when I copied it. It's fixxed.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

So... by my understanding... if you accelerate faster than "normal", you lose your license for 1 year (or 3 if you hurt someone... which is reasonable i guess) for your first offense, and 3 years to life for consecutive offenses. Courts may not suspend the sentence.... so there is no leniency in this new law. And finally you WILL lose your car if it is registered in your name, or if a buddy let you borrow their car and had reasonable cause to think you might race.

.... I personally don't care about the manslaughter part... because if you kill someone due to your stupidity you shouldn't be driving ever again. But that racing thing seems to be WAY off balance. If your clutch slips and you accelerate faster than you wanted to (yes... rare circumstance.. but still a possibility), then you WILL lose your car and license for a year. I also assume that the "reasonable cause to believe that the offender would operate the motor vehicle in violation of the street racing prohibition or a substantially equivalent municipal ordinance" can be exploited by the police if they find ANY modifications done to the vehicle.

... sigh... I am sooo glad I don't live in OH, and pray that they remove this... and don't adopt it in other states. I am all for these punishments if someone is actually hurt, but I am rather fond of fast acceleration because it tends to get my *** out of bad situations with other ******* drivers who don't pay attention.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:17 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Originally Posted by xephona
I am all for these punishments if someone is actually hurt
Honestly, I'd rather get hurt and have nothing happen to the offender than see a law like this get passed. Why? Because those that are willing to give up their freedom in the name of safety deserve neither. That law, as proposed, goes WAY too ******* far.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Honestly, I'd rather get hurt and have nothing happen to the offender than see a law like this get passed. Why? Because those that are willing to give up their freedom in the name of safety deserve neither. That law, as proposed, goes WAY too ******* far.
I couldn't have said it better if I tried...
Old 12-08-2009, 06:45 PM
TECH Junkie

· Requires a retailer who sells at retail nitrous oxide to require every person who purchases nitrous oxide in Ohio from the retailer to sign a nitrous oxide purchase statement, and requires a retail seller to retain every nitrous oxide purchase statement for a period of not less than two years from the date of the retail sale that generated the purchase statement.

· Provides that any person who purchases nitrous oxide at retail in Ohio who uses nitrous oxide in a motor vehicle that the person operates on a public road, street, or highway in Ohio is guilty of falsification, a misdemeanor of the first degree.

So....if you have a street/strip car, you better not use nitrous oxide??
Old 12-08-2009, 08:06 PM
Launching!

thats what i was wondering??? so if i have nitrous on my dd then im f'ed? hahaha
Old 12-08-2009, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This stuff happens when you have people street racing not to mention getting in wrecks and killing people in the process..... on the nitrous that is a little much but as long as you leave the bottle out of the car on the street then I don't see how they could pin in on you...... could even pull the feed line off the noids to prove you don't have a hidden bottle or are using it on the streeet......... 99% of the time people only spray on the street when they are racing............

If you think you that law is bad don't move to so cal, get caught street racing and loose your liscence and get your car crushed....... or huge tickets if you are not racing but are pulled over for suspected illegal mods and get busted for mods that are not CARB legal...

There are allready laws in place like this, in IN they can and often do arrest you and or tow your car for racing........... If the cop thinks you were racing then they can get you for that.... the only crazy one is the bottle......

I solve the problem....... if you get on the gas hard make sure nobody else is even close to you so that it is on camera when the cop hits his lights.......... and don't street race.

The people that will hate this law are the street racers...... the ones this is going after....
Old 12-09-2009, 02:03 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
This stuff happens when you have people street racing not to mention getting in wrecks and killing people in the process..... on the nitrous that is a little much but as long as you leave the bottle out of the car on the street then I don't see how they could pin in on you...... could even pull the feed line off the noids to prove you don't have a hidden bottle or are using it on the streeet......... 99% of the time people only spray on the street when they are racing............

If you think you that law is bad don't move to so cal, get caught street racing and loose your liscence and get your car crushed....... or huge tickets if you are not racing but are pulled over for suspected illegal mods and get busted for mods that are not CARB legal...

There are allready laws in place like this, in IN they can and often do arrest you and or tow your car for racing........... If the cop thinks you were racing then they can get you for that.... the only crazy one is the bottle......

I solve the problem....... if you get on the gas hard make sure nobody else is even close to you so that it is on camera when the cop hits his lights.......... and don't street race.

The people that will hate this law are the street racers...... the ones this is going after....
I'm sorry but you've missed the point, this law provides no real deffinition of street racing. It would be solely up to the officer, and doesn't require you to even be racing anyone, you can be all alone on the highway. I could care less about the penalties, because I don't street race. This is going to affect far more people then just street racers.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
Think of how many guys that race, that spray, DRIVE the car to the track, myself included.

I don't care how many lines you disconnect, with that wording, if you have the bottle in the car, you SOL.

I am 110% against street racing, they ruin it for the rest of us, but ND2RACE is correct...it's the officers disgression. Hell, my car sounds like i'm hauling ***, but I could be just going with the crowd.

Just not well defined
Old 12-09-2009, 05:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To make a long story short: This law is the result of someone who had been drinking going out to specifically street race someone in freezing conditions with drag radials, skinnies and nitrous on the car. The guy lost control, crossed the median and hit a girl. He died ... she ended up in a coma and with substantial permanent injuries. The guy who was racing in the other car went to trial but walked away because Ohio didn't have any laws in place to cover the situation. The girl's father was a lawyer with connections who helped promote this new bill as a result.

I would back this law if it truely targeted street racing as was the case above, but as it is written everything is wide open to the police to define a "street racing" act. It's totally subjective and that's wrong. The nitrous I don't have a problem.

Last edited by GTO1_OHIO; 12-09-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:34 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Originally Posted by GTO1_OHIO
To make a long story short: This law is the result of someone who had been drinking going out to specifically street race someone in freezing conditions with drag radials, skinnies and nitrous on the car. The guy lost control, crossed the median and hit a girl. He died ... she ended up in a coma and with substantial permanent injuries. The guy who was racing in the other car went to trial but walked away because Ohio didn't have any laws in place to cover the situation. The girl's father was a lawyer with connections who helped promote this new bill as a result.
It's always something like that. Too damn bad that people try to go from one extreme to the other. Nothing at all is in place, so now lets just give the police 100% descretion and make everything illegal. What is wrong with the human race that so many asshats can't understand the idea of a middle ground?
Old 12-10-2009, 11:11 AM
10 Second Club

Those of you who have an opinion of this bill and really want your voices heard should at the very least write a professional e-mail to their senator. The petition will not do nearly as much as a short note directly to your senator. Here is a link to help any of you find contact information.
http://www.ohiosenate.gov/

Thanks for getting involved to help protect our rights as enthusiasts.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:49 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Old 12-27-2009, 09:32 PM

Default New Ohio Law

I agree that the problem with the law is that it allow individual police officers to determine what is and isnt drag racing or improper acceleration. As an owner of a radical 1965 corvette, we feel driving on the roads will put us at risk for an inexperienced police offers to think that a display of power is a drag racing. We attend many car shows events that depend upon radical cars to draw in big crowds and we feel that this law will cause people with performance cars to think twice before taking them on the roads. In the past, we have been detained for hours by police officers who think our car is illegal because they are too young to understand what it is.

As a performance engine builder it will also hurt my business. Performance cars, hot rodding and car shows are a big industry here in ohio and I think the law will affect ohio economically in a bad way.

Another point is that the law for drunk drivers isn't even this harsh and over 11,000 people dies last year due to drunk drivers and no one takes their cars.

We will be encourgaing our friends, customers, and car buddies to sign the petition. I understand the seriousness of drag racing and I dont support it, but I think the law is too harsh in cases where no injuires have even occurred.

I have also contacted Senator Tom Patton on this matter. I feel this law will infringe upon our rights to enjoy and drive performance cars.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Box Performance

Another point is that the law for drunk drivers isn't even this harsh and over 11,000 people dies last year due to drunk drivers and no one takes their cars.
Yea they don't take the drunk drivers vehicles. They just make them put on a yellow plate for repeat offenses. Whats funny, is the DUI plate for ohio is the exact same colors and letter boxes for the Disable american veteran plate for Indiana.

SO this law will make it the officers discretion on whether a person was street racing even if they are by themselves? A nitrous bottle in the car alone will make you an offender? That sucks. I wouldn't stand for that in Indiana. Most that happens to street racers is they get their car towed and they spend time in Jail for an illegal speed contest.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:07 PM

Default Lets work together

Thank you,
Scott Cordell
Scott, I am connected to a large network of car people (as I call them) we are working at spreading the word. You should be seeing a surge in signatures on the petition as we spread the word. What happens after you reach 1,000?

What else can we do to stop this bill from being passed. I have written to my senator, still haven't heard back. Do you know when the senate is voting on this?

Please contact me at boxperformance@aol.com

Thank you

Box
Old 12-28-2009, 03:49 PM

Default Posted on Crusin Times

We spoke to the Crusin Times Magaine Online and got your petition posted on the home page for people to review.

Check it out;

http://www.cruisintimes.org/cruisin/
Old 12-28-2009, 05:31 PM

I'm a bike guy and have made some noise about this on a few motorcycle forums ---

I wrote to my senator saying I support the bill but delete section 3 - thats the part of it that leaves everything for intrepretation for the LEO -not good.

and here is the response ---

I received your e-mail expressing your support for House Bill 191, which would increase the penalties for street racing. I appreciate you taking the time to contact me on this issue.
House Bill 191 has been assigned to the Senate Judiciary Criminal Justice Committee where it will undergo further debate. Please know I value your suggestions and look forward to working with my colleagues should this legislation come before me in the Ohio Senate.
Again, thank you for your e-mail. I encourage you to contact me should you have additional concerns on this or any other issue facing Ohio .

Sincerely,
Jon A. Husted
Senator
6th District

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Street Racing Law" in Ohio, Please Read