Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost my key :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 07:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Lost my key :(

Ive had the worst weekend ever...first friday night my car gets a misfire...then this morning my grandmother passed away...and to top it all off i lost the keys to my camaro!! Does anyone know how much the stealership charges to make a new key for the door and the ignition? My car is a 2000 Z28.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like a mother f'er of a week, bro. sorry to hear that. i've never had to get a new key made but if i remember correctly, a friend of mine had a key made and it was under $100. but that was a few years ago, and it was a gm vehicle.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

$28 for keys but that was for a 92 typhoon. I just got them last week. All you need is to have the title and driver license and go to the parts counter. It took me like 15mins to get the keys.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 98TAjwh
sounds like a mother f'er of a week, bro. sorry to hear that. i've never had to get a new key made but if i remember correctly, a friend of mine had a key made and it was under $100. but that was a few years ago, and it was a gm vehicle.
Yep it sure was bro, and yea me and my friend found that the plug going from coil #7 to the spark plug was loose and thats what was causing my engine to misfire...so we reconnected the wire and made sure all the others were connected properly. Then when it came time to fire her up i reached into my jacket and the keys were gone. Checked in my jean pockets...nothin so i figured i probobly left them inside and i looked for them from 3:30 pm until like 7:30 evening. I flipped all the couches upside down and looked in every inch of the dam house and nothing. I guess i dropped them somewhere so i just reported them lost to the city maybe someone will find them! 100 that sucks i was hoping about 30-50 bucks.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by boost27
$28 for keys but that was for a 92 typhoon. I just got them last week. All you need is to have the title and driver license and go to the parts counter. It took me like 15mins to get the keys.
hmm doesnt sound bad. Does your key have that transponder chip thing in it? Mine is just like a normal camaro key its got a square head and has that metal thing in the middle of the key. and i heard they gotta match the key to a code or something and theres like 15 differnt ones for that stupid VATS system. lol well what a hell of a way to start my spring break huh lmao
Old 03-13-2010, 11:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Cheer up - a set of replacement keys for a fourth gen Camaro (door key and ignition key) is approx. $28.00. That's it! Now if you had a newer car and you happened to have lost your keys, kiss your paycheck good bye.

On the bright side of things, you had a misfire, and the solution could not have been more simplistic or less-costly. Then you lost your key, but you'll get a replacement for cheap; then when you eventually find your lost set, (and you will) you'll have two sets of keys for the 'camaro.

My condolences for your Grandmother's passing.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:52 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by The Bronx Bull
Cheer up - a set of replacement keys for a fourth gen Camaro (door key and ignition key) is approx. $28.00. That's it! Now if you had a newer car and you happened to have lost your keys, kiss your paycheck good bye.

On the bright side of things, you had a misfire, and the solution could not have been more simplistic or less-costly. Then you lost your key, but you'll get a replacement for cheap; then when you eventually find your lost set, (and you will) you'll have two sets of keys for the 'camaro.

My condolences for your Grandmother's passing.
Hey thanks man, she was an awsome grandmother and i know shes in a better place now. 28 bucks isnt anything at all man ill go to the dealership first thing monday morning. As far as the misfire im 95% sure it was that plug but im not sure lol...and if it is ill be very happy because that will save me 380 bucks on new coils. Thanks alot guys i really appreciate the help
Old 03-14-2010, 01:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

I worked as a tech at a dealer for four years. It's more then $28 if you don't have a key for them to copy.
You will have to replace the ign cylinder if you don't have a key to copy.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:45 AM
TECH Regular

well thats not good....i gguess ill find out when i go to the GM Dealer on monday..
Old 03-14-2010, 03:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Do you work on your own cars? if so you can save some money and replace it yourself
Old 03-14-2010, 03:31 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 98PurpleT/A
Do you work on your own cars? if so you can save some money and replace it yourself
Yes i do. But wasnt planning on replacing the dam ignition and ive never messed with it before...How is the job? and about how long does it take? And im assuming im gonna have to order the parts through the dealership so its gonna be pricey? Hopefully i find my damn keys!
Old 03-14-2010, 03:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

I just thought about it. If you dont know your chip number you need a vats code tool to find the code or you can buy a vats bypass.

After you figure what code you have you have to remove the steering wheel and becareful not to damage the clockspring. If you take your time you should be ok. I tie a piece of sting to the old wires that go to the ign before I pull it out that way you can tie it to the new wires and it make it easier to feed the wire through the column. I'll try to find pics and I'll post them
Old 03-14-2010, 03:45 AM
TECH Regular

I just thought about it. If you dont know your chip number you need a vats code tool to find the code or you can buy a vats bypass.

After you figure what code you have you have to remove the steering wheel and becareful not to damage the clockspring. If you take your time you should be ok. I tie a piece of sting to the old wires that go to the ign before I pull it out that way you can tie it to the new wires and it make it easier to feed the wire through the column. I'll try to find pics and I'll post them
Ok sounds good thanks.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you bypass the vats system you can buy a non vats ign switch, I thnk the 90's blazer ign switch works
here is some stuff to look at im still trying to find a write up
http://www.stolenandrecovered.com/howto/vats.php
http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61262
Old 03-14-2010, 04:16 AM
TECH Regular

Well i need the ohm reading from the key to get the right resistor right? And i have no key. I been reading other forums and info about my situation and some people said that all i gotta do is go to the GM dealership and give them my VIN and proof of ownership on the car and that they can make a copy the only problem is that it takes time to find the Vats code for the key. Im going to try that instead and i dont think my ign cylinder has ever been replaced before so they should be able to do it with the car VIN...Thanks for the help though at least now i know how to bypass that stupid VATS since i have had problems in the past with the security system.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:18 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

Very sorry to hear about your grandmother, my best to you and your family.

I had an extra key made a few years ago and it was $40-$45. No copy from my other key, just give them your vin number and some kind of proof that the car is yours and that's it. Hell they even gave me the round key for the doors/trunk/t-tops for free.

Just call your local Chevy (or any GM) dealership and ask them.

~ Craig
Old 03-14-2010, 04:30 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CRAGER
Very sorry to hear about your grandmother, my best to you and your family.

I had an extra key made a few years ago and it was $40-$45. No copy from my other key, just give them your vin number and some kind of proof that the car is yours and that's it. Hell they even gave me the round key for the doors/trunk/t-tops for free.

Just call your local Chevy (or any GM) dealership and ask them.

~ Craig
Thank you Sir, Hard to believe she's gone but her time just came. That sounds like a better idea than taking apart the steering column! As long as it doesnt rain tomorrow i should be good since i left my passenger window cracked a bit and i guess price just depends on the dealership and i figured 30-50 bucks is what it would take. Thanks alot guys you have all been very helpful and kind.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hope it works. I know my parts depaertment can do that with most cars but on 3rd and 4th gens I always replaced the ign when they got towed in. My parts guy at the time was also lazy so he may of been looking it up wrong. Let me know if it works, I'll call him and tell him he sucks
Old 03-14-2010, 04:56 AM
TECH Regular

Hope it works. I know my parts depaertment can do that with most cars but on 3rd and 4th gens I always replaced the ign when they got towed in. My parts guy at the time was also lazy so he may of been looking it up wrong. Let me know if it works, I'll call him and tell him he sucks
LOL Im going to go on monday and see what they can do. Hopefully i can get some made then go to home depot or walmart and get house keys made again lol...then all id have to do is order another Z28 Key chain and ill be good to go . Thanks for the help Craig, Purple T/A and The Bronx Bull and everyone else...Ill update on here on monday see what happens.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:04 AM
Staging Lane

I worked as a tech at a dealer for four years. It's more then $28 if you don't have a key for them to copy.
You will have to replace the ign cylinder if you don't have a key to copy.
I have lost keys, not to a camaro, but I gave the dealership my vin and they said it has a key code in it and cut me a set of keys. I didnt have no key to copy and it wasnt that much, i dont remeber how much but it wasnt high or i would remember.

Quick Reply: Lost my key :(