Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Monte Carlo Steering Wheel Direct Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 09:00 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Monte Carlo Steering Wheel Direct Replacement?

I can get one of these in 100% perfect unused condition (expensive, but thats not an issue). It is a 1995-1999 black wheel with controls. I will want to either cover the airbag cover, or replace it with my own and dye it to match to keep the arrowhead instead of the bowtie.
So...

1. Is it a direct fit?
2. Can I use my airbag?
3. I have heard good things about the wheel. Does anyone have any experience with it?
4. How does it compare to the FBody leather/controls wheel?

Thanks.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the controls are the same, but if thats all you want its not worth the swap. you can get those buttons from a number of cars as you know, and internals are easy to source to match your color preference.

we both know the ta wheel is pretty ugly, but why do you like the monte wheel? (i dig the oddly thin wheel the ta has)
Old 07-30-2010, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by transsam
I can get one of these in 100% perfect unused condition (expensive, but thats not an issue). It is a 1995-1999 black wheel with controls. I will want to either cover the airbag cover, or replace it with my own and dye it to match to keep the arrowhead instead of the bowtie.
So...

1. Is it a direct fit?
2. Can I use my airbag?
3. I have heard good things about the wheel. Does anyone have any experience with it?
4. How does it compare to the FBody leather/controls wheel?

Thanks.
1.) Yes, it's a direct fit. It's the same wheel, just black instead of charcoal like you have now.
2.) Yes, you can use your airbag. I have the steering wheel off a 2001 Camaro and an airbag off a 95-99 Monte Carlo.
3.) and 4.) It's the exact same wheel as you have now, just a different color.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:43 PM
9 Second Club

Ha. To be honest, I am still trying to finish up the conversion to black, Sean! I had heard that this wheel had a good fit. I have the damned controls coming out my ears and am still trying to pull off making custom buttons (okay, I think about it now and then and thats really it). I want to finish off the interior restoration with a wheel that is in perfect condition. They look almost identical, but this one is black and nice 'n' new.

Now its back to the drawing board. You can still get these factory fresh from what I understand, but for the price, getting it wrapped might be a good idea. ****, I have two wheels now!

Originally Posted by TechCam97
1.) Yes, it's a direct fit. It's the same wheel, just black instead of charcoal like you have now.
2.) Yes, you can use your airbag. I have the steering wheel off a 2001 Camaro and an airbag off a 95-99 Monte Carlo.
3.) and 4.) It's the exact same wheel as you have now, just a different color.
Thanks man. I had heard the diameter was slightly smaller and the rim thicker.

Last edited by transsam; 07-30-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by transsam
Thanks man. I had heard the diameter was slightly smaller and the rim thicker.
Hmmm, I've never really noticed a difference. I can tell you that the airbag will fit though, it's the same shape.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:32 PM
9 Second Club

I have been doing a little research on this and found a picture of the back. It has grooves for fingers, which is different from the Trans Am wheel.
Does anyone know how the compare in thickness of the rim and in diameter of the actual wheel?
I'll take a Monte Carlo for a test drive. I'll measure the wheel and rim and compare. It could take a few days, but I'll post what the results are on the measurements and my impressions.

Last edited by transsam; 07-31-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

95-99 Monte Carlo wheel is the exact same wheel used in the 2000-2002 Camaros . Only diff is Monte is straight black and Camaro is Ebony . The 95-02 Firebird/TA airbags bolt directly up to this wheel . Ive done it . At the time is was fittement thing for a project so I didnt take pics . But the TA bag bolted right up . The diffs in the rim from the TA , is the Monte/Camaro rim is quite a bit thicker and has the finger relief indents all around the backside . The diameter is the same . If u want the stock look , you will love this wheel over the teeny diameter of the firebird rim . Then just dye your stock pontiac bag black and swap out the blue rubber bulb caps in the monte controls with red bulb caps in your pontiac controls and your all set . The leather on the rim is the same grade as the leather on the 00-02 Camaro wheel .
Old 08-01-2010, 12:45 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by LT4vert
95-99 Monte Carlo wheel is the exact same wheel used in the 2000-2002 Camaros . Only diff is Monte is straight black and Camaro is Ebony . The 95-02 Firebird/TA airbags bolt directly up to this wheel . Ive done it . At the time is was fittement thing for a project so I didnt take pics . But the TA bag bolted right up . The diffs in the rim from the TA , is the Monte/Camaro rim is quite a bit thicker and has the finger relief indents all around the backside . The diameter is the same . If u want the stock look , you will love this wheel over the teeny diameter of the firebird rim . Then just dye your stock pontiac bag black and swap out the blue rubber bulb caps in the monte controls with red bulb caps in your pontiac controls and your all set . The leather on the rim is the same grade as the leather on the 00-02 Camaro wheel .
FTW...again...for like the millionth time.
Thanks...again...for like the millionth time!

Quick Reply: Monte Carlo Steering Wheel Direct Replacement?