Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

typhoon 85mm vs fast 90/90?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 09:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default typhoon 85mm vs fast 90/90?

what advantage will i have with a fast 90 over a typhoon 85mm beside saving 20lbs off the front of the car? i currently have a typhoon 85 intake and am about to install a fast 90/90 setup, just wondering if it was worth the money ..has anyone ran into the same thing?
Old 04-23-2010, 09:35 AM
Staging Lane

off subject, will your typhoon intake be for sale after the swap?
Old 04-23-2010, 12:36 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scites
what advantage will i have with a fast 90 over a typhoon 85mm beside saving 20lbs off the front of the car? i currently have a typhoon 85 intake and am about to install a fast 90/90 setup, just wondering if it was worth the money ..has anyone ran into the same thing?
In as cast form, the fast90 is definately worth the swap. The PP intake will not come closer to it that an LS6 intake will.

HOWEVER, I just spent a full day inside a 85mm typhoon intake. I have no doubts in my mind that NOW it will keep pace with a fast90 (out of the box, not ported).

BUT, the trumpet radii were too tight, and had to be lowered a bit and widened. There was a big step right under the trumpet above the short side turn that had to be blended. The sides of the trumpet entrance have a 1/8th lip that needed to be blended to the wall of the adjacent runner. The welding beads needed to be smoothed out. I also felt that the short turn floor would benefit from a better blend to the side walls of the runner. Also the exits of the intake runners do not line up perfectly, and I have gotten measurements varying from 1.020 to 1.115 on the same intake. The entrance to the cylinder head intake runner is usually right at 1.025. That means there will be a lip created from the head runner actually sticking out into the airflow from the intake. That is not good. The gasket also does not line up perfectly to the runners. There was a lot of core shift when these were cast. This intake needs to be port matched.

DESPITE all these shortcomings, it either sat with or slightly exceeded a stock LS6 intake. Why? Because on the bright side, the runners themselves have a great taper and are very straight. It's just the entrance and the exit that need a little work, and I feel this intake can really shine. I would love to see one of the 92mm typhoons with those areas fixed and extrude honed. I think it would out flow a ported fast90.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:39 PM
Staging Lane

so paint it black for example i have a typhoon 96mm.. with a 90tb.. if i took my sweet time and grinded out some bad spots inside of it and managed to line up the runners it would flow a extensal amount better?
Old 04-23-2010, 02:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by killaxtranz
so paint it black for example i have a typhoon 96mm.. with a 90tb.. if i took my sweet time and grinded out some bad spots inside of it and managed to line up the runners it would flow a extensal amount better?
I haven't flowed the intake since my work. For a true comparison, I would have to have flowed it attached to a head, then work on it, then put it back on the same head and flow the same port. I didn't do that. So I can't say you will gain XX cfm. The biggest gains I think are going to be from a port match. More than likely the entrance to the head runner will have to be opened to match the intake exit. Then that would have to be blended into the the rest of the intake port. Not too big of a deal. But the head port sticking out into the air path is "horsepower suicide" as Darin Morgan put it. Extrude honing is expensive and should also yield good results. I am not having that done to this intake. That would be for someone who wanted the strength of an alum intake for something like a direct port set up or forced induction, but also needed it to flow as much as possible. You would be over the cost of a fast90 at that point (but less than a sheet metal). The trumpet work will help as well. It just seemed like there was so much there to cause turbulence right at the entrance of the runner.

The simple fixes I listed, anyone who can handle a grinder should be able to do it and see some benefits. Open it up, you'll see what I'm talking about. The only hard part to get was widening and blending the short turn entrance floor to the wall. The angle is funny and the carbide wanted to bind and kicked around here and there. Just be careful if you try that. You will see it.

Last edited by Paint_It_Black; 04-23-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:25 PM
10 Second Club

I use to have a 85mm PP Typhoon on my car. I switched to a Fast 92mm and gained 36hp and 25tq at the wheels. Mind you this is the Fast 92 not the 90. Seeing both the Fast 90 and the 92 apart, there isnt that much of a difference other than the tb opening. The power I gained dropped my et's by 4 tenths and gained 4 mph.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

the only difference between all the fast intakes is the TB opening..
Old 04-24-2010, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by scites
the only difference between all the fast intakes is the TB opening..
I believe you are correct for the 78, 90, and 92 mm versions but the Fast 102 is different actually a 10 piece design if im not mistaken
Old 04-24-2010, 01:18 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Peetyz
I believe you are correct for the 78, 90, and 92 mm versions but the Fast 102 is different actually a 10 piece design if im not mistaken
The FAST 102 is a completely different design....runner shape and overall construction has been improved. Its a much better designed piece both structurally and functionally but unfortunately still needs quite a bit of porting work in the runners to get the most from it. Alot of that addresses tooling issues and mold release issues that's simply hard to eliminate in any production plastic intake, especially something as complicated as the LS piece tends to be.

To confirm, the FAST 78, 90, and 92 were all identical.....a J2 version of the 92 (released about 1.5 - 2 years ago) slightly changed only two of the runner designs (for the worse IMO) but cleaned up it didn't have much of an impact on flow and produced power results similar to an original ported 90 or 92 mm version. The 102 is completely different and has removable one piece runners that are sealed with an O-ring at the base. Its a neat design IMO and better looking and better constructed than the former FAST intakes.

Properly ported, a new 102 (or even an older 90/92) should easily outperform the typhoon. One of my customer picked up like three tenths and four MPH trap speeds swapping a ported 92 on his hot rod LS equipped truck....those types of results indicate a retarded gain in power.....maybe his was a fluke of some kind but thats exactly what he saw after the swap in similar weather conditions and altitude he usually races in.

-Tony