General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help..Can't remove key, steering wheel / shifter won't lock.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help..Can't remove key, steering wheel / shifter won't lock.

Just started the TA in the shop for a few seconds (maybe 20) and now the key can't be removed, the steering wheel won't lock and the shifter won't lock. The shifter can be moved thru the gears whith out pressing the brake.. The steering wheel won't lock. The key can't be removed.. Trying to remove the key is the same in park as in drive..
I rarely drive the car, mostly just have been doing a few upgrades.. They were the Strano/Koni upgrade, changed plugs and wires, replaced pan-hard bar and several coats of Zanio.. NONE of those would cause this problem.. So
I am a little lost..Any ideas??? Off to read up on my 2001 GM service manual for some possible clues...
Old 01-15-2010, 09:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Is it an auto? Make sure that it is COMPLETELY put in park.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

Yea it is an auto, and verified shifter is all the way forward.. Very common problem on my 2nd gens, just mechanical linkage, and shifter position is mostly the problem..
Old 01-16-2010, 03:53 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Is the shifter button all the way up? My '97Z has that same problem, except one day the button broke off completely and sprung itself right out of the car...
Old 01-16-2010, 03:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Yup its deff your shifter problem... I stoped to get the mail the other day and couldn't figure out why my car wouldn't start, why I couldn't get the key out, etc etc etc......forgot to put it in park...lol
Old 01-16-2010, 04:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine is a manual so maybe its different but mine did the same thing recently and it was the switch itself. Key wouldn't come out, wouldn't shut off nothing. New switch problem solved.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:28 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks.. It is in park, the pushbutton for the shiftet works and "feels" normal..
The schematics show 1st thing is the brake switch controls the shift lock solonoid.. So, I will check that first...Still doesn't explain why the steering
wheel won't lock.. That is a mystery......Car was not driven, just sitting when
this occured.........
Old 01-16-2010, 12:42 PM
Staging Lane

Brake light switch appears to be ok, off to use test light to verify solonoid is getting power.. If i remember correctly, whenever the brake is depressed you
hear a "click"??? Can any of you automatic guys verify if you can hear the "click" and if so what position is the keyswitch in????
Old 01-16-2010, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't recall hearing a click in either of mine, but I could be that deaf....but In some of my other auto's I have had, I do recall "feeling" the click....
Old 01-16-2010, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a cable preventing you from getting your key out. It's the park-lock cable. It goes from the shifter arm to the ignition switch. Pop it off the shifter and you should be able to get your key out. If not, then you have something physically binding in the column or ignition cylinder.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:51 PM
12 Second Club

Just a stab in the dark here, but did you put an aftermarket shift handle on? I did this to one of my V6s when I was younger(back when the only mods I could do were the cheap auto zone appearance mods) and I tightened the handle down too far. This would not let the button go all the way back up and kept the car from fully going into park and the ignition switch from returning back to the off position. If you don't have a aftermarket handle on, take the stocker handle off. You may have pushed it down, or it got hit and is now binding the button down so that it cant fully go into park.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:06 PM
10 Second Club

Give the shifter a good smack with the heel of your hand. Mine has done that before and this quick little karate move had always fixed it. Give it a try.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

Spartan you are correct, it was the cable adjustment..
Hugger, I found out about the cable using your test..smacking the shifter and it would engage the solonoid..
The problem is that the park/nuetral safety switch also provides a ground path when the shifter is placed into park.. So, cable out of adjustment means
that it would not go fully into park preventing the negative path to ground to complete the circuit... THANKS EVERYBODY>>>>>>>>
Old 01-17-2010, 07:21 AM
...with cheese.

Good info here

Quick Reply: Help..Can't remove key, steering wheel / shifter won't lock.