LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

whats the best automatic transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats the best automatic transmission fluid?

i just came back from kragen they only have 2 kind of dextron transmission fluids, they are both $1.99.
whats the best Automactic fluid and where can i find it?
Old 06-22-2010, 05:01 PM
Staging Lane

No offense guy, but this is kinda like asking what's the best color of car. You will get 50 different answers, with 50 different explanations of why theirs is best. Not to mention, each person will have their favorite place to buy it.

Me personally, I like to use Royal Purple synthetic tyranny fluid. Why....I don't really have a scientific answer. It is just what I have always used and never had a problem with it.

YMMV.......
Old 06-22-2010, 05:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

anything will work, all personal preference...

I do remember an article where they took an fbody and dyno'd it with new conventional fluids, and then swapped out for all synthetic fluids (motor, tranny, and rear) and they gained like 9 or 10 whp on the dyno from a fluid swap alone.

I run nothing but synthetic fluids in my car, so that's what I'd chose but you can do whatever you want.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Few reputable 4L60E builders like most synthetics, with Amsoil being about the only common exception to that rule

Personally I run whatever is cheap and available when I need it, my 6.5yo tranny has seen a lot of Walmart brand fluid and according the some tranny builders is done all wrong with lots of stock parts and a vacuum modulator.

My tranny is sporting stock servos some stock clutches some simply "high energy" stock width band, stock sunshell, stock planetaries, just well assembled and it lasts wonderfully on cheap fluid. Been handling over 2 tons in the 11s for like 4 years now.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm gonna run the tractor stuff in my th400, probably don't want that in your 4l60e though. put dextron IV in it.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Dexron 4 you say?????????????????????????????
Old 06-22-2010, 07:35 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Dexron 4 you say?????????????????????????????
dyslexia ftw... VI
Old 06-23-2010, 12:48 AM
TECH Junkie

my tranny builder reccomended Dexron III
Old 06-23-2010, 01:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i've been using Coastal dexron-VI seems to work good and its cheap.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
i'm gonna run the tractor stuff in my th400, probably don't want that in your 4l60e though. put dextron IV in it.
john deere hy gaurd low vis with a lil redline racing fluid is what i use..
Old 06-23-2010, 07:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
anything will work, all personal preference...

I do remember an article where they took an fbody and dyno'd it with new conventional fluids, and then swapped out for all synthetic fluids (motor, tranny, and rear) and they gained like 9 or 10 whp on the dyno from a fluid swap alone.

I run nothing but synthetic fluids in my car, so that's what I'd chose but you can do whatever you want.
One tranny builder who builds high performance transmissions will not warranty a tranny with Royal Purple, I asked him why, he just said it was crap?? As far as gaining HP with all synthetics, this is like mods on a car, some will gain X and others none, Actually Hot Rod TV did a skit on just that. They took an F-body, Did a base line, then changed "ALL" fluids to Red Line Synthetics, Motor, Tranny, Rear, Power Steering and gained 0, they turned around and said, well it gives you more protection to high temps, So ????
Old 06-23-2010, 08:13 AM
TECH Addict

Just use the stuff they sell at the autoparts store. Dex 3. I use the coastal stuff. it works fine. Change it out every year and the trans will last a long time.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
One tranny builder who builds high performance transmissions will not warranty a tranny with Royal Purple, I asked him why, he just said it was crap?? As far as gaining HP with all synthetics, this is like mods on a car, some will gain X and others none, Actually Hot Rod TV did a skit on just that. They took an F-body, Did a base line, then changed "ALL" fluids to Red Line Synthetics, Motor, Tranny, Rear, Power Steering and gained 0, they turned around and said, well it gives you more protection to high temps, So ????
Just saying that royal purple (or anything for that matter) is "just crap" without a reason is BS to me unless they have a personaal experience with it/actual info to back it up. I dealt with this **** at walmart in the Tire and Lube Express when I worked there all the time...everyone's an oil expert

I'll never forget the guy that told me synthetics are just a waste of money, because they just have "more water added to them", and that walmart's supertech oil was just as good as Mobil1
Old 06-23-2010, 09:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
Just saying that royal purple (or anything for that matter) is "just crap" without a reason is BS to me unless they have a personaal experience with it/actual info to back it up. I dealt with this **** at walmart in the Tire and Lube Express when I worked there all the time...everyone's an oil expert

I'll never forget the guy that told me synthetics are just a waste of money, because they just have "more water added to them", and that walmart's supertech oil was just as good as Mobil1
I agree, this is why I asked him what was wrong with Royal Purple and what damaged it do? He just said if we used it, the warranty was voided...
Old 06-23-2010, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by stryker1320
No offense guy, but this is kinda like asking what's the best color of car. You will get 50 different answers, with 50 different explanations of why theirs is best. Not to mention, each person will have their favorite place to buy it.
i agree. i personally like castrol products. i hear lucus products are pretty good never tried any of them though. Just a lot of the guys at the track push it.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
Just use the stuff they sell at the autoparts store. Dex 3. I use the coastal stuff. it works fine. Change it out every year and the trans will last a long time.
Good advice!
Old 06-23-2010, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

before fluids can be sold in the U.S. there is a minimum standard they have to meet to be sold..

and as far as the cheaper fluids go, go to wal-mart or where ever and read some of the cheaper brand bottles, you'll be suprised who makes it.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
I use the Coastal stuff as well and never had a problem.. I use it in all vehicles and many shops use it as well. I also have used the Castrol transmission fluid and its good as well. I use the Castrol products for motor oil in all vehicles I do work for and never had a problem.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by brucer
before fluids can be sold in the U.S. there is a minimum standard they have to meet to be sold..

and as far as the cheaper fluids go, go to wal-mart or where ever and read some of the cheaper brand bottles, you'll be suprised who makes it.
^^^true that. This is the same with gas also...
Old 06-23-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by brucer

I understand what you mean about the manufacturer, but that logic is kind of like saying "Chevy makes the Corvette, so that means a Cavalier should be just as good, right?"

Quick Reply: whats the best automatic transmission fluid?