Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Napa Rotors + Different Front/Rear Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 04:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Napa Rotors + Different Front/Rear Rotors

I bought Hawk HPS pads and Brembo blank Front rotors, but the place I bought it from was out of Rears.

Rears were like $130ish a piece from another store online. So...I was wondering:
1) Anything wrong with using different brand rotors for rear set versus the front set?
2) Any thoughts on using Napa rotors for the rear? I might be able to get a discount on the Napa Ultra Premium Rotors
http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...+50012+2012008
Old 03-31-2010, 05:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think it'll make a difference at all. Napas should be fine.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

The most important thing about rear rotor replacements is to ensure that they're not designed to be "lighter" and "cheaper" by using less mass as well as ensuring they don't have excessive runout.

Whilst I haven't used Napa Ultra Premium rotors myself, I've used Centric brand replacement rears and have not one single problem with excess runout, nor over heating. They also had a good amount of hi-temp paint around the "non-friction" areas to prevent excess corrosion.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

i have powerslot front rotors for the street, and brembo blanks for the track, and keep stock original GM rear rotors for everything. no problems
Old 04-17-2010, 02:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

So...when I said I bought Brembo front blank rotors, I meant that I "ordered" them. I still haven't gotten them (though I did end up buying the Napa rears). I called the company to find out that they've only got 1 Brembo front rotor and when they called Brembo to restock, Brembo was out of them AND DISCONTINUING THEM!

Is that true? Can anyone confirm? I mean, obviously, I know there're places out there that still have stock, but are Brembo Blanks for the LS1 Fbody a thing of the past?

Question 2: I have the option of cancelling my order for another set of fronts. I see everyone mostly suggesting Brembo blanks, but what's the next best thing? I don't track the car or anything, it's more of a daily driver but I have fun with it when I can (Chicago...summers only) so I'm more looking for longevity.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:13 PM
Teching In

As an employee of NAPA, I can assure you buying even our premium rotors, you won't be disappointed. If you take a everwear ( advance auto) or some other rotors, you'll notice the veins in the center are larger, the reason from those companies is to move more air and keep them cooler. this may be true, but it has a negative effect, the thickness of the surface area is thinner, and with continued cycles, they will warp, hot rotors hit cold water? expect to feel some vibration. Our rotors are thicker, which means they are stronger, less prone to warpage or vibration, and can take a beating with the cycles. being here an entire year, I have yet to see a set of our pads or rotors come back defective. When I was at Advance for two years, I cannot tell you the amount of times we swapped defective pads and rotors. they are cheaper, but you get what you pay for. Alot fo dealerships deal with us, sometimes we even exceed to OEM, and they prefer to use that particular part over OEM.

The ultra premiums have a special "scatter" vein system, while still retaining the strength of the premuim rotors. I don't recommend the high performance ones we sell, no need on a street car.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blacdout96
As an employee of NAPA, I can assure you buying even our premium rotors, you won't be disappointed. If you take a everwear ( advance auto) or some other rotors, you'll notice the veins in the center are larger, the reason from those companies is to move more air and keep them cooler. this may be true, but it has a negative effect, the thickness of the surface area is thinner, and with continued cycles, they will warp, hot rotors hit cold water? expect to feel some vibration. Our rotors are thicker, which means they are stronger, less prone to warpage or vibration, and can take a beating with the cycles. being here an entire year, I have yet to see a set of our pads or rotors come back defective. When I was at Advance for two years, I cannot tell you the amount of times we swapped defective pads and rotors. they are cheaper, but you get what you pay for. Alot fo dealerships deal with us, sometimes we even exceed to OEM, and they prefer to use that particular part over OEM.

The ultra premiums have a special "scatter" vein system, while still retaining the strength of the premuim rotors. I don't recommend the high performance ones we sell, no need on a street car.
The Advance brand rotors are called "Wearever", and yes, they are made-in-china JUNK. They are not OEM spec, and are made from inferior, cheap *** chinese metal that rusts almost instantly. They are fine for a Geo Metro, but not for any performance car or heavy truck.

I've never used any Napa rotors, but I've heard positive things about them.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running Napa fronts and Duralast rears (availability issues) and no problems yet
Old 04-19-2010, 09:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hm. ok...for the sake of just getting my brakes replaced sooner (and cheaper), I think I'll just go for Napa fronts too..

Just a side question though, are Brembos really worth the 2x in price of Napa? Sorta feels like you're just payin for a brand name.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cyberkill
...Just a side question though, are Brembos really worth the 2x in price of Napa? Sorta feels like you're just payin for a brand name.
Maybe around 5 to 6 years ago, but not now IMHO.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cyberkill
Hm. ok...for the sake of just getting my brakes replaced sooner (and cheaper), I think I'll just go for Napa fronts too..

Just a side question though, are Brembos really worth the 2x in price of Napa? Sorta feels like you're just payin for a brand name.
Its all in the casting/metalurgy. Brembos are cast in a top notch foundry with the best materials and procedures. As for Napa, as I said, I haven't heard any complaints, but they are still not the same quality as Brembo rotors.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I"m sure there's quality differences, but my Brembos came to me with a plastic film that COULD NOT be removed with brake cleaner, any sort of degreaser, steel wool, etc. I didn't want to get plastic melted on my brake pads, and sent them back. Plus, made in Brazil, and I'm assuming most of Brembo's top notch stuff is made in Italy?
Old 04-20-2010, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just to let ya know...a lot of GM dealers use ACDELCO rotors and pads. There are different levels of rotors...DURASTOP and ADVANTAGE are the less expensive AC-DELCO rotors and they are MADE IN CHINA!
Old 03-17-2014, 04:52 PM

Angry OEM Rotors Made in China Too!

Originally Posted by 99monguse
Just to let ya know...a lot of GM dealers use ACDELCO rotors and pads. There are different levels of rotors...DURASTOP and ADVANTAGE are the less expensive AC-DELCO rotors and they are MADE IN CHINA!
Hate to rain on your parade, but the AC Delco OE rotors are also made in China. Just picked mine up from the dealer (part no 177-0980) and it's stamped "MADE IN CHINA" I guess we Americans have lost the economic war and are now #2. Who's fault? Not Congress or the President, but big business for profits and to pad the fat-cat CEO's pockets. And in a free market society such as ours, there's not a thing the President or Congress can do about it.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:13 PM
Staging Lane

Dude...this thread is from 2010...

Quick Reply: Napa Rotors + Different Front/Rear Rotors