Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

04 GTO Traction Control problem.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 04 GTO Traction Control problem.

Hey everyone looked around the forum here and couldn't find to much out on this so figured I would ask. Now I'm not sure if this issue is maybe in some way due to somebody trying to delete traction control via a tune / ls1edit / hptuners / etc.

When I start the car everything is fine Traction control is enabled I can start driving hit the button to disable, hit the button enable, vice-versa without issue.

Someways into the drive (more than 1-2 minutes) I'll look down and see Traction control disabled, at this time no matter what the Traction control button is unresponsive won't enable or disable it. Traction control stays off until I turn off the car and start it again, this starts the same process over.

I'm pointing to maybe something in the tune just wanted to point it everyone's way here and see the easiest way to fix it, either tuning it myself or taking it to a tuner to have him fix.

Thanks everyone for your info in advance!
Old 08-02-2010, 09:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine did the same thing when I went SD tuned. It threw a code for the Throttle Position Sensor insufficient activity (P0121 I think). I don't know if the sensor went bad or the SD tune mucked it up. My tuner just went in with HPTuners and disabled/deleted that code and I haven't had the TC fail anymore and it works like it should again.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

My '05 had that problem when my MAF sensor was starting to go bad. I don't understand what the MAF had to do with traction control, but someone suggested I replace my MAF and that solved the problem. Weird.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:45 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the responses guys. Funny you mention that code Buzzmanb12, when I was installing all the AC parts this weekend my buddy used his ODBII scanner to check the codes on the car. I told him that the guy I got the car from said it was on for the rear o2 sensors (not sure why he didn't just tune them out) so when he went to check it pulled 3 codes not just those two. That third code was the Throttle Position Sensor code (didn't see the P0xxx number on his scanner), he went ahead and just cleared all of them of course to have them come back on after three starts.

Defiantly gives me something to check or look into since mines throwing that same code as yours and you said you had that same issue.

Robofuzz I actually google'd a bit looking for others with this issue and came across the MAF sensor either being bad or completely mucked up dirty causing this same wierdness with the traction control. May try giving that MAF a bath/soaking in brake cleaner and see maybe if that helps the issues in the meantime.

Thanks guys
Old 08-03-2010, 11:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

I wouldn't use brake cleaner on the sensor. They make MAF-safe electronics cleaner that you can get at Autozone.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:27 AM
Teching In

Thought about it after I posted lol. I have some electric cleaner for connectors and harnesses that I use all the time, should be fine on the MAF sensor and wires.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:27 PM
TECH Regular

I have the aeroforce scan gauges and used it to clear mine about 5-6 times and it came back every 2nd start. The 05-06's can have a MAF "patch" applied thru HPTuners that fixes the T/C issues for them. The 04's just have to get that code deleted.

The MAF is wired to everything it seems like! Like already discussed, clean it with electronics cleaner or something that doesn't leave a residue behind when it dries.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:24 AM
Teching In

Buzzmanb12, my light seems to come back on every 2nd/3rd restart no matter how many times I clear the throttle position sensor code. So for us 04 owners the fix for this traction control issue is to have that throttle position sensor code completely deleted?
Old 08-04-2010, 07:26 PM
TECH Regular

Correct. I asked over on ls1gtodotcom and nobody had an answer. My tuner contacted the guys at HPTuners and they didn't have a fix for it either so I had him just delete the code and it works like it is supposed to now.

Buzz
Old 08-05-2010, 08:27 AM
Teching In

Another thought is considering the car has 72k miles now would replacing the throttle position sensor seem like a fix for the code or simply is it probably tuning related that's got it out of wack (not sure what are signs of that sensor failing driving wise). Everything runs great other than the traction control disabling itself, I'm going to change the oil tonight and clean my MAF and clean my K&N filter. I thought about just replacing that TPS sensor maybe to see if that helps but if it's tuning related it would simply be a waste of money :o.

Thanks again guys really appreciate it!
Old 08-05-2010, 06:12 PM
TECH Regular

Mine started shutting itself off right after going SD, I drove it for 2 weeks like that and then changed the TPS out to see if mine was bad, same result! You can see if anyone close by has one they would let you use to test it with, pretty much any 98' and later TPS should work.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:23 AM
Teching In

After going SD? What's the SD stand for (sorry for my lamen on that one lol).

I did try to make some changes, cleaned out of the MAF very good which when I started it wasn't really that dirty to begin with. Also had a with a new TPS that was verified as just fine, swapped it on the car cleared the codes and the same thing happened. Even before getting the check engine light to come back on referncing that throttle position sensor it did the same thing.

The weird thing is that it's random, and it usually always does it at a stop. Sometimes it'll do it at the first full stop that I sit at over 10 seconds or so. Sometimes it'll do it after driving like 5-6 minutes at a stop. Sometimes it'll go a whole trip (short 8 mile trip) without shutting traction control off. I notice also that before it shuts off no issues I can switch it on or off, soon as it goes off I have no control.

I did also notice with my A4 that when it shuts off traction control and I can't turn it back on I notice also that when I'm going 45-50mph and attempt to kick the throttle to engage a down-shift it simply will not do it on it's own. Before it shuts off traction control I can drive 45-50mph kick the throttle and it shifts from 4th to 2/3rd depending on the need, when it shuts off transmission won't kick down on it's own.

Guess this pretty much brings me back to a tune issue or simply needing to delete that code as you mentioned. Tried cleaning the MAF and tried replacing the TPS with a new known good sensor. Really odd with the downshift issue, makes me wonder if it stops talking to that sensor and when that happens it shuts off the traction control (works with the throttle position right?) that at the same time it completely messes it up to track throttle position for the need to downshift in the event of trying to pass a car or speed up (etc.).

Strange strange I've exhausted a good bit of cleaning plugs and wires, checking wire, and doing the above. Next step may just be going to a tuner to look at next.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:13 AM
TECH Regular

Dude, EVERY one of those issues you listed were exactly the same as mine, EXACTLY!! You need to get that code deleted so it can't fail anymore.

What are your mods and year of car? SD tuned is Speed Density. It eliminates the MAF.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Teching In

It's a 2004 GTO A4/LS1. Mods are Texas Speed Stage 2.5 PRC LS6 heads, Texas Speed Torquer V2 (232/234) cam, Comp 918 Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Pacesetter LongTubes, SLP LM1 with X-pipe, and a K&N CAI. From what I've gathered it original got a base tune from CustomLS1tuning.com and then possibly a tune from Dynotune Motorsports out of Ohio.

I don't know how well the tune was done and what codes where deleted (as my rear o2's where deleted but the codes where not??) as some of it doesn't seem to make sense. Most likely I'm going to have to make a date with Dynospeed over in Memphis (hour from me) and let them get it on the dyno. I prefer to load a base stock tune and go from there because I feel like some things where not done right in the tune (questionable).

Thanks for the replys Buzzmanb12 sounds like we have the same year cars both A4's and had the same exact issue. Sounds like everything points to deleting the code for sure then. Hopefully I can get over there soon and have this car properly tuned along with deleting that and the rear o2 codes as well.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:43 PM
TECH Regular

Yup pretty similar cars and definately the same issue with the TC. You don't need to flash in a stock tune, that will just make it harder to get dialed in. A good tuner can make a few pulls to get a good baseline and dial it in. How far are you from Huntsville, Alabama? My tuner has the best rates by far.

Buzz
Old 08-10-2010, 09:35 AM
Teching In

LED tail lights will cause the t/c to mess up. made the cruse control not work on mine too.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:25 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tomahawk
LED tail lights will cause the t/c to mess up. made the cruse control not work on mine too.
Explain more in detail and how it was fixed.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:08 PM
Teching In

i had to install resistors on the brake light wire to "fool" the car into thinking it had filament bulbs. the lower resistance of the LED's causes an issue somewhere some how.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:18 PM
TECH Regular

That is wacky! I was hoping for something else because my cruise turns on but will not set.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:24 PM
Teching In

Buzzmanb12 I figured I would just have it dialed in with some pulls but I feel like the tune needs some good eyes on it. I have a guy at Dynospeed Racing in Memphis that is great though I always take recommendations . I'm about three hours from Huntsville, AL, maybe if I could schedule a Saturday I would make a trip out of it if he's pretty recommended .

tomahawk I've been busy digging hours on gtoforum.com and ls1gto.com on this issue and your right LED taillights do cause the issue with Traction Control disabling itself but from what I've heard it's instantaneous or more on a pattern. Issue here I went an entire 24 mile trip home from work missing all the lights and having brief stops at stop signs and I didn't have it come on once. Next drive out from the house I stopped at the first light and sat there for 30 seconds, not even 15 seconds it disables itself.

I also saw on the LED taillights that Cruise control breaks as well, my cruise control works fine before TCS kicks and even after TCS kicks off and causes the shift issues /etc. That rules that out (I don't have LED taillights to my knowledge either).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 04 GTO Traction Control problem.