Sponsored by:

Car wont launch or 60ft

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 01:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by meatman
Vids of car at the track.....
First run is just off idle to the floor. Second is loading the covertor till Im about to push through the brakes. Notice how it sound like somethings lugging the motor really hard when I launch?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYee5y0S_tQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27LANuccJSY
It sounded like it went to lockup at about 2k in the first vid, the second vid it sounded like it stalled up to maybe that high when you brake stalled it, my thoughts are that you have something wrong engaging the lockup, and secondary is that something is off in the trans tune, its banging rev limiter and could possibly have something whacked out in the tune making it go into lockup in first way down low. I dont think that there is a lock up provision in first but im not a tuner... Hope all that made sense im on a lot of pain pills right now.

But as stated above the car does not sound like its running right out of the hole, but it would make that same bog sound if it goes into lockup at low RPM.

I would say if you get going about 50 let off the gas and slam it and it does not hesitate then its not the engine most likely and that its just something wrong with the trans or trans tune, obviously something is wrong in one of those anyway since its bouncing off the rev limiter
Old 07-18-2010, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We fought the trans tune like crazy trying to get the 2-3 shift problem tuned out. It would never do it on the street, just when I went to the track. But 99% sure we have that fixed now with the different valve body and shift kit in it now, it hasnt done it on the street in the last couple of months all the times Ive driven it.

Im gonna pull the trans this week and my trans guy is coming over this weekend. We are gonna pull the pump out and see what we can find, and probably install one of the other pumps I have layin around.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by meatman
We fought the trans tune like crazy trying to get the 2-3 shift problem tuned out. It would never do it on the street, just when I went to the track. But 99% sure we have that fixed now with the different valve body and shift kit in it now, it hasnt done it on the street in the last couple of months all the times Ive driven it.

Im gonna pull the trans this week and my trans guy is coming over this weekend. We are gonna pull the pump out and see what we can find, and probably install one of the other pumps I have layin around.
Well for what its worth if I hot lap my car at the track a couple times it will hit the rev limiter on the 2-3 shift. But it never does on the street. So that tells me that somehow heat causes my transmission to shift lazily. May be the case with yours as well?

Good luck with it, if you find the problem let us know..
Old 08-04-2010, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

Just to update this

The car is fixed! Come to find out I had the wrong pump in the trans and stator was to short. I striped the splines on the end of the stator off. Put a different pump in it and its a fuggin rocket now!
Old 08-04-2010, 02:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And here's a big for the "something's wrong with your tune" crowd.

With the right pump and a new valvebody, the car is a rocket now and launches/shifts perfectly with zero changes to the tune.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:35 PM
10 Second Club

Glad you got it fixed. Now take it to the track.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:59 AM
11 Second Club

Glad to see the problem fixed.Curious about the pump.Do you know what pump was in it?I didn't think there are many choices for 4L60E pumps.I'm wondering if I could have a similar problem.Any more info would be great.Thanks
Old 08-05-2010, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

Any LS motor trans with the longer input shaft and the the removable bellhousing with the top bolt hole should have the longer pump stator shaft. I destroyed a pump like three years ago when convertor came apart and we ended up getting wrong pump from the trans shop then apparently. All the 700r4s and non LS 4L60es would have the shorter pump stator from everything Ive read.

Quick Reply: Car wont launch or 60ft