Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Size Wrenches Needed for Brake Lines?

Old 08-08-2010, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Size Wrenches Needed for Brake Lines?

What size flare nut wrenches do I need to remove the brake lines from my 2001 Camaro SS? I am mainly worried about the size of the small fitting coming off the hard line; it appears to be about 12 mm, but I'm not sure.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:57 PM
TECH Resident

12mm...plus a 14mm line wrench if you decide to remove and replace the lines above the rear end (one line w/o traction control and two lines w/ traction control), 12mm on one side and 14mm on the other. Just finished upgrading all six of my lines last weekend.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by vjo90rs8
12mm...plus a 14mm line wrench if you decide to remove and replace the lines above the rear end (one line w/o traction control and two lines w/ traction control), 12mm on one side and 14mm on the other. Just finished upgrading all six of my lines last weekend.
How difficult it is to change the lines, did you use bleeder and what kind of bleeder did you use? I just ordered my braided lines and I will be changing it soon.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bulletz28
How difficult it is to change the lines, did you use bleeder and what kind of bleeder did you use? I just ordered my braided lines and I will be changing it soon.
I plan on manually bleeding mine. I think some sort of tank that fits on top of the master cylinder reservoir would help keep the system from going dry. There is a specific sequence for when to pump the brake pedal and when to loosen and tighten the bleeder on the caliper. I imagine you would just about have to have a friend help you if you went the manual route. If you have to do it alone, there are write ups on using a "solo-bleeder" or "power bleeder" if you so desire.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

Oh, and thanks for the information. Can you tell a difference with the new lines? Did you replace any other brake parts?
Old 08-10-2010, 10:50 AM
TECH Resident

So far I haven't noticed any difference but I have yet to do any hard braking. My stock rubber lines were still in very good shape, so I'm sure there isn't going to be a huge improvement. I mainly changed them so that my entire brake system is mostly brand new...new rotors, new painted calipers, new hardware, new bolts, new brake lines, new pads, and new ATE fluid.
Also, I bought a Motive power bleed last week to bleed the brakes and I will never use anything else. So easy to use and you can be almost 100% sure you got all the air out of the lines.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:15 PM
On The Tree

So far I haven't noticed any difference but I have yet to do any hard braking. My stock rubber lines were still in very good shape, so I'm sure there isn't going to be a huge improvement. I mainly changed them so that my entire brake system is mostly brand new...new rotors, new painted calipers, new hardware, new bolts, new brake lines, new pads, and new ATE fluid.
Also, I bought a Motive power bleed last week to bleed the brakes and I will never use anything else. So easy to use and you can be almost 100% sure you got all the air out of the lines.
Where did you buy your bleeder do you happen to have a part no# or item no# ?
Old 08-10-2010, 12:44 PM
TECH Resident

ordered it from summitracing, part number is MVP-0108 which is for late model GM vehicles.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

ordered it from summitracing, part number is MVP-0108 which is for late model GM vehicles.
Thanks man I'm going to get one
Old 08-13-2010, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

didnt want to make a new thread, but what type of brake fluid are you guys using? i think recommended is dot 3?? i have a stainless line install to do. thankss
Old 08-13-2010, 07:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 214 Likes on 175 Posts

watch out....the nuts on the master cylinder are 1/2" ........ask me how i know
Old 08-13-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 on the Motive bleeder... I set it up and then open up all 4 bleeders (and then I cycle the solenoid/valves in the ABS block using a bidir scantool).

Lol, it takes longer to setup/teardown/cleanup the power bleeder and 4 bottles/tubes than the actual bleeding/flushing takes.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:57 AM
On The Tree

Default Need some help!

Ok, so what size is the correct size wrench to remove the stock rubber brake lines? Pretty sure there's no way a 14 mm in going on there. I'm using a 5/8" line wrench which seems to fit tight, but it's still slipping. Need some help, these things are very tight!
Old 08-17-2010, 05:22 PM
TECH Resident

the actual hard lines fittings are 12mm on all four corners. My 02 has traction control so there are two rubber lines that go over the axle, one side of each lines has a 12mm hard line fitting and the other side of each line has a 14mm hard line fitting. To get the line discounted use the proper line wrench (12mm or 14mm) on the hard line side and a 5/8" wrench on the rubber line side.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

the actual hard lines fittings are 12mm on all four corners. My 02 has traction control so there are two rubber lines that go over the axle, one side of each lines has a 12mm hard line fitting and the other side of each line has a 14mm hard line fitting. To get the line discounted use the proper line wrench (12mm or 14mm) on the hard line side and a 5/8" wrench on the rubber line side.
You were right all along vjo90rs8. I just didn't understand how the hard lines fit to the rubber hoses until I actually got the first one off. I was wondering why the fitting was so narrow on the rubber hose. Of course, all I had to do was turn the fitting on the hard line, and that notch in the rubber hose kept it from turning.

For anyone removing the stock brake lines, I would recommend using the correct size flare nut wrench (12 mm at all the corners and a mix of 12 mm and 14 mm in the back along the axle as vjo90rs8 has mentioned) on the hard line while the clip is left in place. Leaving the clip in place helped me break the line loose initially. You can also use vice grips on the rubber hose to hold it if you need more force to break everything loose.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Size Wrenches Needed for Brake Lines?