Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Oil supply for turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil supply for turbo

I'm putting 6.0L truck engine in 89 Camaro with a single turbo. When I got my engine the original oil pan had cooler lines coming from it that got damaged.

I'm currently using a CTSV pan but the place above oil filter doesn't have that block off plate that I see so many people using. Where can I purchase one? Also is that best place for oil supply? I figured this would be a very simple thing to find but no such luck. I found this on ebay but not sure if it will work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LS1-L...item20b0b1a7bb
Old 05-03-2010, 04:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rockoosi1
I'm putting 6.0L truck engine in 89 Camaro with a single turbo. When I got my engine the original oil pan had cooler lines coming from it that got damaged.

I'm currently using a CTSV pan but the place above oil filter doesn't have that block off plate that I see so many people using. Where can I purchase one? Also is that best place for oil supply? I figured this would be a very simple thing to find but no such luck. I found this on ebay but not sure if it will work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LS1-L...item20b0b1a7bb
You can get a block off plate from any LSx pan that does not have an oil cooler. You can have that plate drilled and taped to screw in an oil feed line to supply your turbo with filtered oil. All this is in the https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...turbo-faq.html sticky.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am using the truck block. filtered side for turbo feed . unfiltered for oil pressure sender. just tapped 1/4 npt. i have yet to pressure test it yet.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by robbyredneck
i am using the truck block. filtered side for turbo feed . unfiltered for oil pressure sender. just tapped 1/4 npt. i have yet to pressure test it yet.
Well, I stopped by my local chevy dealer and found one for a 2002 camaro for $21.00.

I'm a little confused by your satement however. What do you mean when you say filtered side versus unfiltered side? The part that I purchased just seems to loop one port on the pan to the other. I can see tapping it with no problem but there isn't a way seperate the two ports on the pan with the part that purchased. Please explain or can you post a picture of the part that you are using? Thanks!
Old 05-04-2010, 09:07 AM
TECH Regular

from the way the gm oil flow diagram reads it looks like the port on the left comes from the oil pump. i stuck a zip tie up from the filter perimeter side and saw it through the left hole. the right side looks as though it is fed from the center portion of the filter aka the outlet. now i know that means there would be a bypass of the filter and only creates a pressure differential for the cooler. thats the way it looks. maybe somebody with some concrete knowledge will chime in.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by robbyredneck
from the way the gm oil flow diagram reads it looks like the port on the left comes from the oil pump. i stuck a zip tie up from the filter perimeter side and saw it through the left hole. the right side looks as though it is fed from the center portion of the filter aka the outlet. now i know that means there would be a bypass of the filter and only creates a pressure differential for the cooler. thats the way it looks. maybe somebody with some concrete knowledge will chime in.
You must plan on using the style block that comes with an oil cooler correct? When I took my original one off the block it is split so that makes sense to me.

The style that completely blocks both ports off, like the one I got for a Camaro, loops one port to the other. If it is tapped then there would no way to distinguish filtered versus unfiltered.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:17 PM
TECH Regular

thats how it appears

Quick Reply: Oil supply for turbo