Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Disable DOD

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 09:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Disable DOD

I have a L76 engine on the way to me that I am putting in an early Chevelle. I know that I will have to scrap the front sump pan and replace it with a rear sump pan. I have also heard that the DOD uses a different oil flow than conventional LS engines, and that a pan off of a non-DOD will not work.

If this is true, how does one disable the DOD? is it as simple as putting conventional lifters in the engine and editing out that function, or does anything else need to be plugged off? I am planning on a cam swap anyway, so the lifter swap is no big deal. I have been told that cams of .500 lift and over will not work with the DOD, is this true? If it is possible to have an engine with high lift and still have functioning DOD, I will probably go to the effort of finding a DOD pan that will fit my application, otherwise, I will just disable the DOD.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 06-15-2009, 03:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McGraw
I have a L76 engine on the way to me that I am putting in an early Chevelle. I know that I will have to scrap the front sump pan and replace it with a rear sump pan. I have also heard that the DOD uses a different oil flow than conventional LS engines, and that a pan off of a non-DOD will not work.

If this is true, how does one disable the DOD? is it as simple as putting conventional lifters in the engine and editing out that function, or does anything else need to be plugged off? I am planning on a cam swap anyway, so the lifter swap is no big deal. I have been told that cams of .500 lift and over will not work with the DOD, is this true? If it is possible to have an engine with high lift and still have functioning DOD, I will probably go to the effort of finding a DOD pan that will fit my application, otherwise, I will just disable the DOD.

Regards, John McGraw
If you want to scrap DOD, use whatever pan you like. The only difference with the DOD pans on L76's is an extra oil pressure regulator, in the pan. (that makes 3 with the one in the pump, the filter bypass and the DOD reg.)

You will need to check the oil pump on it if you want to use a pan without the regulator though. The DOD pump typically flows 30% more than a stock LS pump, and may give you excessive oil pressure unless you need the capacity.

If you want to remove the DOD hardware, you will need new lifter guides (4) for regular lifters, and either replace the DOD lifters (8) with normal lifters, or replace the lot (16) with LS7 lifters.

You have a choice of replacing the valley cover with an LS2 unit, or plugging the oil holes in the block (etc) and use the DOD valley cover. Easier just to use an LS2 cover.

The DOD lifters are heavier than regular lifters, and they do have a DOD operating limit of about 0.550" when the DOD plunger runs out of travel and will leave the valves open in DOD active mode.

But that is with DOD operating. There are aftermarket cams running with DOD lifters, but IMHO it is safer & simpler just to use a full set of normal lifters and not have to worry about how they are dancing differently to the stock items.

Hope that helps ya bud.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Livernois DOD delete kit now available!!!
This kit will include the following:

Livernois Motorsports Stage 1 L92 Camshaft
GMPP LS7 Lifters
GMPP Balancer Bolt
GMPP LS2 Valley Cover
GMPP Valve Cover Breather Block-Off
GMPP LS7 Camshaft Sprocket
GMPP Timing Chain Dampner
GMPP PCV hose for non-DOD applications
GMPP LS2 Lifter guide kit
GMPP MLS Header Gaskets
ARP Timing Chain Bolts
ARP Head Bolts
MLS Head Gaskets
Livernois Motorsports Exclusive Dual valve springs good to .690" lift
Livernois Titanium Retainers
Livernois Motorsports Super 7 locks
Livernois Spring Cups
Livernois High-temp Viton Valve Seals
Trend Performance .080 Chrome Moly Pushrods

This package includes everything you should need to delete the DOD system on your G8 and pick up a good amount of power as well

$1239.00 <---- (price as at June 2008)

Sponsor over there ---->
Old 04-14-2010, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question dod knock?

Ive been having start issues with my l76 240sx. The guy who tuned my ecm wasnt able to get the dod to work? I can start it with a little starter fluid and it was just throw codes and run like crap. after i put the mufflers on i hear a knock/tick and im wondering if it could be the AFM lifters not working properly or floating. should i replace the ecm and harness with say mast motorsports or FAST? or get rid of the DOD lifters?
Old 04-15-2010, 03:11 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by klablacka
Ive been having start issues with my l76 240sx. The guy who tuned my ecm wasnt able to get the dod to work? I can start it with a little starter fluid and it was just throw codes and run like crap. after i put the mufflers on i hear a knock/tick and im wondering if it could be the AFM lifters not working properly or floating. should i replace the ecm and harness with say mast motorsports or FAST? or get rid of the DOD lifters?
The DOD wont work without a vacumn sensor for the brake booster. Do you have that?

Is it a stock L76? Like cam or not? AFM lifters are normally in locked position unless AFM/DOD is operating and engaged so should not operate any differently to a regular lifter.

A correct ECM with the right tune in it should just start and run on a stock engine. What does your tuner guy say?
Old 04-17-2010, 11:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by fafnir
can you elaborate on how the vacuum sensor should be included into a harness?

also, what other DoD specific sensors would be needed to run a bone stock L76?

e.g. speartech or painless LS2 58x harness meant for an LS2/3/etc, would not having the vacuum sensor integrated into the harness cause the engine to not run or something? or simply cause it to run as if it never had DoD?

thanks for the time
Only sensor I know of that is DOD specific is the brake booster vac sensor. It integrates via the body connector on the ECM.

Vac sensor is used to qualify braking vacumn level available for braking. If its too low on vacumn DOD will drop out or not enable.

A DOD tune will run without the sensor but no DOD.

You can search on forum.efilive.com there are a couple or threads that go into depth on transplants into earlier trucks that have got AFM working. More detail there.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

New Era Peformance also has DOD delate kits, And there non DOD cam and valvetrain kits.
They also have some great cams, that make big power with keeping the DOD, and even VVT cams

Quick Reply: Disable DOD