LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

UPDATE: Power Steering Hose Leak Customer Service Campaign

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default UPDATE: Power Steering Hose Leak Customer Service Campaign

Mods, can we sticky this?
This was important enough that I thought it deserved it's own thread.

Many of you are aware of the difficulties I and other members here encountered when trying to get the power steering hose replaced under GM's "Customer Service Campaign." If you're not, the original thread can be found here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-front...l#post13086409 There are other threads on this site describing the problem, and even a couple where the cars have burned to the ground.

In a nutshell, on certain 5.3 liter W-bodies, the high pressure power steering hose behind the engine can rupture and leak, potentialy causing an engine fire. This has happened to a few member here. Apparently, it's more likely to occur in cold temperatures, but has happened in all temps. When I called GM to ask, they initially told me that I could not get it fixed under the campaign because my car was not in an impacted VIN block, despite the fact that IT DOES appear in one of their databases as affected.

Today, I got a call back from Mollie at GM Customer Service. She informed me that GM has revised Customer Service Campaign 09132A for the power steering hoses on our cars. Apparently, they've added several new blocks of VIN numbers to their system, and my car was included in the update. She said I'll be receiving a customer service letter in the near future that will instruct me to take my car in for service. The downside is, the recall is being conducted in phases because there's a shortage of the replacement parts needed for the fix.

She advised that I still take the car in to make sure it's not leaking. If it's not, I have two options: (1) I can pay out-of-pocket if I still want it replaced, and then get reimbursed after I get the letter. Or (2), I can wait until I get the letter, then take the car in and get it fixed. She did say that if I get the hose replaced now (leaking or not), I might be waiting several days if the part isn't in dealer stock. It could take a while if they have to order it.

When I told her that I'm active in this community, she wanted me to pass this information on, and recommended that you call GM Customer Service at (800) 222-1020 and verify whether or not your car's VIN falls within one of the impacted blocks. She also said that you should make sure your contact information (name, address, phone #) is updated in GM's database so that you'll get the letter when it' sent. This is especially true if you're not the first owner of the car. (My car still had the original owner's info, even though it had been in for service on several occaisions.)

If you want to contact Mollie directly (since she's been incredibly helpful!), call her at (866) 790-5600, ext 11359. She can answer your questions about this and she can update your contact info.

Looks like there may be light at the end of the tunnel!
Old 03-25-2010, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Info. Thanks for sharing.

The Customer Service Number for Pontiac is
1-800-762-2737

They can provide the same help as LS1Racing has posted for Chevy owners.
(It may even go to the same call center, who knows....)

I called them and verified my contact info and they checked my VIN for CSC or Recalls. Of course, none applied to my vehicle. I mentioned another 08 GXP (bald menace) going up in flames and she was like, "ARE you having issues with the power steering?"
Old 03-25-2010, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by texasGXP08
Good Info. Thanks for sharing.

The Customer Service Number for Pontiac is
1-800-762-2737

They can provide the same help as LS1Racing has posted for Chevy owners.
(It may even go to the same call center, who knows....)

I called them and verified my contact info and they checked my VIN for CSC or Recalls. Of course, none applied to my vehicle. I mentioned another 08 GXP (bald menace) going up in flames and she was like, "ARE you having issues with the power steering?"
It is the same call center. They handle all divisions, even if they do say "Chevrolet" or "Pontiac" customer service.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:06 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the help. I called and talked to Mollie today. She was very nice and very helpfull. After calling to several dealers in my area and them acting like they had no idea what I was talking about. She told me to call customer service and report them, and take my car in and get it fixed. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

i hope mine catches on fire! i want a subaru!!!
Old 03-25-2010, 07:04 PM
TECH Regular

Just remember to always carry some marshmallows in your car and you are set
Old 03-25-2010, 07:14 PM
TECH Addict

For real...if mine catches on fire we're going RWD!
Old 03-26-2010, 12:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

what years is this for. The tech I talked to said it was just the 06's That had this problem?
Old 03-26-2010, 01:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
x2 burn baby burn.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Z28 Autobot
what years is this for. The tech I talked to said it was just the 06's That had this problem?
From what I saw, it was some 05 GXPs, and a BUNCH of 06 Impalas and Montes.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
From what I saw, it was some 05 GXPs, and a BUNCH of 06 Impalas and Montes.
awe.... i admit i was hoping my car'd be a victim... well.... sorta...
Old 03-26-2010, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do these people work on commission? Christ!

It took me to hang up on the first woman after repeated attempts for a tranfer and then stress again to the second woman for a transfer since Mollie's extension didn't work. It's insane!

I ended up being able to leave Mollie a voicemail and I anticipate her callback. And yes, my VIN is apart of the original block: 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix 61100004-61315421
Old 02-04-2011, 08:31 PM

Angry Power steering hose break 3 times this winter

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
Mods, can we sticky this?
This was important enough that I thought it deserved it's own thread.

Many of you are aware of the difficulties I and other members here encountered when trying to get the power steering hose replaced under GM's "Customer Service Campaign." If you're not, the original thread can be found here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-front...l#post13086409 There are other threads on this site describing the problem, and even a couple where the cars have burned to the ground.

In a nutshell, on certain 5.3 liter W-bodies, the high pressure power steering hose behind the engine can rupture and leak, potentialy causing an engine fire. This has happened to a few member here. Apparently, it's more likely to occur in cold temperatures, but has happened in all temps. When I called GM to ask, they initially told me that I could not get it fixed under the campaign because my car was not in an impacted VIN block, despite the fact that IT DOES appear in one of their databases as affected.

Today, I got a call back from Mollie at GM Customer Service. She informed me that GM has revised Customer Service Campaign 09132A for the power steering hoses on our cars. Apparently, they've added several new blocks of VIN numbers to their system, and my car was included in the update. She said I'll be receiving a customer service letter in the near future that will instruct me to take my car in for service. The downside is, the recall is being conducted in phases because there's a shortage of the replacement parts needed for the fix.

She advised that I still take the car in to make sure it's not leaking. If it's not, I have two options: (1) I can pay out-of-pocket if I still want it replaced, and then get reimbursed after I get the letter. Or (2), I can wait until I get the letter, then take the car in and get it fixed. She did say that if I get the hose replaced now (leaking or not), I might be waiting several days if the part isn't in dealer stock. It could take a while if they have to order it.

When I told her that I'm active in this community, she wanted me to pass this information on, and recommended that you call GM Customer Service at (800) 222-1020 and verify whether or not your car's VIN falls within one of the impacted blocks. She also said that you should make sure your contact information (name, address, phone #) is updated in GM's database so that you'll get the letter when it' sent. This is especially true if you're not the first owner of the car. (My car still had the original owner's info, even though it had been in for service on several occaisions.)

If you want to contact Mollie directly (since she's been incredibly helpful!), call her at (866) 790-5600, ext 11359. She can answer your questions about this and she can update your contact info.

Looks like there may be light at the end of the tunnel!
I have a Chevy Impala 2006, that has fallen into the VIN category of the 09132 tech service program. In November, PS hose broke and we had it fixed at Sears on Cape Cod (we were on vacation!) - at that time did not know about the recall program, etc. Then a month later, hose leaked again and we had the car towed and fixed at our local mechanic. I got suspicious then, so I started to look up on the web and found this forum and discovered our car had fallen into the 01932 TSProgram. Anyway, we had it fixed a third time at a Pontiac/Gm dealer under the mentioned program for free. We paid for the first two repairs. Now a few weeks later - the PS hose gave out again! We live in Buffalo area and it is freezing - but this is ridiculous! What should we do next????? PLEASE HELP OR ADVISE.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:09 PM
Banned

if mine catches fire im getting another one
Old 02-04-2011, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not that it matters, but its the RETURN line that is splitting. It impacts 2006 Impala and Monte with V6 or V8, and 05-06 GXP's with V8. This program expires on 2/28/11 so if your car falls within these VIN breakpoints, get it in to the dealer!

2006 Chevrolet Impala VIN 69100003 thru 69438808
2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo VIN 69100406 thru 69438794
2005 Pontiac Grand Prix VIN 51230922 thru 51356980
2006 Pontiac Grand Prix VIN 61100004 thru 61315421

The V8 lines arent very fun to do as the cradle must be dropped on the right side so the assembly can be removed. I've done dozens of them and they dont get any more fun but they arent too bad.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Linda Foster
I have a Chevy Impala 2006, that has fallen into the VIN category of the 09132 tech service program. In November, PS hose broke and we had it fixed at Sears on Cape Cod (we were on vacation!) - at that time did not know about the recall program, etc. Then a month later, hose leaked again and we had the car towed and fixed at our local mechanic. I got suspicious then, so I started to look up on the web and found this forum and discovered our car had fallen into the 01932 TSProgram. Anyway, we had it fixed a third time at a Pontiac/Gm dealer under the mentioned program for free. We paid for the first two repairs. Now a few weeks later - the PS hose gave out again! We live in Buffalo area and it is freezing - but this is ridiculous! What should we do next????? PLEASE HELP OR ADVISE.
Originally Posted by joshp14
Not that it matters, but its the RETURN line that is splitting. It impacts 2006 Impala and Monte with V6 or V8, and 05-06 GXP's with V8. This program expires on 2/28/11 so if your car falls within these VIN breakpoints, get it in to the dealer!

2006 Chevrolet Impala VIN 69100003 thru 69438808
2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo VIN 69100406 thru 69438794
2005 Pontiac Grand Prix VIN 51230922 thru 51356980
2006 Pontiac Grand Prix VIN 61100004 thru 61315421

The V8 lines arent very fun to do as the cradle must be dropped on the right side so the assembly can be removed. I've done dozens of them and they dont get any more fun but they arent too bad.
Very true..It's the high pressure return line that ruptures in the cold.

If you paid to have this fixed, GM should reimburse you, at least for the time it happened. The second time, it could be argued, Sears screwed it up, but it's always worth it to try. Anyway, I would call the GM customer service number in my first post of this thread, and it explain it to them. Assuming that it was the return line covered by the campaign, they should be able to do something for you.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
agreed

I just got done calling pontiac and sending in my info on the reimbursement. they say they will only be doing the repair or reimbursement till feb. 28th so i would say everyone call and check.they aslo said it was only for v6- v8 cars in the areas where it gets really cold during the winter. if you paid or paying out of pocket for it call them soon as it takes a few weeks to get the papers back
Old 02-05-2011, 10:57 AM
TECH Regular

I just called also. Funny thing is when mine took a **** I called the local dealer and dude lied to me said that my car didn't fall under the recall. Whatever I talked to GM and they are sending me the paper work.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Teching In

Just took my GXP in to the dealer this morning after the Power Steering line ruptured on the way to work. I was a little worried after reading that GM was stating they would not cover after Feb28th, but the dealer is covering it all under the recall.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:50 PM
Teching In

had mine replaced last fall under the recall. Didn't have any problems at all getting it fixed. The dealer called me and told me to bring it in.

Quick Reply: UPDATE: Power Steering Hose Leak Customer Service Campaign