Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Found good, no stress no bullshit way to remove pilot bearing.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Found good, no stress no bullshit way to remove pilot bearing.

Guys, I found a way to remove the pilot bearing. I know that alot of people are doing there own clutch jobs right now due to the Monster sale going on, and a lot of people are having issues with the pilot bearing due to the fact that a conventional puller that you can get at Autozone or Oreilly won't fit. Some have tried the grease trick, others have resorted to hacking it out with a chisel.

Well, after thinking the problem through I found a solution. Autozone rents a tool called the Blind Hole Puller set.

Basically, its a metal wedge that you stick in the pilot bearing, twist the screw to expand it, and then use the slide hammer attachment to get it out. It latched onto the pilot bearing, (even when it was nasty and covered in grease) and popped it out in no time.

The only bad news is that Autozone is pretty proud of it and charges 160.00 bucks to rent it.

But if you have a 160 bucks floating around, this is the best way to get it out.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:13 PM
12 Second Club

Used that on mine, worked great.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:51 AM
9 Second Club

Thanks for the post, I actually didn't change mine when I did my clutch because all of the horror stories going around at the time. I will def go this route next time.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:55 AM
12 Second Club

Could not locate one at harbor freight but egay has them very cheap. Sounds like a handy tool to have actually.I bet wheel bearing would be a breeze with this, pull the seal and all out at once... possibly..
Old 02-17-2010, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

best cheapest, and works EVERYTIME way is to use white bread.

I swear, try it next time you do a pilot bearing. use a clutch alignment tool(or in my case a broked input shaft) and keep stuffing the bread in there and use the alingnment tool to keep pushing and pushing in the bread, and when there is enough in there it will start to come out.

I have used white bread on about 25 pilot bearings. try it sometime. sure beats buying all these special tools.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:14 AM
TECH Regular

And just how in the world did you come up with this? Did you just decide to shove a sandwich in their one day after getting frustrated about not getting it out?
Old 02-17-2010, 10:17 AM
12 Second Club

A tool is always worth it IMO. Bread is a waste.. and just damn wierd
Old 02-17-2010, 10:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

That's a bad-*** Tool..I'll have to try and find one.

It's like a Power Steering Pulley Puller Kit..they are really handy.
I got mine from Oriellys, $30..rented it and told them that I didn't plan on bringin it back..
Originally Posted by BES Stroked Nova
I have used white bread on about 25 pilot bearings. try it sometime. sure beats buying all these special tools.
I hope none of them were stock LS1's..you are runnin the risk of poppin out the Freeze Plug.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by twelver12
And just how in the world did you come up with this? Did you just decide to shove a sandwich in their one day after getting frustrated about not getting it out?
Nope, back when I put my first clutch in, I put it in at my uncle's shop with the lift. and when it came time for the pilot bearing, he got some white bread and it popped out like nothing. being doing for about 4 years like this.

Originally Posted by Joshiedoom
A tool is always worth it IMO. Bread is a waste.. and just damn wierd
sure thing dude. I'll spend my money ELSEWHERE....

Originally Posted by the_merv
That's a bad-*** Tool..I'll have to try and find one.

It's like a Power Steering Pulley Puller Kit..they are really handy.
I got mine from Oriellys, $30..rented it and told them that I didn't plan on bringin it back..

I hope none of them were stock LS1's..you are runnin the risk of poppin out the Freeze Plug.
havnt popped one out yet and some where stock, some where 6.0L's, some built. dont seem to hurt nothing that I came across yet.

do what you guys want. I just suggested something that worked for me.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:52 PM
11 Second Club

It's all good..I was just mentioning it.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:23 PM
TECH Resident

The bread idea works. I got it from my friends dad who has done many clutch jobs. Gets them out in 5 mins or less. Solid is better than a liquid any day.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1's have a plug in the rear of the crank and the bread or grease method can pop it into the crank causing a huge oil leak. It does work great on older small blocks or if u have an aftermarket crank. Just saying.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:47 AM
11 Second Club

^^He knows what I'm talking about..
Old 02-18-2010, 07:59 AM
12 Second Club

sure thing dude. I'll spend my money ELSEWHERE....
So you can buy a tool once for like 30 bucks on ebay or keep buying bread for the rest of your life and take a risk of damaging the engine.

Ahh, I see where that elsewhere money goes now...
Old 02-18-2010, 08:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Blind Hole Puller

I rented that kit from Autozone and it was like they said a $160.00 deposit which actually pays for the tool if you decide to keep it, and it worked great I thought it was even better than sliced bread. It does kinda mangle the old bearing so you need to feel in the crank area to make sure no little needle bearing pieces are trying to hide in there.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1vazquez
Guys, I found a way to remove the pilot bearing. I know that alot of people are doing there own clutch jobs right now due to the Monster sale going on, and a lot of people are having issues with the pilot bearing due to the fact that a conventional puller that you can get at Autozone or Oreilly won't fit. Some have tried the grease trick, others have resorted to hacking it out with a chisel.

Well, after thinking the problem through I found a solution. Autozone rents a tool called the Blind Hole Puller set.

Basically, its a metal wedge that you stick in the pilot bearing, twist the screw to expand it, and then use the slide hammer attachment to get it out. It latched onto the pilot bearing, (even when it was nasty and covered in grease) and popped it out in no time.

The only bad news is that Autozone is pretty proud of it and charges 160.00 bucks to rent it.

But if you have a 160 bucks floating around, this is the best way to get it out.
what is this monster deal you speak of?
Old 02-18-2010, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

best cheapest, and works EVERYTIME way is to use white bread.

I swear, try it next time you do a pilot bearing. use a clutch alignment tool(or in my case a broked input shaft) and keep stuffing the bread in there and use the alingnment tool to keep pushing and pushing in the bread, and when there is enough in there it will start to come out.

I've heard that you should not use this technique on our cars because it could damage the crank or something.

And you don't have to buy any special tools. You rent them.

I used AutoZone's puller, after I broke the GM specific tool.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:25 PM
11 Second Club

rented a conventional puller from autozone & realized that it didnt fit. since it was about midnight, i used the bench grinder to slightly modify the tool to fit. worked like a charm. put it back in the box & returned it, no questions asked.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dave70
LS1's have a plug in the rear of the crank and the bread or grease method can pop it into the crank causing a huge oil leak. It does work great on older small blocks or if u have an aftermarket crank. Just saying.
x2
bad idea on ls1, or hemi
Old 02-20-2010, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nobird8991
what is this monster deal you speak of?
The monster deal he was referring to was the sale that monster had/has on their clutches, I dont believe he was referring to the price of the tool, It is actually free, You just have to pay a 160.00 dollar deposit, bring it back get your money back.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Found good, no stress no bullshit way to remove pilot bearing.