CDL Required for Tandem/Dual Trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 09:55 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CDL Required for Tandem/Dual Trailer?

Ive been pulling gooseneck float trailers for years hauling hay/tractors that have tandem duals under them. According to my dad he went to look at some new trailers and the salesman said you have to have a CDL to pull a trailer like that. This is the first Ive heard of it and never seen/heard of anyone pulled over because of that. Its not that big of a deal to me except we're starting up a little side business where Ill be hauling a cat 416d backhoe fairly often and since it weighs 19K with the rock hammer it will have to go on our big trailer. I know txdot leaves the "farmers" alone for the most part but since Ill be hauling construction machinery I could see them messing with me more. I did a quick google search but couldnt find anything about it. Id really rather not get nailed for no CDL, I dont mind getting my CDL if I need to but if I dont have to then I dont want to of course.

Interesting enough, in my google search it came up with this thread but no one responded
https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-mem...x-dot-cdl.html
Old 05-20-2010, 10:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

I believe if the weight of the vehicle being towed is more than 10k lbs, then you must have a CDL.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

CDL class B lic is required for anything with air brakes and weighs over 26000lbs (GVW), CDL class A is required for anything over 26001lbs and hauling anything that weighs more than 10000lbs.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1^^^^

I have searched and searched for a "real" answer on this. the above is the closest I have got to it. My trailer GVW at 18,000 and I dont' have a cdl. BUT Tx says if it is used as a RV you don't need one. It's not registered as a RV, but I DO use it as one. Basically a personal vehicle that doesn't make any money or farm vehicle you don't need one. I also heard that it depends on the cop that pulls you over and harasses you.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/CDLhandbook.pdf

Section 1 page 1 ...

You must have a CDL to operate:

A single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating GVWR of more than 26,000 pounds.

A trailer with a GVWR of more than 10,000 pounds if the gross combination weight rating is more than 26,000 pounds.

A vehicle designed to transport more than 15 persons including the driver.

Any size vehicle which requires hazardous materials placards
So ...

A single vehicle with a GVWR of 26K requires a CDL. Something like a bobtail truck ...

A vehicle PULLING a trailer with a GVWR of 10K+ AND a truck with a GVWR that EXCEEDS 26K GVWR total requires a CDL. So a 20K gooseneck being pulled by a 1 ton Dodge dually rated at 10K GVWR would require a CDL because combined it exceeds 26K GVWR AND if the reason for pulling was comercial.

A bus for 15 or more requires a CDL. Church bus is exempt, I believe.

Any vehicle carrying hazardous material requires a CDL regardless of GVWR.

And the actual weight being pulled at the time doesn't factor into the need for a CDL, rather the GVWR limits of the rig.

Thats the way I read it ...
Old 05-20-2010, 02:23 PM
TECH Resident

Page 6 #4-A recreational vehicle that is driven for personal use.

It doesn't say it HAS to be registered as a RV. I consider my truck and trailer a recreational vehicle used for personal use. And my trailer dealer "said" I didn't need a cdl. So far, knock on wood, I have not had ANY problems "yet".
Old 05-20-2010, 02:30 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Looks like I need to start studying for my CDL test
Old 05-20-2010, 10:15 PM
Staging Lane

i own a const bussiness and yes you need a class b cdl.cause the trailer you are towing is over 10klbs.and if you are a bussiness you will need a txdot number as well on your truck or you are going to get nailed i have been there and done that.i can write a book about dot the are ****** they will pull you over and write you up for nonsense.just got pulled over with 32ft trailer with some equipment on it cause it wasnt spaced far enuff apart.lol
Old 05-20-2010, 10:27 PM
TECH Regular

Use this site:

http://www.testanswers.com/

Go through it, and study it. The questions posted are pretty much all the ones on the tests. I studied this and past ALL the tests needed for Class A in one sitting (besides airbrakes since I don't need it).
Old 05-21-2010, 08:36 AM
11 Second Club

Church busses are not exempt by the way, but the test isn't that hard.

Powerhouse you wouldn't happen to drive an emergency vehicle, would you?
Old 06-15-2010, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by TXMaro
I believe if the weight of the vehicle being towed is more than 10k lbs, then you must have a CDL.
That would be the case only if the whole combination is over 26k.

Originally Posted by Red Devil 99'
CDL class B lic is required for anything with air brakes and weighs over 26000lbs (GVW), CDL class A is required for anything over 26001lbs and hauling anything that weighs more than 10000lbs.
It would not matter if it has air brakes or not.

Originally Posted by 08-4door
i own a const bussiness and yes you need a class b cdl.cause the trailer you are towing is over 10klbs.and if you are a bussiness you will need a txdot number as well on your truck or you are going to get nailed i have been there and done that.i can write a book about dot the are ****** they will pull you over and write you up for nonsense.just got pulled over with 32ft trailer with some equipment on it cause it wasnt spaced far enuff apart.lol
You can't tow a trailer over 10k witha "B", he would need a Class A.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:30 PM
Launching!

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/

this is a website they gave us in apprentice school. a lot of stuff has changed in the last few years, so a lot of times when ya have a question you get 8 different answers depending on who ya talk to. definately take it serious and go about everything the right way like your doing. DOT officers are ********. they dont need a reason to pull you over. they can stop you anytime and anywhere, and even make you follow them to a scale.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Vern2
That would be the case only if the whole combination is over 26k.

It would not matter if it has air brakes or not.

You can't tow a trailer over 10k witha "B", he would need a Class A.
you can tow a trailer over 10k,but you can't have airbrakes.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:35 PM

you can tow a trailer over 10k,
If you are pulling a trailer over 10k and the combo is over 26k it would require a class A. The only way you can tow over 10k with a "B" is if the combination doesn't need a CDL.

but you can't have airbrakes.
Air brakes have no bearing on wether or not you need a CDL nor do they dictate what class of CDL you need.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Vern2
If you are pulling a trailer over 10k and the combo is over 26k it would require a class A. The only way you can tow over 10k with a "B" is if the combination doesn't need a CDL.

Air brakes have no bearing on wether or not you need a CDL nor do they dictate what class of CDL you need.
ok then why did i get ticket before with my 3/4ton truck and trailer that was reg over 10k..that was for no cdl.then we have a 25950lbs truck thta has airbrakes and got a ticket for no air brakes or cdl,it wasn't pulling nothing.what i am trying to say is it is realy up to the officer what he wants to do.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:36 PM
Launching!

air brakes is an endorsement. just like tanker, hasmat, etc. if you drive a vehicle equipped w/ air brakes, you have to have an air brake endorsement. has nothing to do with weight.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:42 PM
Staging Lane

that is true but here in texas they stress the cdl alot.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:09 PM

ok then why did i get ticket before with my 3/4ton truck and trailer that was reg over 10k..that was for no cdl.then we have a 25950lbs truck thta has airbrakes and got a ticket for no air brakes or cdl,it wasn't pulling nothing.what i am trying to say is it is realy up to the officer what he wants to do.
Uneducated cops. It is not up to the cops to right tickets for whatever they want. It is up to the individual to know and understand the law.

What was the GVWR of the trailer?

Originally Posted by ls6firebird
air brakes is an endorsement. just like tanker, hasmat, etc. if you drive a vehicle equipped w/ air brakes, you have to have an air brake endorsement. has nothing to do with weight.
Not exacty, air brakes is a restriction. That is why air brakes don't require a CDL.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by vern2
uneducated cops. It is not up to the cops to right tickets for whatever they want. It is up to the individual to know and understand the law.

What was the gvwr of the trailer?

Not exacty, air brakes is a restriction. That is why air brakes don't require a cdl.
well it was empty i was taking it for repairs.but reg weight is 21k...i found this out when u act like you know more than them they get pissed and write even more tickets..educated or not they still do what they want,they take your time up along side the hwy and then want u to go to court and miss work for your court date to get moved and then miss work again,so i look at it as time is money....
Old 06-15-2010, 06:34 PM

well it was empty i was taking it for repairs.but reg weight is 21k...i found this out when u act like you know more than them they get pissed and write even more tickets..educated or not they still do what they want,they take your time up along side the hwy and then want u to go to court and miss work for your court date to get moved and then miss work again,so i look at it as time is money....
I asked what your GVWR was. But since your you reggy it for 21k I will assume the GVWR is similar. If your GVWR of the trailer was 20k and the 3/4 ton is 8800# that would mean the GCWR is 28,800(over 26k), requiring a class A CDL.

You can respectfully disagree with a cop. They usually appreciate someone who has done their homework and has an understanding of what is going on.

Quick Reply: CDL Required for Tandem/Dual Trailer?