General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

rattle noise when accelerating, what can it be?

Old 04-24-2010, 10:13 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rattle noise when accelerating, what can it be?

I have this like rattle sound coming from the front of the car, it sounds like when you shake a can of paint. It does it only when i hit on the gas kind of hard, but goes away after 2 seconds, what can it be?

Thanks!
Old 04-24-2010, 10:36 AM
Launching!

Sounds like detonation (engine knock), if so this is very bad.

What fuel octane level are you using?

It seems the engine control unit is receiving signal from the knock sensors and it is pulling out timing to reduce the detonation thats why you only hear it for a few seconds and then it goes away.

detonation will cause catastrophic engine damage!
Old 04-24-2010, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

whats the fix and could it be lifters chattering sorry dont mean to hijack but i have heard same thing but when my car is cold the lifters or something rattles like crazy ??
Old 04-24-2010, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

no i'm sure it's just something loose under your dash. i had the same problem a few years ago, rattled right at about 2200 rpms or so. i think it lasted for about 2 years then disappeared. it's back now but much fainter. i wouldn't worry about it. if you are concerned it's your engine, open the hood and rev the gas from in front of the engine (the throttle cable), and see if you hear the rattle under the hood. chances are you won't. i mean it could still be the engine and only happen under load, but i think you could check it while in neutral and just see if anything is out of the ordinary. but i'm pretty sure it's just something rattling under the dash. these cars make a lot of noise.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:10 AM
Launching!

I hope is not detonation, i always put 93 octane on the car, except this one time this dumb guy at the gas station put regular gas instead of premium. Could this have been enough to cause detonation?
Old 04-24-2010, 11:20 AM
Launching!

Whe i rev the engine from the throttle cable, it dosent make the noise! My dash is kind of loose from one side, but if the noise was caused by something inside the dash, would't it make it all the time!
Old 04-24-2010, 10:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Could be your catalytic converter, those have a tendency of rattling when the metal screen inside them becomes dislodged. My beater truck does the same thing, but it's a beater, and I don't care. This is of course assuming that you still have your cats.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:27 PM
Launching!

I am starting to have a few of these issues too...Does your car have the noise/vibration badly when it is cold started? That could be the piston slap..
Old 04-26-2010, 06:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by munecorey
I have this like rattle sound coming from the front of the car, it sounds like when you shake a can of paint. It does it only when i hit on the gas kind of hard, but goes away after 2 seconds, what can it be?

Thanks!
I am getting a similar noise from my car too. The rattle can noise comes on for me when im leaving a stop sign/red light, basically a dead stop but not every time.

Does it go away on your car if you let off the gas pedal?

I didn't notice the RPMs but for me it happens somewhere between 20mph to 30mph.

I also get the vibration very few times on a cold starts, sometimes it happens even if the engine is at operating temp and i just restarted the car after turning it off for 5 minutes.

Originally Posted by blindxeyed
Could be your catalytic converter, those have a tendency of rattling when the metal screen inside them becomes dislodged. My beater truck does the same thing, but it's a beater, and I don't care. This is of course assuming that you still have your cats.
This may be a valid point.

SES light came on for me after a weeks of this vibration and rattle can noise, it was for "lean bank" and i replaced one of the 02 sensors.
The noise didn't come on for 3 days after changing the sensor, but it comes on here and there.

It could be that the other 02 sensor is going bad, in my case or like blindxeyed said the CAT itself is on way out.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

My guess is a loose heat shield laying on the manifold.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

I'm going with cats if you still have them. Had the same problem, replaced under warranty and noise gone.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:09 PM
Banned

Detonation IMHO. Destructive as all hell also. If you have any low octaine in it it will knock, but the sensors should catch it & pull timing before you can hear it, unless a tuner desensitized them or limited the amount pulled (not uncommon!). Way to test is to lug it in a higher gear...it will rattle any time you accel under a load.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how about exhaust manifold leak?
Old 05-24-2010, 11:06 AM
Teching In

I have been noticing a rattle in my engine also, I'm going to try putting the premium gas with a fuel treatment in because I have been cheap and running regular unleaded. Hopefully that works, if not I'll crawl up underneath the car and see if it's the heat shields or something else rattling around under there. Thanks for the info and kudos for asking the question!
Old 05-24-2010, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by munecorey
Whe i rev the engine from the throttle cable, it dosent make the noise! My dash is kind of loose from one side, but if the noise was caused by something inside the dash, would't it make it all the time!
Have you done any work on your car recently? When I swapped my intake I must not have put everything back exactly in the same spot so my throttle cable was vibrating against the metal plate above the brake booster. I tied them down and the noise went away, very similar sounding problem.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:35 AM
Launching!

mine makes noise after the shortstick install at WOT, the rubber bushing on the stock shifter is gone and now it vibrates
Old 09-11-2012, 02:18 PM
Teching In

Default Rattling Noise Resolution from your post in LS1Tech

Did anyone ever figure out what the problem is? I've got the same issues on my 2001 SS. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:52 AM

Default Rumbles when i press gas

I have a 2000 caviller I just bought only paid 450 it needed a full pump changed it and it cranked up now when I push in the gas to drive it rumbles while I'm in the gas but stops when I let off runs good tho never stalls it sounds like its coming from under the hood on passenger side any ideas would be helpful
Old 05-12-2018, 08:01 AM

Default Same problem and fixed the issue

Originally Posted by theskitztikwon
whats the fix and could it be lifters chattering sorry dont mean to hijack but i have heard same thing but when my car is cold the lifters or something rattles like crazy ??
so I currently have a 2014 1SS and I purchased it around 6 months ago, and I remember I was in a emergency situation(gas wise) so I had no choice to put in “Regular”(87) in other words I think? But anyways the first time I put in that type of gas I noticed right off the bat when pulling out of the gas station that my engine was making a very descents rattling noise. And u described it perfectly, it sounded like when you shake up a spray paint bottle, but it wasn’t like super loud or obnoxious by all means but 100% noticeable and only when u accelerated. Oh another thing the rattling noise was coming from, where I can tell was on the mid to lower passenger or right side of the engine. And def noticed over time of owning my camaro that it would never make that sound when putting in “premium” gas(93) and again everytime I put in 87/regular gas, which was maybe 5 times max And most of the times was just to make sure that that was the reason main and only reason why it made that weird *** noise.. and whenever you hear something odd especially coming from the engine your gonna b worried.. and the fact that my baby is fairly new, put me in a mild panic attack also heavy anxiety cause I probably called every body shop in my town and spent all night researching and no one knew.. I also had to baby the **** out of whenever I drove her cause I was paranoid like **** thinking my engine was gonna blow.. and trust me a 6.2L muscle car does not want to be babied.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Dan Choi

so I currently have a 2014 1SS and I purchased it around 6 months ago, and I remember I was in a emergency situation(gas wise) so I had no choice to put in “Regular”(87) in other words I think? But anyways the first time I put in that type of gas I noticed right off the bat when pulling out of the gas station that my engine was making a very descents rattling noise. And u described it perfectly, it sounded like when you shake up a spray paint bottle, but it wasn’t like super loud or obnoxious by all means but 100% noticeable and only when u accelerated. Oh another thing the rattling noise was coming from, where I can tell was on the mid to lower passenger or right side of the engine. And def noticed over time of owning my camaro that it would never make that sound when putting in “premium” gas(93) and again everytime I put in 87/regular gas, which was maybe 5 times max And most of the times was just to make sure that that was the reason main and only reason why it made that weird *** noise.. and whenever you hear something odd especially coming from the engine your gonna b worried.. and the fact that my baby is fairly new, put me in a mild panic attack also heavy anxiety cause I probably called every body shop in my town and spent all night researching and no one knew.. I also had to baby the **** out of whenever I drove her cause I was paranoid like **** thinking my engine was gonna blow.. and trust me a 6.2L muscle car does not want to be babied.
Oh and another thing. I heard from other SS owners that if the engine oil is getting low it’ll also make that rattling noise.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rattle noise when accelerating, what can it be?